Skip to content

"We're All Doomed". Blackraven's No-Reload SCS runs, latest CHARNAME: Streg, Half-Orc Cleric/Thief

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @CrevsDaak, I agree that taking a warrior through BG1 is relatively easy with a warrior even in SCS, but with a WS I found that I had to plan ahead very carefully, and that even then there was still a luck factor that could simply end the run (e.g. the Ogre Mages that ambush you when you get teleported to Candlekeep by Eltan).
    As to the lack of protection against Stun (until the Flail of Ages +5 is acquired), it's one of the reasons I'll have the Vhailor's Helm simulacrum cast PfMagic on Kilbin in Mage fights, at least while my Magic Resistance and Saves aren't reliable yet.

@EA1, wow thanks my friend! Lots of good suggestions. To get a pair of Boots of Speed I was actually thinking of having Kilbin try to murder Renal Bloodscalp after completing the Mae'Var quest. He's supposed to wear a pair of the Boots as well. I agree that the Planar Prison quest is very hard.
    The main problem with the Shade Lord is his level drain. I'm not sure if it's a magical ability that can be warded off with PfMagic. If it isn't then I don't see how Kilbin could make it solo past him. Same for TorGal whose main threat is his ability to make Charname panic. I agree with your other assessments.

You've made me consider picking up an NPC every once in a while for their quests and maybe a a bit longer. Not sure yet at which point though. Like you said, doing the Planar Sphere with Valygar, Unseeing Eye with Keldorn, Temple Ruins with Mazzy etc. Or simply going with a party (the wizard wreckin' crew). It would probably the wisest decision in no-reload terms.

I don't think I'll dual class though. I haven't got much experience with dualclassing, so it could be a dangerous endeavour. The result of course would be a very powerful character...
    lolienjackjackJuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • EA1EA1 Member Posts: 31
    Hey BR!
    How would you kill Renal?
    You think youll post more content soon?
    Gr E
    jackjacklolienBlackravenRavenslight
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited November 2014
    @Blackraven‌ yeah, those Ogres are insane with SCS, and the problem with WS is that it's harder to have a good tactic.

A good trick to kill (mostly Divine) spellcasters in early BG2 is getting Namarra +2 (which has a lovely +4 bonus to damage) and using it's Silence 15' Radius 3/day ability, which if you don't cast spells is even better (and anyway you can easily get the Amulet of Power if you're playing vanilla). Also have Peridian Dragonslayer +2 in mind because of it's fear immunity (you can easily get a Helmet of Charm protection and forget about Adjhatha the Drinker +2) and Detect Invisible ability. Item abilities help a LOT when playing as a WS.

And about the Shade Lord... I think you could use the Improved Mace of Distruption (in the case you choose to upgrade it).
    BlackravenlolienJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2014
    hey @CrevsDaak, thanks for your Namarra tip :) I had forgotten about that weapon. Since the spellfailure penalty doesn't apply to priests, it's nice to have a weapon against them. Dragonslayer is indeed important as well.

You mentioned a Detect Invisible ability; is there a weapon providing that? Honestly I hate it when wizards go invisible and my WS can't do anything.

I think the Amulet of Power can't be used by non-casters, let alone WS. The only amulet that WS can wear is that of Seldarine I believe.

