Skip to content

The best and the worst part of IWDEE

What is your favourite part of game and what part you hate?
I didn't like Dragon's Eye. It is long boring dungeon with many repetitive encounters. Another boring parts are Gloomfrost Caverns.
I think, the best part are locations around Lower Dorn's Deep, bacause, they are not very vast and they are quite diverse. On the ather hand, Lower Dorn's Deep was almost sunday walk even on insane level, bacause at this moment, my party was ridiculously powerful. In general, I think the difficulty is decreasing as you level up and get good equipment.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    My favourite part is the Severed Hand. You come there not knowing what to expect and step-by-step explore and find out what has happened to all those elves.

I like how the story there unfolds, how shadows still think they're alive. Some details in the Severed Hand are simply great: the destruction of the Labelas Tower and how it looks like, the ability to refresh the pool in the priests' Tower, the librarian and, of course, the chamber with the Astrolabe.

And about boring parts... I still haven't met any. My party has just finished the Museum area and so far I've enjoyed every location the party visited.

I cannot say that Dragon's Eye was a boring dungeon: the fights there were appealing and interesting. I've liked the difficulty level of this dungeon in general and the fact that at each level you meet different enemies and have to use different tactics to deal with them.
    atcDave
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2014
    @bengoshi
    "Astrolabe.... whirls... *TWIRLS!!*"

That always makes me chuckle xD
    JuliusBorisov
  • namelesstwonamelesstwo Member Posts: 15
    i`m BG freak but i never played Icewind Dale up until EE version came out. I just finished my first playthrough and i enjoyed it for the most parts. i think my favourite part was also the Lower Dorn's Deep but i also found Dragon's Eye to be pretty fun. Worst part, for sure, was the 2 catacombes dungens in ToL: the one with the tombs was annoying due to certain kind of monster (you know what im talking about...) and the other one (one with the alters and flewed gems) was just... lets say it makes lvl 2 in Durlag`s Tower looks like real fun :-(
    atcDave
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    Best

Severed Hand/Burial Isle (outdoors)

- I like the history behind Severed Hand and the weird magical broken stairway. I also like the outdoor area of Burial Isle. There aren't enough challenging outdoor areas in the game (and those that are often end up being annoying because of how much they wind around.

Worst

Anything ToLM (I dislike dungeon crawling)
    JuliusBorisov
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Worst part - I don't have it yet! >.<
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I really like the vale of shadows, I found it very challenging. The severed hand was really confusing, and I think it had a few bugs(played in beta) but I liked the atmosphere and story there. I haven't quite finished it but upper Dorn's deep was probably my least favorite part. I had to use dimension door to get into the one mages tower, and at this point in the game I'm really sick of dungeon crawling.
    jackjack
  • AzzaraAzzara Member Posts: 184
    edited November 2014
    I started playing Icewind Dale a few months ago so I remember my first impressions. I was in the beta of IWDEE as well.

My least favorite part was Kresselack's Tomb. The whole key hunting business was really confusing the first and second time I played it.
    My favorite part was discovering Lysan in one of the caves by noticing that there's no torch burning on the entrance of this particular cave.
    elminster
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I like lower levels; so for me the best is Vale of Shadows and Dragon's Eye. Especially Dragon's Eye; I think its right when I start to feel powerful in the game. Especially Level 2 with the Ziggarat fight and Level 5 with all those Yuan-Ti falling before me (!).

Least favorite is ToLM. Especially the two big dungeons. That first one, outside the Keep is ridiculously big and tedious. And then the bottom level of dungeon under the Keep. Uggh. Too long, and too much retracing your steps.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AlketirAlketir Member Posts: 6
    I'd like to say that Trials of the Luremaster had parts I liked, and parts I didn't. For liked, I enjoyed some of the riddles and puzzles (even though I got lost on one because 1) I took out the items hinting to it thinking it was just loot, and 2) I didn't realize the four rooms up had stairs down :V ).

I kinda liked whatever teleported my characters around in the catacombs, if only because it led to the moment where my Blackguard soloed the undead in the room she got sent in while my party hacked through their way to her. And I liked the buildup to what exactly was going on in the quest.

On the other hand, it was rather boring due to long paths, spectral guards are really tough jerks, and the flawed gem quest went way too long.
    elminsteratcDave
  • macomeaumacomeau Member Posts: 80
    I love the general atmosphere of the game: the frozen north, the sound design with the howling wind, the score.The frozen everything, the reprieve in Kuldahar.

And I don't like Trials of the Luremaster. It moves to a different setting, with worse atmosphere, and it's long and tedious. I've run through it once, and I may not do it again on replays.
    atcDave
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited November 2014
    My favorite part was Dragon's Eye. It's just a very unique, non-cliched place. Honestly, when's the last time in a video game you went inside a DORMANT volcano, which was inhabited by sentient life and NOT by waves of fire monsters? Like, seriously?

My least favorite parts were all those times when you had to backtrack all the way through an area (or even worse, backtrack all the way through an area to get to a cave where you have to do a single relatively easy battle, go forward all the way through the area AGAIN, finish the quest, then backtrack all the way thorough the area YET AGAIN and FINALLY return to Kuldahar).
    atcDave