Skip to content

Increase reputation with donations ?!?

3leeTbger3leeTbger Member Posts: 71
In BG:EE and BG2:EE, one could increase reputation by donating in temples.

Is this possible in IWD:EE ?

Just tried entering the temple in the starter village while having reputation 11, tried a single donation of 1100 gold pieces, nothing happened, no reputation increase.

In BG2:EE this would have increased rep from 11 to 12 (700 gold needed).

Table from BG2:EE :

— 20
— 19
— 18
5000 17
2500 16
2000 15
1500 14
1200 13
900 12
700 11
500 10
400 9
300 8
200 7
400 6
500 5
1000 4
1000 3
1200 2
1500 1

Post edited by 3leeTbger on

Comments

• RedViiperRedViiper Member Posts: 48
    I did the same. Think it's a bug
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    Table for IWDEE (as detailed in page 368 in the 2nd manual)
    Score 		Murder 		Price Adjustment Donation
    1 - +900% 5000
    2 -1 +900% 4000
    3 -1 +100% 3000
    4 -1 +50% 2000
    5 -2 +40% 1000
    6 -2 +30% 750
    7 -2 +20% 500
    8 -2 +20% -
    9 -3 +10% -
    10 -4 - -
    11 -4 - -
    12 -5 - -
    13 -5 - -
    14 -5 - -
    15 -6 -5% -
    16 -7 -10% -
    17 -8 -15% -
    18 -9 -20% -
    19 -10 -25% -
    20 -10 -30% -
    Post edited by elminster on
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    edited November 2014
    A quick look into Manual and I have an answer for you =D
    Donation
    The amount of gold that must be donated to raise the party’s reputation one point. Note
    that you cannot raise your reputation above 8 by donating to temples; only good deeds
    will see you recognized as a true hero.
    EDIT
    Heh, @Jalily‌ beat me to it... For some reasons I have big problems with this forum since today's 'upgrade' of my internet connection.

EDIT2
    Apparently @elminster‌ as well =P
  • superliminaldudesuperliminaldude Member Posts: 27
    Are there any opportunities to raise reputation outside of donations? If there are I haven't found any. Reputation in this game seems like mostly just an artifact from being built off of BG. Nice that they added in a way to increase your rep if you "accidentally" kill an innocent, though.

Are there any opportunities to raise reputation outside of donations?

I don't believe so no.
  • RedViiperRedViiper Member Posts: 48
    edited November 2014
    I'm glad this game is modding friendly
    Post edited by RedViiper on
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

Nice that they added in a way to increase your rep if you "accidentally" kill an innocent, though.

Been there. done that. Haven't we all 'accidentally' killed an innocent or thirty? I mean just on my way somewhere. You know. to Kill time?

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Yeah go ahead, donate all your money to the priests of Sseldath. Or that ghost sitting around near the dwarf graveyard. I'm sure they'll make you a hero again.
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    So the bottom line is that you cannot raise the reputation in this game unless you are under 8? No quest will increase reputation? Only EE Keeper?
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376

So the bottom line is that you cannot raise the reputation in this game unless you are under 8? No quest will increase reputation? Only EE Keeper?

That seems to be correct, unless they added reputation rewards in EE.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i did all the quests in icewind dale ee and there was no reputation increase anywhere
  • Then Rep is useless in game.. Murdering should only turn the whole village against you. And maybe let your pally fall.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    sarevok57 said:

i did all the quests in icewind dale ee and there was no reputation increase anywhere

Congrats on beating IWDEE already! :)
  • LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
    I donated a load of money to the Kuldahar temple to increase my reputation. Every time there was a temple response saying something like 'Your donation was greatly appreciated'.
    This is a bug. If your reputation doesn't increase then the temple's response should be, 'Like, yeah. Thanks whatever.'
    And since they're priests of Ilmater and seek a life of poverty I'm guessing they would have given all the money away to the poor locals. Were the commoners suddenly dressed in bright colours? Did anyone approach me and say 'Liking my new jerkin, thanks.'? Nope. Clearly the temple made out that it was all their generosity.