Edit: ah and the Mage of Disruption is not an option yet: I failed to bash the lock on Neb's door... Guess I'll be siding with the vampires lol
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Oh, I'm so sad for Kilbin ! You got so far in the game with a solo SCS WS, it was absolutely amazing ! What do you plan to run next ?
    Do you plan to play some no-reload IWDEE aswell ?
    CrevsDaakBlackravenJuliusBorisovRavenslight
    Normal difficulty = core. Sorry I thought normal was core but I see theres a difference. Core of course with max HP at the start of BG2. Erik
    @Gotural and @CrevsDaak, hahaha thank you for your sympathy! You're right @CrevsDaak in that those Halflings are very nasty! A Finger of Death has a -2 save penalty and my saves vs spell was 1, so I was pretty unlucky.
    It was a throroughly enjoyable run, though I must say I wasn't really comfortable with using the Simulacrum->PfMagic trick to beat the Shade Lord, because in my opinion the Shade Lord should have annihilated my Wizard Slayer at that stage of the game, a game which up till then may have constituted my most satisfactory playthrough from a strategical point of view.
    Anyway I've kind of become enamored with the poor Wizard Slayer, the underdog of underdogs, so I want to continue experimenting with them. Ideally I'd find a middle ground between superdifficult/impossible on the one hand and too easy on the other hand. I think I'm going to try my hand at EEKeepered Wizard Slayer multis (Thief, Druid, and Cleric all look interesting to me; Mage a bit less so). Could be refreshing...
    Will probably start with a /Thief and see if he can HiS right before the Ogre Mages ambush at the gates of Candlekeep triggers.
    At some point I'd like to do some no-reload Icewind Dale as well Gotural, what about you? Or do you have some no-reload BG in the pipeline?

@EA1, wow thank so much for your appreciation. Personally I don't consider myself a very adept player: too fond of taking risks, and my lack of success has faded my SoA/ToB knowledge a bit.
    I'm eager to read your playthrough, and honored that you're offering me to pick your Charname. It's very difficult for me to pick though, since I've got no clue what your playstyle and preferences are. Personally I'm not too fond of Mages because they're so powerful (they can do pretty much everything).
    As I said above, I'd like to experiment a bit more with the Wizard Slayer, so I'm not sure if we could run the same character through the game at more or less the same time. However, there are a number of classes and kits that are either unpopular or unexplored, and that I hope to play in the future. They include unmodded Shapeshifter, Assassin, Shadowdancer and Monk (with or without kit). Generally these classes/kits seem a bit hard to play solo, but that shouldn't put you off since you appear to be a seasoned SCS player :)
    Another, slightly less challenging class could be a Human Mage dualled at low level to Fighter. I think such a playthrough allows for a lot of improvisation with scrolls. You'll find plenty of random scrolls that might serve you, and you can't buy enough of the really good scrolls (Stoneskin, PfMW, Spell Immunity etc) to use them in all the encounters you'd like to. A journaled playthrough with such a character would be superinteresting to read.
    Well, hopefully you can find some inspiration in this. I for one, and with me many other would love to read about your playthrough!
    CrevsDaaklolienJuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I'm actually playing IWD for the first time thanks to the EE and I'm playing no-reload so far, it's been a blast to play. I'm running a Dwarven Defender ; Archer ; F/M/C ; F/M/T ; Avenger ; Bard party and the game has been pretty easy for the moment (everyone is between level 3 and 5, in the Shadow Valley).

For your next character, I agree a multi could be awesome. If you have the patience to do it, a EEKeepered Wisard Slayer / Assassin could truely become the ultimate mage slayer.
    BlackravenCrevsDaaklolienJuliusBorisov
    Gotural said:

For your next character, I agree a multi could be awesome. If you have the patience to do it, a EEKeepered Wisard Slayer / Assassin could truely become the ultimate mage slayer.

Yeah, that's a pretty good combo. I plan on running a Wizard Slayer/Enchanter/Sharpshooter (thief kit form Song and Silence), or maybe a Wizard Slayer/Illusionist/Sharpshooter… I'm not sure which one fits the most for an Enforcer-like high-trained all-situations-adept (sort of the Batman of the Forgotten Realms, LOL!) reluctant of being a Wild Mage because it's too cheesy (yeah, that's why I don't play Wild Mages nor Sorcerers, unless it's a no reload + no level-up/no items or such a madness like that) and I want to be able to cast Sleep for a new insane tactic for early game BG1 of Sleeping enemies and using HiS (because IIRC, HiS works when enemies are asleep on sight) to backstab them at a flashing speed.

