Skip to content

(Very) low Wisdom

Hey there,

are there any disadvantages to a Wisdom score of 3 in IWD:EE specifically? By that I mean not only in combat but also in conversations. In other words, is there any merit to having a decent Wisdom score on the party leader?

Things I'm reasonably sure of already:

- Wisdom based casters get bonus spells
- Wisdom affects the outcome of 'Limited Wish' and 'Wish' (Wisdom potions can cover this part)
- there are *NO* saving throw boni or penalties for high or low Wisdom
- Wisdom applies a bonus or penalty to your 'Lore' value

Anything else I should be concerned about?
PK2748

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    That's about it. Maybe some items might require a min Wis score but those would be very rare.
    MrGoodkatjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    You got it completely right, unless you are a cleric, want lore, or want to cast a Wish spell, there is no reason to have any WIS. You can go down to 3 without a problem (except RP concerns).
    MrGoodkat
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167

You got it completely right, unless you are a cleric, want lore, or want to cast a Wish spell, there is no reason to have any WIS. You can go down to 3 without a problem (except RP concerns).

RP concerns as in personal feelings about a char with 3 Wisdom or actual changes in certain story dialogues?
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    there is some dialogue in shadows of amn that requires 18 wisdom but as far as i know there isn't any in icewind dale. you can always use a potion should it crop up anyway
    MrGoodkatJuliusBorisov
  • macomeaumacomeau Member Posts: 80
    There's one (not entirely spectacular) item that requires a bard with wisdom of 13+.
    MrGoodkatjackjackJuliusBorisovAristillius
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    MrGoodkat said:

RP concerns as in personal feelings about a char with 3 Wisdom or actual changes in certain story dialogues?

I can't recall any situations where dialogues change based on WIS, but I may just not know. Still, it's probably very minor stuff at best, and nothing involving story progression etc.
    MrGoodkatelminster
    Ok, thx mates =)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    Erevain Blacksheaf (the elf in the inn in Easthaven) has a handful of dialogues that you can access if you have low wisdom (as well as low intelligence and low charisma in at least one case). But its nothing significant. Mostly just amusing.

Jermsy (the boy you need to talk to convince him to go to Kuldahar who is found in the area between Easthaven and Kuldahar - aka the one with the mill) also has a response for you that changes if you have lower wisdom.

Gloomfrost Seer and Tiernon also have a few checks.

But other than the wish spells it won't have much impact on dialogue.
    MrGoodkatShikaoJuliusBorisov
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    And hey, if you have a wisdom that low, I've some land in Florida that I'd like to talk with you about. And I know a prince in Nigeria that wants to give you some money as well. So that should be a win for ya.
    Aristillius
    @elminster: Thanks!
    @the_spyder: Are you confusing wisdom with intelligence?
    JuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    MrGoodkat said:

@elminster: Thanks!
    @the_spyder: Are you confusing wisdom with intelligence?

Well, on these boards people with low wis are required to make stupid choices, even if they might warrant an int check. ;)

The mental stats pretty much revolve around int, kinda like both cons and dex in real life ard generally a function of strength. *shrug* they don't exclusively necessarily, but yeah, DnD stats don't convert well to real life.
    @DreadKhan: Just like I'm not a Fighter/Mage/Thief in real life you mean? ;D
    jackjack
    ...you aren't min maxing?!

Everyone knows life is a solo insane SCS (precognitive enemies) no reload run.

Don't be the guy trying this as a lvl 1 commoner!
    Nimran
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Yes, you must answer the call of adventure! Now go out and slay some gazebos, for JUSTICE!
    jackjack
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    And intelligence of 3 is also fine. No mind flayers running around feasting on northerner's brains.

With BG always at least 11 INT. :)
    @MrGoodkat - a low intelligence might say these might be fraudulant. But a low wisdom would say 'But what if they aren't?'
    Nimran said:

Yes, you must answer the call of adventure! Now go out and slay some gazebos, for JUSTICE!

That said, poverty runs are stupid if you aren't a sorcerer.
    Nimran
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    macomeau said:

There's one (not entirely spectacular) item that requires a bard with wisdom of 13+.

What!? Thats like having a mage specific weapon that requires a strength of 18+! Bards aren't meant to be wise! It messes with their whimsey!
    rufus_hobartjackjack
  • macomeaumacomeau Member Posts: 80
    It lets them cast a specific divine spell, so I guess it makes sense.
    LaflammeShikaoJuliusBorisov
  • WelkinWelkin Member Posts: 14
    Queegon said:

And intelligence of 3 is also fine. No mind flayers running around feasting on northerner's brains.

With BG always at least 11 INT. :)

Doesn't int affect some dialogue options or is that just charisma?
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Int definatly affects some dialogues.

And you need Int 9 to use scrolls and wands.
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I find that roleplaying very low Wisdom can be fun... and also painful. Characters that I care about usually need some sort of flaws to make playing them interesting, and low Wisdom can mean many things. Bad judgment, impulsiveness, low empathy, selfishness, imperceptiveness, gullibility, etc. They might still be intelligent, even a genius, but it takes someone else to point out the "common sense" answer to them (at which point their Int score recognizes the merit of their argument... usually).
    ShikaoMrGoodkatjackjackBlackraven

I find that roleplaying very low Wisdom can be fun... and also painful. Characters that I care about usually need some sort of flaws to make playing them interesting, and low Wisdom can mean many things. Bad judgment, impulsiveness, low empathy, selfishness, imperceptiveness, gullibility, etc. They might still be intelligent, even a genius, but it takes someone else to point out the "common sense" answer to them (at which point their Int score recognizes the merit of their argument... usually).

That's a nice way to look at it.
    jackjack
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I percieve wisdom as common sense...

Adventurers usually have low wisdom... Really low...

(Peasant with average wisdom score)
    Dare you to go underground into a ghoul infested dungeon!

(Adventurer with wisdom score of 3.)
    But I was going anyway after I drink from this murky looking potion bottle I found randomly in a barrel?
    ShikaojackjackNimranDreadKhan
    Anduin said:

Particularly Gnomes? (joke)
    Nimran

Anduin said:

Particularly Gnomes? (joke)
    Just because Gnomes have a penalty to wisdom doesn't give you the right to stereotype them as unwise! (Also joke)
    the_spyderNimran
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    WHAAAAT!

*Anduin's floating skull visibly vibrates with rage*

You joke? YOU JOKE!

Gnomes are by far the wisest race in Faerun!

Why you ask?

*Anduin starts spitting and foaming at the mouth*

Because those who roll and choose to play an adventure as a Gnome are the wisest Badass's you'll ever likely to meet!

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD JOKE ABOUT THA-

*Anduin's skull explodes into a million fragments*
    LordRumfishNimranjackjackJuliusBorisov
    Well, that's one less gnome we have to worry about. My work here is done... :-)
    Nimran
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Nah, he'll be back. They always come back.
    JuliusBorisov