Skip to content

Fandoms that you're a part of that you hate

Comments

• CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    We are and we do, because there are a ton of great communities out there, but my zinger was as broad as saying "the internet" or "internet trolls".
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2014
    Its all good, I love plenty of people who play games, but "gamers" have let me down in 2014.

Edit: I don't want to start this whole thing up again.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Cats
    meagloth said:

Cats

The musical fans, or "crazy cat people"?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    CoryNewb said:

meagloth said:

Cats

The musical fans, or "crazy cat people"?
    I'd guess both.
  • Gold_RupeeGold_Rupee Member Posts: 3
    I'd like to join in the discussion! I too found that the Star Wars community was pretty toxic along with the Metal community. I've stopped playing MMOs pretty much altogether because when I start playing I usually just turn off general chat and then just end up playing alone. (Which is against the entire point of an MMO) It's not that I don't have friends who like MMOs, I do, but most of the time our schedules don't really line up well.

Another fandom I think I'd say would be to classify myself as a 'gamer' or 'nerd'. Even though I believe I could rightly call myself one (Been playing D&D basically since I could breathe along with about every RPG that has hit North American shelves). Because like I am sure most of you know, there is a certain level of 'elitist' behavior. Plus, now there seems to be so much political drama involved with the 'gamer' or 'nerd' scene that I'd rather just not mention that I am associated with it.

Basically, I think you should just play/read/watch/enjoy/etc whatever it is you want and that you don't or SHOULDN'T have to 'prove' yourself to the community. I mean, who really cares who's a better fan anyway? If anything, I'd say it's in the advantage of the lesser fan because they have more to experience. That's my tidbit!
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    For me, it would be probably Naruto. Althought I don't hat the fandom as a whole, but people I call "rabid shippers", who doesn't care about anything other than which girl the titluar hero will score at the very end. And since the series has ended, those shippers had become more annoying. Some got more cocky than usual, some are dissapointed and the level of stupidity of their current actions has no limit.

@QueenQuinzel‌
    Sorry, but if I am to tell you the truth, your few brony friends aren't the representative group for bronies in general. People still have issue with these people for a reasons. In DeviantART community, for example, bronies are disliked for spreading their art to where it doesn't belong (ignoring the notions of common sense), for their art being very similar and uncreative and despite that attracting more attention than some masterpieces and for often being hipocritical. Also, bronies don't take it kindly when someone is disliking their favourite show and is not afraid to state it.
  • QueenQuinzelQueenQuinzel Member Posts: 44
    edited November 2014
    @O_Bruce‌, whatever you say.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @QueenQuinzel‌
    It's a shame you don't realize I just described you how community of the art site sees them. That's all :)
    meagloth said:

Cats

I mean I love cats but I hate the way they are portrayed in popular culture or the internet. "LoL kitteh". Need I say more?
    (And really? Cheezburgeh?! For cats?)

Also, minecraft. I haven't spent much time in actual communities, but 12 year old boys are toxic in real life, I can't imagine what they're like on the net, and even more so, multiplayer chat.
    I play DOTA 2 a bit and I'm pretty sure I hate the vocal minority playing tand speciating the game. Lots of toxicity there.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Every time someone has said "minecraft", I've been thinking "minesweeper". n.n'

"How can a community of minesweeper players be so bad?... and why do 12 year olds play it?" XD

o.m.g. I thought I was the only one.

To be honest... I only recently discovered that Minecraft=/-Minesweeper (though I still have absolutely zero idea what Minecraft actually is... gonna go look it up now)

"How can a community of minesweeper players be so bad?... and why do 12 year olds play it?" XD

To be honest... I only recently discovered that Minecraft=/-Minesweeper (though I still have absolutely zero idea what Minecraft actually is... gonna go look it up now)
    It is the all-powerful tool, the all consuming force, the unshakable wall that made the 6-12 year old male king of YouTube.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    meagloth said:

It is the all-powerful tool, the all consuming force, the unshakable wall that made the 6-12 year old male king of YouTube.
    i thought it was trolling that won them the crown
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

I know, right? :D

Totally thought it was Minesweeper. :) And Minesweeper is a fun game, you have to admit. ^_~
    I love minesweeper! It got me through about 30 Organic Chemistry Lectures my sophomore year of college (with some help from Chrono Trigger emulators... still need to beat that)
    meagloth said:

From what I can tell... it looks like one of the LEGO Star Wars/Batman/Harry Potter versions of The Sims
    Bringing this thread back on topic, one fandom i really hate (not the whole thing just a minority like most fandoms) is A song of ice and fire, or if you haven't read the books Game of Thrones. i hate how some people try to control GRRM, its his book YOU don't get a say in how it ends or which character he kills off. I also really hate the people who are always going on about how long it takes him to finish the books. He'll finish when he's good and ready and when he feels that the book is satisfactory. it's his way of writing he can't just focus on one thing for ages, he just writes down whatever pops into his head, whether that's a song of ice and fire or something else that he's writing. I want to read winds of winter as much as the next guy but if it gets rushed it won't be the work we've come to know and love, it will be a disappointment to everyone.

sorry for the rant but i've needed to rant on that one for ages
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    wubble said:

i hate how some people try to control GRRM, its his book YOU don't get a say in how it ends or which character he kills off. I also really hate the people who are always going on about how long it takes him to finish the books. He'll finish when he's good and ready and when he feels that the book is satisfactory.

Oh my gosh. THIS. I hate it when people joke about how GRRM has to hurry up and finish the books before he dies. Yeah, that's a wonderful way to give the writer some respect--contemplating his death. D:< As Neil Gaiman so appropriately said it: "George R. R. Martin is not your bitch." Let the man write and learn to be patient.
  • 10thLich10thLich Member Posts: 99
    @ GRRM fans
    They probably allude to the fact that another famous fantasy author, Robert Jordan, died before he could finish his series, the Wheel of Time.
    Maybe so but George's writing process takes a long time and if he hurries the quality will suffer.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    10thLich said:

@ GRRM fans
    They probably allude to the fact that another famous fantasy author, Robert Jordan, died before he could finish his series, the Wheel of Time.

That's no excuse to endlessly hassle him though. And in the end, the Wheel of Time did finish, thanks to Brandon Sanderson. (Some say Sanderson's writing was actually better than Jordan's at the end... I wouldn't know; haven't read that far. Just what I've heard.)
    I haven't read the wheel of time but the final empire trilogy by Brandon Sanderson is excellent so i don't doubt the quality of his writing. however George has specifically stated that should he not finish the books he doesn't want anybody else to finish them off which is fair enough as it's his property.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    I generally avoid almost all communities except select few.

This is one of them because the BGs are old-school games I love and respect. And I am also interested in various news, opinions or solutions.

That's one reason you don't see me commenting on pointless threads titled something like "What's the color of your underwear?" and "What if pigs could fly".
    I'm not interested in such off-topic and silly topics.

Really, find games/movies/music/anime/books you like and play/read/watch them. At best, communities can only give you some advice or other helpful information.
    At worst, they're pointless wastes of bandwidth and can only piss you off and waste your time.

The other forums I care about and I am involved are stuff about DnD, Neverwinters Nights and roleplaying servers' forums of NwN2. That's pretty much it.

I'll only read the forums of other stuff just to hear people's opinions or get some advice or workarounds about bugs.

TL;DR: Ignore communities and like whatever. Who cares about others' opinions if you like it?
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Dunno if this counts, but I like MOBA's. Unfortunately some of the folks you meet in those games tend to be a bit too extreme for me.

Come to think of it, I do like online gaming. It's fun to play with other people. It's just that...
    the middle and last panel. Yeah, something like that.