Skip to content

"We're All Doomed". Blackraven's No-Reload SCS runs, latest CHARNAME: Streg, Half-Orc Cleric/Thief

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited November 2014
    @osarsiph, wow man! you must have telepathic skills or something :D Thanks for pointing this out.
    Yesterday I left my Assassin in BG City, and rolled another Wizard Slayer, simply because I want to see more of them in SoA.
    It's such a rewarding experience to make progress with a WS, more so to me than with most other classes. (Maybe the unmodded Shapeshifter could be a candidate as well.)

I'm playing BGEE and BG2EE, so the shield should be available to my WS, who was drooling all over the item description haha. Like @bengoshi, I hadn't heard of the item and I've got no idea how to get it. I understand that it's related to Neera's quest. Do I have to recruit her?
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • osarsiphosarsiph Member Posts: 4
    Yes, you have to recruit Neera to get it, but only very briefly--something I personally would allow for a solo run. You have to:

-Have the first scripted encounter with Neera in the Bridge District, then talk to her in the cutscene when you leave the district. No need to recruit her then. She will put the Wild Forest on your map.
    -Go the the Wild Forest. Neera will be there and talk to you as soon as you arrive, about getting through the forest to the Hidden Refuge. There is a dialog option to say you don't want her to join you but you will meet her there. I think there is a bug relating to this option that I will describe below.
    -Once you make your way through the Wild Forest you can travel to the Hidden Refuge. Hayes is outside the door and will not let you in without Neera. This is where I think there is a bug, at least in my installation. Based on your conversation earlier, I would expect Neera to be outside the gate waiting for you, but in fact, she is inside the camp where you can't get to her. I solved this by Ctrl-J'ing inside the camp, Ctrl-Q'ing Neera into my party, and Ctrl-J'ing back outside the camp, at which point Neera starts dialog with Hayes to let you in. If you don't want to use the console (and you have the same bug), I think you would need to take Neera through the Wild Forest with you.
    -Once you are in the Hidden Refuge, talk to Amanis and Kirik Khal. I don't think it really matters what you say to them.
    -If you leave the Refuge and come back, Kirik will be gone. (I think you may have to go to the Wild Forest to trigger his disappearance.) Amanis will ask you to find him.
    -Go to the Wild Forest and find Kirik, then return to the Refuge and talk to Amanis again.
    -To get the Shield of Fyrus Khal, you need to choose the dialog option to advise Amanis not to let Kirik practice wild magic anymore--appropriate for a WS. She will give you the shield as a reward.
    BlackravenNimranJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    @DreadKhan, they're very f-ing badass :D
    At least for the time being, I have yet to see for myself how the Assassin fares in SoA and ToB.

My skillpoint distribution at level 10 (unenhanced by items) is:
    Open Locks: 30
    Find Traps: 65
    Pickpockets: 40
    Move Silently: 68
    Hide in Shadows: 68
    Detect Illusions: 10
    Set Traps: 65

I could have developed the stealth skills a bit less and the traps skills a bit more, but I knew I was going to use stealth a lot in chateau Irenicus. I think I will simply not invest in locks and pickpockets until all the other skills are well-developed, which will take me at least 12-13 levels.
    JuliusBorisovlolienRavenslightCrevsDaak
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    You're becoming increasingly efficient in managing Sarevok and BG1 overall :) Congrats on "other day, other Sarevok defeated"!

Those crazy backstabs... you'll see even more of them in BG2 with the x7 multiplier.

The skillpoint distribution looks very solid. In BG2 I would start improving Detect Illusions - mages will be the main threat here.
    lolienRavenslightBlackravenCrevsDaak
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    The starting dungeon is done, phheew!

I would pay attention to being injured - with 80 HPs it's better to travel and to start fights in full health. That picture of held Eydan from the Candlekeep catacombs is still in front of my eyes...

Good luck to Eydan!
    BlackravenRavenslightlolienCrevsDaak
    I'm glad the WS idea is deep into you. I hope you'll make it one day :) Let's hope Thani will be lucky!

It's interesting that with Thani you came to what I chose for my own WS, i.e. maces and short bows in BG1, instead of darts and longswords. The moment I stopped that run (although it wasn't a reason for a stop, my totemic druid's run was) I thought that my choice was wrong and wanted to try darts and longswords :) It seems, there's not much difference in what weapon to specialize in for a warrior, though. The main thing is to use the appropriate gear when it's needed.
    lolienCrevsDaak
    Thank you @bengoshi :) I'm going to try to be more careful... and to not use the Vhailor's Helm trick :P
    I think the best way to go about it might be to start different quests and do them up to when they become really difficult. It would enable the WS to get as much XP as possible at minimal risk.

As to weapon picks, I've tried many combinations, and I think that ** in both darts and shortbows for ranged and in hammers or longswords for melee would be ideal for BG1. However, for BG2, longswords aren't that great except for special abilities (but you don't need proficiency for those) and the only outstanding hammer imo is Crom Fraeyr (which as an offhand weapon only requires one pip).
    Otoh maces (for the Mace of Disruption), and shortbows (for the Tuigan Bow) are really nice.
    JuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Where do you get your portraits from btw?
    lolien
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    For a Wizard Slayer, DUHM is a really, really good power... might not be a bad call to clear up nearly everything before going to the Underdark, unless you think The Slayer will be useful. Then again, after the Underdark you could plausibly build Crom Faeyr, a very, very good weapon for you, and a handy lock pick. ;) Is Slayer immune to Mind Flayer stuns? Clearing out The Hidden isn't fun without immunity to stun.

Killing SCS Torgal seems pointlessly difficult, but its your call obviously.
    lolienBlackravenJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Doesn't Aegir hide protect from Confusion?
    BlackravenlolienCrevsDaak
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I don't know if there is always a 1% chance of failure with Magic Resistance, but I know for sure there is always a 5% chance of failure with saves. I even took a screenshot of it.
    My F/M/T was casting Spirit Armor, which imposes a save vs spell at +0 to avoid suffering 2d4 damage at the end of the normal duration of the spell. And even with a save vs spells of -12 before casting, and -15 after casting, I managed to fail the save once.
    JuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak