Skip to content

Best Plot Twist (Spoilers)

ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
The Baldur's Gate Series has a very interesting plot twists, pick amongst yourselves which is the greatest.
  1. Best Plot Twist (Spoilers)73 votes
    1. Sarevok setting you up for the murder of Reiltar
        5.48%
    2. Sarevok betraying the Iron Throne
        0.00%
    3. CHARNAME's father being revealed as Bhaal
      15.07%
    4. Imoen being taken by the Cowled Wizards
        2.74%
    5. Yoshimo betraying the group
      45.21%
    6. Imoen being a child of Bhaal
        9.59%
    7. Firkragg setting you up.
        5.48%
    8. The Imprisoned One being Demogorgon
        2.74%
    9. Mellisan being the main villain of Throne of Bhaal
        2.74%
    10. Other (Please explain what)
      10.96%

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    All the way man! I *NEVER* saw it coming!
    I was like O_o no, mellisaaaaannnnnn..... Not yyyoooouuuuuuuu!

>.>
    <.<

:P
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I vote for Charname's father being revealed as Bhaal. The entire Bhaal subplot is carefully woven throughout the edges of BG1's story and then culminates with the big reveal at the story's climax.

Yoshimo's reveal as a traitor was a good one as well, even though I had liked his character.

I always hated the "Imoen is your sister" reveal, which I felt was just a cheap attempt at replicating the "Sarevok is your brother" reveal in BG1, and opens up plot holes/inconsistencies in the overall storyline (much like the "Leia is Luke's sister" reveal in Jedi makes watching the prior movies uncomfortable).
  • Melicamp being a talking chicken.

OH BOY!

(rake in the likes)
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @tethoriloflathander Not actually a PLOT twist, but unexpected nonthelesss
  • BleuCelesteBleuCeleste Member Posts: 14
    Throughout BG2 and TOB I thought Charname was the one being talked about in Alaundo's Prophecy. I felt just a tiny bit of hatred towards Solar after that conversation.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    They where all failrly predictable.

I guess the funniest was demogorgon, for being a huge in-joke.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I was all... "So, this guy's a *Bounty Hunter*... But isn't currently persuing a bounty?!.... Oh... Right..."

Honourable mention for Aran Linvail *not* going for the double-cross... I buffed *every* time I went to see that guy!
  • @DJ_Sweatz_2013, most definitely a plot twist! You think "oh, there's a chicken quite far out from Nashkel" and then it talks!

I had to open a whole new journal just to cover my amazement :D
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    Yoshimo is as predictable as the others i guess, but i find it well done nonetheless. The facts that he is kind of the straight man of baldur's gate 2 (well, valygar and mazzy can do that too, but who takes them really?) and the only really good rogue make him extra-lovable in my eyes. There will always be place in my heart for a smart, no-nonsense loyal comrade.
    @TethorilofLathander It's unexpected, but not a Plot Twist, because it is a minor side quest, which cannot be considered part of the plot. Firkragg or Demogorgon on the other hand, have so much content to their sidequest, that it can almost be considered part of the plotline. And doing the sidequests can majorly effect the plotline, saving a talking chicken can't, as awesome as it is.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I'll never forget the first time I saw this on my screen, my jaw agape in disbelief.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    YOSHIMO! WHYYYYYYYYYYY!? D:

Fun fact about the "getting framed for Rieltar's murder" though. On my very first playthrough of Baldur's Gate, I really did pick a fight with them in Candlekeep and killed them. So when they called me in for murder, it was more along the lines of me trying to explain that they were the bad guys, as opposed to trying to convince them I didn't murder anyone.

It was only after I did some reading in newer playthroughs that I learned you really weren't supposed to do that... >.>;;
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Even though there was plenty of foreshadowing happening regarding his betrayal, the first time you see this happens has to be shocking. If it wasn't, you'd of left him out of the group a long time ago.

Every group member also reacts differently to it happening and it isn't a plot device like many of the other things you listed. It didn't need to be written in to advance the story, but there it is conveniently opening up a spot for Imoen.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    I cried a little.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2014
    The First time I played I was like "WHAT?" and then closed the game. Only to continue about an hour later.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

YOSHIMO! WHYYYYYYYYYYY!? D:

Fun fact about the "getting framed for Rieltar's murder" though. On my very first playthrough of Baldur's Gate, I really did pick a fight with them in Candlekeep and killed them. So when they called me in for murder, it was more along the lines of me trying to explain that they were the bad guys, as opposed to trying to convince them I didn't murder anyone.

It was only after I did some reading in newer playthroughs that I learned you really weren't supposed to do that... >.>;;

I don't think I've ever done a playthrough without killing Rieltar and his group.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I only skip Rieltar if I'm soloing and have already reached the XP cap. If that's the case, I often roleplay the late game as sneaking around Sarevok's minions wherever possible before taking him down. Invisibility FTW.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I watched my dad play through when I was very young so by the time I actually played I kind of knew most of the story. the only real surprise for me was Terminsel. but I was also pretty surprised when I found out I'd just killed Ajantis.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    He made me look like a fool before the entire sword coast!
    *my for realz vote goes to yoshimo.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Balthazar's intentions in ToB (killing all the Bhaalspawns and committing suicide to put Bhaal's taint to rest once and for all)… It was the only one I didn't expect/spoilered with the forums.
    @meagloth Then why didn't you vote for that?
    meagloth said:

All the way man! I *NEVER* saw it coming!
    I was like O_o no, mellisaaaaannnnnn..... Not yyyoooouuuuuuuu!

>.>
    <.<

:P</p>

I'll do anything for a laugh. Or attemp at a laugh, at least.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    It looks like I picked the right one. Yoshimo was a great ally in bg2, this was a crazy one that I didn't see coming years ago.
  • AureolAureol Member Posts: 53
    Like many others, for me it was Yoshimo. I'll be honest, I've played these games for so long that I don't remember all the effects the twists had on me, but I vaguely remember being so shocked at Yoshimo. I was like, ". . . daaang, man!" :'(