Also I might start playing the EEs since Divine Remix is in beta for the EEs :D
    GoturaljackjackBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I'd be curious about an illegal Kensai/Avenger multi, or even just Kensai/Druid multi. Elemental forms would be beastly I reckon. The Avenger has Sword Spider too, which could be entertaining with the synergy.
    lolienBlackraven
    Hey BR. Your idea of the Mage1/FighterX sounds very interesting. He'd be able to use scrolls and wands and get a familiar! Are you even able to dual from level 1 or do you have to level up to 2 first? (can anyone confirm?).

How about a mage dualled at cleric from level 1? So i'd shadowkeep him a Mage1/ClericX dual. I'd give him 87 points like Imoen (I'd figure he's about as powerful as his little sister, who's also a Bhaal child, but not as OP as Sarevok - 95 points!).
    Would that be too OP? It would make it more easy, but also a bit more fun. What do you think?
    Erik
    lolienGoturalBlackraven
    edited November 2014
    Ok I started up EEKeeper and I have no way to make this char (mage2/cleric7) for BG2EE. I can only change stats from an existing save which levels him up to 7 immidiately. Am I missing something?

Edit: O wait I think I got it. I can make a level 1 or 2 mage and then dual, and then Cluaconsole in experience to a level 7 cleric. That would do it I suppose.
    Post edited by EA1 on
    lolienBlackravenCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    @Blackraven‌ yes, I'm a big fan of C/Ms (I played a Priest of Lathander->Mage through BG:EE and it was dead easy) and probably I'll play one next after my F/M/T (which will require a new BGT install because the actual one isn't the best and I want to use the Multikit mod which I am too lazy to update by myself, besides the EEs GUI suck when compared to BG2's).
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Assassin is a VERY fun solo in BG1. The Mercykiller in BG2 will be a huge early buff to your skills, and the poison can still work okay. I used it in ToB to good effect vs Fire Giants ages ago. Elf is a pretty good choice I agree. Should be interesting!
    BlackravenlolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    Oh, I was quite swamped at work, so didn't check the new messages on the forums for a long time. I will read this thread and comment on it, if needed, even though IWD:EE surely gets the major part of my attention at the moment :)
    lolienBlackravenCrevsDaakRavenslight
  • osarsiphosarsiph Member Posts: 4
    @Blackraven: Going back to the wizard slayer for a minute...

If I recall correctly you play on a non-EE installation. I was thinking that a certain item from BG2EE would be very useful for a WS, and I don't think I've seen anyone mention it yet:

Shield of Fyrus Khal +2
    AC +3
    Fire Resistance +10%
    Cold Resistance +10%
    Acid Resistance +10%
    Aura of Magical Protection: All allies within 10 ft. receive +5% Magical Resistance
    Charge Abilities: Spell Turning once per day (reflects 12 levels' worth of spells targeted at the user)

You can get this item almost right out of Irenicus Dungeon, with no fighting. The choice you have to make to get it is also very RP-appropriate for a WS.
    lolienJuliusBorisovBlackravenCrevsDaak
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    osarsiph said:

@Blackraven: Going back to the wizard slayer for a minute...

If I recall correctly you play on a non-EE installation. I was thinking that a certain item from BG2EE would be very useful for a WS, and I don't think I've seen anyone mention it yet:

Shield of Fyrus Khal +2
    AC +3
    Fire Resistance +10%
    Cold Resistance +10%
    Acid Resistance +10%
    Aura of Magical Protection: All allies within 10 ft. receive +5% Magical Resistance
    Charge Abilities: Spell Turning once per day (reflects 12 levels' worth of spells targeted at the user)

You can get this item almost right out of Irenicus Dungeon, with no fighting. The choice you have to make to get it is also very RP-appropriate for a WS.

These new items... Even a year after the BG2EE release I still haven't seen them all, as well as the new content in overall...
    lolienBlackravenCrevsDaak