Skip to content

Fandoms that you're a part of that you hate

QueenQuinzelQueenQuinzel Member Posts: 44
A "final straw" of sorts with a fellow Star Wars fan inspired me to make this thread. Thread title should be self-explanatory.

Just in case, no hating each other for being part of a given fandom/community. Respect each other. I don't expect that to be a problem from this forum, but I thought I'd enumerate it up top.

For me, I find the Star Wars fandom to be particularly insipid sometimes. Many of the fans are elitist, entitled, and rude. Rarely do I find someone who just dislikes the prequels; more often do I find someone who describes in colorful terms his or her hatred for the prequels and how offended he or she is that George Lucas made them a thing.

There's also the metal community. I don't listen to metal much anymore, but my experience with the fans during my stay was largely unpleasant.

What about you guys?

Comments

• laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    edited November 2014
    @bengoshi thank you for the kind words of our metal prowess ben!
    Post edited by laptopman666 on
  • QueenQuinzelQueenQuinzel Member Posts: 44
    edited November 2014
    bengoshi said:

And about metal, ask our Metal lord of Foerum @Metalloman‌ and @laptopman666‌ :)

Thanks, but I'll pass.

I do agree that this forum is generally very tasteful, though. Everyone's very civilized here.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2014
    The Skyrim fandom (Imperials vs. Stormcloaks) drives me absolutely insane. It's like they don't understand it's supposed to be a morally gray area.

Also the Pokemon fandom. Specifically the die-hard 1st gen players can be complete twats.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    i used to be in the hardcore scene (hardcore punk) and really now, it's against everything that i stand for. zero politics, zero awareness, OR being SUPER PC about everything... i'm talking about the bigger picture now of course and not the lovely litte niche pockets where it still does work.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    @TJ_Hooker‌ That sounds like casul speak there. I'm kidding, I swear.

Anyways. I'd have to say the Berzerk fandom. Good gosh, you have to pass each and every single persons entrance exam for them not to flame you out of existence and even trying to broach the more volitile subjects of the manga nets you flame wars you wouldn't believe

• elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited November 2014
    TJ_Hooker said:

Demon/Dark Souls fans can sometimes be annoying

maybe its just me but I found the community for demon's pretty good it only really became a common theme in my experience when the titles became a bit more mainstream with the release of dark souls and moved beyond its original niche audience. I remember I once said I thought demon's souls was significantly harder then dark soul's and had my head bitten of by a community who couldn't bare me commenting on the sanctity of dark souls difficulty.

Id nominate mass effect, some of the fans of that series are borderline disturbing in how they act, heaven for fend that you do not like there favourite characters as they do. Many anime communities can be pretty hostile online I gave up on them long ago. Music groups too tend to get pretty bad if you like anything outside of there comfort zone, which I always find particularly odd considering a lot of the time the people they are listening too are also listening too and acknowledging music from outside there sphere.

I don't think I really take an active part in any fandoms these days just doesn't seem worth while.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    element said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Demon/Dark Souls fans can sometimes be annoying

maybe its just me but I found the community for demon's pretty good it only really became a common theme in my experience when the titles became a bit more mainstream with the release of dark souls and moved beyond its original niche audience. I remember I once said I thought demon's souls was significantly harder then dark soul's and had my head bitten of by a community who couldn't bare me commenting on the sanctity of dark souls difficulty.

Id nominate mass effect, some of the fans of that series are borderline disturbing in how they act, heaven for fend that you do not like there favourite characters as they do. Many anime communities can be pretty hostile online I gave up on them long ago. Music groups too tend to get pretty bad if you like anything outside of there comfort zone, which I always find particularly odd considering a lot of the time the people they are listening too are also listening too and acknowledging music from outside there sphere.

