Skip to content

The Ice Pits (Frozen Pits/Cold Pits)?

My favourite parts of the EEs thus far have been the Black Pits. So if there is a chance there will be more Pit fighting action in Icewind Dale so much the better! After all we need more Dale levels...

Anyone else hoping?

Comments

• RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    While I concede that the regular campaign is indeed fairly hack & slash, for multiplayer pickup I find the Pits to be great for getting friends to jump in for a quick fight or two.

I am now entertained, thank you!
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    No problem =)

I never got a chance to play the Pits w/ my friends. We just played the main campaign and even then we didn't get very far. I think we stopped somewhere along the Cult of the Unseeing Eye before real life rudely took over.

I feel that IWD is more multiplayer friendly already since it's more of a tactical hack and slash to begin with. The need for Pits, while nice, would seem a tad bit excessive and may at the moment interrupt what these folks are working on. Maybe once the game is released and running smoothly, I'd be open minded about adding some Pit action.
  • Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    Black Pits was really a way of replicating the fun of IWD's custom-made parties and combat focus in a game that has a big focus on exploration and RP. I don't think Icewind Dale needs it.

What I would like to see (besides joinable NPCs... but that ain't gonna happen) is a multi-level dungeon ala Watcher's Keep or the Endless Paths of Od Nua, accessible at any stage in the plot, as optional side content.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Fardragon said:

IWDEE will include a bonus adventure where you recruit a party of jNPCs, then you all go to a party and stand around chatting whilst trying to initiate a romance.

That… sounds like Second Life.
    *flees*
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Fardragon said:

IWDEE will include a bonus adventure where you recruit a party of jNPCs, then you all go to a party and stand around chatting whilst trying to initiate a romance.

Could actually be fun to have some Tentowns village full of story, exploration, intrigue, NPCs and romance with little or no combat. :D

No problem =)

I never got a chance to play the Pits w/ my friends. We just played the main campaign and even then we didn't get very far. I think we stopped somewhere along the Cult of the Unseeing Eye before real life rudely took over.

I feel that IWD is more multiplayer friendly already since it's more of a tactical hack and slash to begin with. The need for Pits, while nice, would seem a tad bit excessive and may at the moment interrupt what these folks are working on. Maybe once the game is released and running smoothly, I'd be open minded about adding some Pit action.

That is why I so like the Pits: each fight is fairly quick and self contained; thus it is easy to make steady progress over a lengthy period of time without overly worrying about real life issues.

Certainly IWD includes some epic fights but there is often some travel and/or conversation involved between them. Not so much while Pit fighting.

Sorry, I had to.

Yes, exactly: there is more Ice, there is more Wind, what we still need is more Dale!
    CamDawg said:

I suggested 'Ice Holes', and the battles would simply be waves and waves of Drizzts.

For some reason, the rest of the team didn't take this as a serious suggestion.

Most unfortunate. A 'survival' wave challenge would be an awesome addition to the EEs, regardless of who/what is being fought. MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    goblins?
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Need more randomized treasure drops.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2014
    CamDawg said:

I suggested 'Ice Holes', and the battles would simply be waves and waves of Drizzts.

For some reason, the rest of the team didn't take this as a serious suggestion.

But why? I can see the plot development as the group fights wave after wave of time travelling Drizzts from the future! :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I dunno. Between BGEE & BG2EE you have pretty much every interesting enemy. I wouldn't want them to commit resources to replicated the theme, with the mediocre inclusion of Yetis, who aren't actually any different from Ogres in terms of the tactics needed to kill them. As has been said already, IWD is hack'n'slash enough that there isn't anything you could gain from a IWD Black Pits that couldn't already be achieved by just playing the Black Pits. I would rather they dedicated resources to more magical items, new areas, and cool shopkeepers.

I dunno. Between BGEE & BG2EE you have pretty much every interesting enemy. I wouldn't want them to commit resources to replicated the theme, with the mediocre inclusion of Yetis, who aren't actually any different from Ogres in terms of the tactics needed to kill them. As has been said already, IWD is hack'n'slash enough that there isn't anything you could gain from a IWD Black Pits that couldn't already be achieved by just playing the Black Pits. I would rather they dedicated resources to more magical items, new areas, and cool shopkeepers.

Not every enemy is in the Black Pits and as you even concede IWD has new enemies as well.

IWD may be hack & slash enough for you, but there are those of us that would still like more and I at least would prefer some resources go towards continuing the EE Pit tradition with starting a new Ice Hole!
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Add some turnips!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited September 2014
    I'm fine with them including a black pits mode in the game, but if they do I hope that they do something to make it interesting and different from the main game. I'd really like to fight against some high-level druids for once. Or high-level mages who actually use some spells other than Mirror Image and Stoneskin.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @CamDawg - I expect a mod of that once IWD:EE is out :P
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Interesting idea. I have yet to get in to the black pits 2.0, but I did love black pits 1.0 a lot.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    An arena in which you could choose which enemies to fight would be fun. Combine all the bosses from the main game and face them all at once, or fight multiple copies of the same villain. Perhaps, to avoid spoilers, significant story line enemies would have to be unlocked by encountering them first in the main game.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    instead of another black pits for iwd release a HoF mode revamp DLC
    Could not get traction for your own threads...?

As has been stated, there are no differences in the HoF mode itself. What can happen is that a mob spawned before enabling HoF will have the difficulty settings of whatever difficult was set before HoF was enabled. This is only (very) temporary and lasts until you spawn new mobs under HoF.

Easy way to avoid this is to the set the difficulty to Insane directly before starting a new game and enabling HoF.

Regardless, we really think an opportunity was missed by not including the Ice Pits! Hopefully this glaring oversight will be rectified shortly after the BG2:EE 1.3 patch and the IWD backporting is completed.

Your pit fighting fans would thank you Beamdog! <3