Don't Donate.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Ligg said:

I donated a load of money to the Kuldahar temple to increase my reputation. Every time there was a temple response saying something like 'Your donation was greatly appreciated'.
    This is a bug. If your reputation doesn't increase then the temple's response should be, 'Like, yeah. Thanks whatever.'
    And since they're priests of Ilmater and seek a life of poverty I'm guessing they would have given all the money away to the poor locals. Were the commoners suddenly dressed in bright colours? Did anyone approach me and say 'Liking my new jerkin, thanks.'? Nope. Clearly the temple made out that it was all their generosity.

Don't Donate.

And where the heck would the people of Kuldahar buy bright-colored clothes from? Especially with the avalanche having sealed off the pass and all. Chances are the temple just uses the money to commission Orrick to make magical warmth-generating cloaks for the commoners.
    jackjack said:

You can't just go around bribing northerners.

Challenge accepted :D
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Sceptenar said:

jackjack said:

You can't just go around bribing northerners. Word gets out.

The north remembers!
    You realise some politicians are northerners right?
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    wubble said:

Sceptenar said:

jackjack said:

The north remembers!
    You realise some politicians are northerners right?
    The north has no shame!
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited November 2014
    I can't read that table from the manual. Is there actual numbers without having to do algebra? I don't want to carry the 2 when I need to raise my rep so I can kill this guy and not end up with a fallen paladin.
    edited November 2014
    Edit: Nevermind
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    jackjack said:

You know you're a Professional Jerk when Nym starts overcharging...

Nym: Sure, I might be the slimiest scum bag the North never heard of, but you Heros of Kuldahar make me sick!

Party Face: Yeah, well, sticks and stones, darky!

Party Reputation Drops to 0. Racism is a special kind of evil... even if its justified. Next time talk to the Paladin's ghost!
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I would concede that Nym shouldn't care about reputation.
  • misteridmisterid Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2014
    jackjack said:

Donations to a church are hardly bribes. I guess I should consider the 40 lbs of rice I donated to a church group (real life) a bribe so that all those that ate it will wander around telling people about some dude that donated a bunch of rice and how awesome he is?

Donating money should increase your reputation, period. You are giving money away so that the church can use it. If you give it to a church of a goodly god then there is a reasonable expectation that that money would be used to help people. If that type of donation is a bribe, then any action your character takes that is altruistic must be viewed as differently. Essentially you are saying that these "altruistic" acts are actually done so that the person owes your character something—that your character can come back at a later date and say something like "Remember that favor I did you? Now it is time for you to repay me." Not altruistic at all.

Anyway, I know I went over the top on a humorous post, but my point is that donating to churches really should increase your rep beyond 8. And, if there is truly no way to increase rep then it should be remove from the game.

Id
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606

I would concede that Nym shouldn't care about reputation.

He would gouge all his customers. He's an equal opportunity offender.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    I realize this is an old post, but I think you should at least be able to raise your rep through donations to "Average". Which I think is 9? The fact that you can raise it from a "7" to an "8" and gain nothing (since the % markup for both scores is the same) is kind of pointless. Honestly, it'd be really great if reputation gains were worked into the quests, and some of the dialogue choices, and the rep system was set exactly the same as BG. Never understood why it is kind of half in the game. Either use the system, or don't imo.
  • RyanFialcowitzRyanFialcowitz Member Posts: 16

I realize this is an old post, but I think you should at least be able to raise your rep through donations to "Average". Which I think is 9? The fact that you can raise it from a "7" to an "8" and gain nothing (since the % markup for both scores is the same) is kind of pointless. Honestly, it'd be really great if reputation gains were worked into the quests, and some of the dialogue choices, and the rep system was set exactly the same as BG. Never understood why it is kind of half in the game. Either use the system, or don't imo.

Editing REPUTATI.2DA to suit your needs is fairly painless. You can set the costs and how high you can go with donations- all the way up to twenty if you feel like it !