I don't think I really take an active part in any fandoms these days just doesn't seem worth while.
    haven't played demon's souls, but with the DS to DS2 transition I could believe demon's being harder. honestly, I don't find the games that terribly hard to begin with. not enough that I should consider myself very hardcore if I beat it. I would just call them harder than other games coming out right now. they are fair, but provide a challenge.

and Mass Effect... yeah not only did that fanbase literally tear itself apart with the ending, but I know what you mean right there. god forbid I express my hatred of Liara on the BSN. it can even be bad just to say I like Tali if other people don't. still, you can't get any worse than mentioning your thoughts on the ending with them, be it good or bad.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I wouldn't bother arguing with the Mass Effect fanbase. As they say, it is better to be safe than asari.
    TJ_Hooker said:

Demon/Dark Souls fans can sometimes be annoying, and I think a big part of it stems from the games' infamous difficulty. Some people seem to think that playing difficult games makes you superior to 'casul' gamers. Anyone who doesn't like the games is treated as though the only reason they don't like the games is because they're wimps who can't handle the difficulty, told to go back to playing Angry Birds, etc. Other people clamor to let everyone know that they're huge fans of the franchise, seemingly for the sake of establishing their 'hardcore gamer' cred. I honestly think the games are overrated, with somewhat inflated review scores, as a result of this, and that's coming from someone who really likes the series. Although the difficulty works well for Souls, I don't think there's anything inherently good about making a difficult game. And playing difficult games certainly doesn't make someone superior.

I'm with you. I love Dark Souls 1 and 2. I haven't beaten either, but I've pretty much gotten my money's worth in each case, which is to say I had a great time with both (I'm currently on hiatus from them). I've not taken a particularly active role in the fanbase, primarily because I've found the fans to be unpleasant. I think you're right that it has to do with people wanting to establish themselves as a "hardcore gamer." I get that there's a distinction between a "casual player" (someone who plays Angry Birds in their spare time) and a "hardcore player" (someone who has rigorously played games from multiple eras), but there's nothing wrong with being a casual gamer, and there's no reason to be haughty just because you're a hardcore gamer.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited November 2014
    I'm gonna say MLP. Few things: First, I'm surprised I'm the first to being it up, and second... Bronies are the most obsessive, fixated people I've ever seen... and a bit creepy.

There's a popular fanfic known as Fallout Equestria that is... bad! The characters are flat, the protagonist is a lesbian to pander to the fanboy fetishes...

I've not yet tipped the iceburg as to why this fandom is obsessed at overanalyzing supposedly deeper meaning in a toy marketing show meant for grade school girls.

Yes, FiM is a fun show and it lives the dream of surpassing demographic boundries... but it loses its charm the more the people who should be... I dunno, working and bettering the economy, rather than living for some colored horses animated in Flash.
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    Sonic fans. That fan fiction...*shudder*
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Okay, time for me to put my nerd hat on. I have watched every episode of every version of Star Trek at least once (Enterprise, Star Trek, Next Gen, Deep Space Nine and Voyager), and I'm relatively sure I've also done so for the movies. I felt like this would make me be on par for talking to hardcore trekkies right?

Wrong.

Apparently you have to know the science it is based on, the actors' lives outside of the films, be familiar with the filming process and technology, and most importantly, consider the original Star Trek the best (Star Trek: the Next Generation is sometimes an acceptable choice). It's like a whole lifestyle... I know there are some folks here who could probably say they've read most of the Forgotten Realms books and have researched non-literature events of the timeline of Abeir-Toril (the Baldur's Gate world), etc., but it would be like expecting *every member* of the forum to possess that knowledge.

These same people considered it unimportant that they had never seen a single episode of "Enterprise."
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Not that I'm sharing my opinion on the prequels at every opportunity, but I think I'd have to consider myself among those Star Wars fans.
    Anyways, for me, gamers have recently fallen into that category I suppose.
    edited November 2014
    Dazzu said:

I'm gonna say MLP. Few things: First, I'm surprised I'm the first to being it up, and second... Bronies are the most obsessive, fixated people I've ever seen... and a bit creepy.

There's a popular fanfic known as Fallout Equestria that is... bad! The characters are flat, the protagonist is a lesbian to pander to the fanboy fetishes...

I've not yet tipped the iceburg as to why this fandom is obsessed at overanalyzing supposedly deeper meaning in a toy marketing show meant for grade school girls.

Yes, FiM is a fun show and it lives the dream of surpassing demographic boundries... but it loses its charm the more the people who should be... I dunno, working and bettering the economy, rather than living for some colored horses animated in Flash.

@Dazzu‌ The thing is, most bronies ARE working and bettering the economy. They can enjoy their TV show and be productive at the same time, and they are. I suggest you stop being ignorant, actually get to know a few bronies, and not be so judgmental and/or concerned about other people's lives.

By the way, I said to only mention fandoms that you are a part of.

I'm sorry if I come across as sounding harsh, but I'm tired of the brony-bashing that takes place. I've delved into the fandom, and they are NOT that bad.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    BALDUR'S GATE!!!

nah, just playin'

I'm a fan of a lot of things that seem to have big communities dedicated to them, but with the exception of this game I'm not really a part of those communities. This is partially because of the tendencies of hardcore fans that many have described here.

You are spot on about metal! I do love me some heavy metal (mostly classic and power metal), but I must say I am not a fan of many of the hardcore "Metal heads". They usually tend to be very angry and aggressive, which is really not my style. Also the elitist attitude toward the "One True Metal" (which I often ape by pretending to buy into to an extreme level) is kinda annoying as well. I'm not a fan of people insulting others for their taste in music. If someone wants to listen to Taylor Swift, then good for them, I hope they enjoy it. It doesn't make them bad people. If someone likes to listen to metal AND Taylor Swift (such as myself), I don't see how that makes them a "poser" or a "fake metal fan". As if being a fan of something is an accomplishment, lol.

I also used to be a HUGE Star Wars fan, but for some reason I never really interacted with a fan community in any way, shape or form. I have some friends who also liked some of the books I read as a kid (the Timothy Zahn and Michael A Stackpole ones) so occasionally we will reminisce about our childhood favorites, and it has always been pleasant. I can certainly imagine that what you are saying is true though.

Somewhat unrelated, but still along the same vein, is politics. I am a libertarian politically, and actually pretty involved in social groups (more so when I was in college). However, there are many (a very significant portion, actually) in these causes that have a very negative attitude toward people who disagree with them or who haven't thought things through the way they have. They can often be on the extreme ened, elitist (which, ironically, they tend to rail against) and unwelcoming. Not good, and very much a turn-off (not to mention counter-productive).

Oh... comic books. I love them. I have like zero friends in real life who share my love for them, so I have searched a bit online for an outlet to discuss them. However, I never really got involved and I think a large part of it was that I saw a lot of bad attitudes toward people who liked/disliked a certain creator, franchise or publisher. A lot of "I am better than you because I have good taste" (despite taste being entirely subjective). To be fair, I've never really been part of a forum or extended discussion, but from what I gathered just through the comments sections of random reviews or interviews on places like IGN or blogs I can see that the same bad tendencies of most rabid fandoms are probably present in this one as well.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Ooh! Michael Stackpole wrote (some of) the X-wing series! That was my fave. Yub yub. Heheh.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388

Dazzu said:

@Dazzu‌ The thing is, most bronies ARE working and bettering the economy. They can enjoy their TV show and be productive at the same time, and they are. I suggest you stop being ignorant, actually get to know a few bronies, and not be so judgmental and/or concerned about other people's lives.

By the way, I said to only mention fandoms that you are a part of.

I'm sorry if I come across as sounding harsh, but I'm tired of the brony-bashing that takes place. I've delved into the fandom, and they are NOT that bad.
    I've dealved into quite a few fandoms that get a lot of crap from the internet (bronies, furries, Twilight fans) and have found the communities to be generally ok. There's of course, the vocal minority made up of idiots, but for the most part these people just want to share in a common interest.

I've also found the more bizzare fandoms tend to have a genuine sense of community. They know what they're into is kinda weird and because of that they're much more accepting of others.