Skip to content

How's the shapeshifter?

I've been wanting to do a new run through IWDEE and ive been thinking about playing the shapeshifter, but from what I remember the shapeshifter was really bad in the Baldur's Gate games and since IWD is much more combat oriented I feel like he would be severely lacking especially near the end and in HOW. So I guess my question would be how does he hold up?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    With the new druid spells, shapeshifters are wonderful. On 1-5 spell levels druids in IWDEE have spells that really influence the game and help a lot:

Sunscorch - Alicorn Lance - Spike Growth - Smashing Wave - Spike Stones

Enemies that are not killed by your 3-4 Spike Growths combined with 2 Spike Stones may be dispatched with your shapeshifter powers.

So, in IWDEE a shapeshifter is a good choice. She will rock big time!

If you're talking about HoF, it's another story, though, and for that mode dualclass and multiclass characters are better, such as Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Mage, Fighter/Mage/Cleric, Fighter/Mage/Thief.
    elminsterskaterfezzjackjack
  • skaterfezzskaterfezz Member Posts: 43
    Thank you man your awesome.
    JuliusBorisovGotural
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    I'm playing through with one now. There is a point where it does begin to lag (due to a lack of AC), but during difficult fights you can always pre-cast Iron Skins for that (because by that point you'll have access to it). Once you hit level 13 though (thanks to its Greater Werewolf form) it'll improve pretty substantially from an AC standpoint.

I also really haven't had any problems with it hitting since most enemies AC sucks anyways.

The only times I can think of where its been a problem is in those few cases where enemies are immune to your weapons. I've had it happen a few times but from what I can tell its pretty rare. In those cases you can stick to spellcasting.

As Bengoshi pointed out Heart of Fury is a different story.
    skaterfezzJuliusBorisov
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    We have whole separate discussion about Druids in HoF, although I think Shapeshifter specifically is rarely mentioned there.
    bengoshi said:

If you're talking about HoF, it's another story, though, and for that mode dualclass and multiclass characters are better, such as Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Mage, Fighter/Mage/Cleric, Fighter/Mage/Thief.

Do you think Fighter x -> Shapeshifter (EEKeeped of course) would work?
    JuliusBorisov
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    Shapeshifters are very strong in this game. There very strong in alot of aspects, they can front line with werewolf form or long range with a sling. The new spells also make them a bit better at range.
  • skaterfezzskaterfezz Member Posts: 43

Do you think Fighter x -> Shapeshifter (EEKeeped of course) would work?

Ive tried it as a multiclass for a little bit and it felt really redundant, but ive only played the very beginning of the game so im not sure how the greater werewolf is. The totemic druid with fighter multi (and also dual I would imagine) works very well.
    JuliusBorisov
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I'm planning on taking a shapeshifter 13 dueled to fighter through the game, for concept reasons, but that is waiting for my next playthrough.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Fardragon said:

I'm planning on taking a shapeshifter 13 dueled to fighter through the game, for concept reasons, but that is waiting for my next playthrough.

I just can't even imagine being able to hit that dual class button back to fighter after reaching Shapeshifter 13 and slogging through 14 levels of fighter to get them back - are the perks for this really better than just continuing to level as a shapeshifter (well except for being able to wear a helmet ;-) )

elminsterjackjack
    No, I don't make my parties for the perks (I currently have a party member with Grand Mastery in Spears).
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Fardragon said:

No, I don't make my parties for the perks (I currently have a party member with Grand Mastery in Spears).

So the point of dual classing the level 13 Shapeshifter to fighter is???

• AudacesAudaces Member Posts: 57
    Just wanted to add something interesting: shapeshifting into a werewolf sets your strength at 19 and your dex at 16 - but you can cast strength/cat's grace and they will add to those scores. Suddenly running a 25 str / 18 dex werewolf seems a lot more fun, especially that you can get both spells in Kuldahar/Vale of Shadows.

Oh, and don't forget to put points into Single Weapon style, it works for paws.
    Shikaojackjackskaterfezz
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Audaces said:

Just wanted to add something interesting: shapeshifting into a werewolf sets your strength at 19 and your dex at 16 - but you can cast strength/cat's grace and they will add to those scores. Suddenly running a 25 str / 18 dex werewolf seems a lot more fun, especially that you can get both spells in Kuldahar/Vale of Shadows.

Does single weapon style work for other shapes?
    Shikao
    Wowo said:

Audaces said:

Does single weapon style work for other shapes?
    Yes.
    ShikaoJuliusBorisov
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited December 2014
    Well, once he gets his shapeshifter abilities back, he can become a greater werewolf with 4 attacks per round, great THAC0, and around -10 AC at the worst, along with Iron Skins and Entropy Shield. Sounds pretty nasty to me.

Or have they nerfed the greater werewolf since BG2? I haven't used it in IWD yet.
    edited December 2014

Or have they nerfed the greater werewolf since BG2? I haven't used it in IWD yet.

The exploit where you could equip a weapon in your offhand slot (in order to get 1 more APR in form) doesn't work anymore. Also the kit does now get 1d10 slashing weapons instead of 1d6 piercing weapons. Besides these two changes there isn't anything different about how it works compared to BG2EE.
    jackjackFardragonreivision
    What do the various forms hit as in terms of bypassing weapon resistances?
    The basic form counts as +1 I guess (worked well against anything up to Dorn's Deep), I think the greater form would count as +3.
    jackjackShikaoJuliusBorisov
    Wowo said:

Werewolf: +2
    Greater Werewolf: +3
    ShikaoJuliusBorisovjackjack
    elminster said:

Wowo said:

Werewolf: +2
    Greater Werewolf: +3
    So that works for basically anything in the game?
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    So what's up with the absence of the Con modification for WW form (as compared to non-EE BG2's Shapeshifter)? Assuming that change holds for GWW, that's actually a pretty huge nerf to a kit that's already considered underpowered.
    The kit would be OK-ish, if at some point the wereforms allowed spellcasting. Say, lvl 12 for werewolf, lvl 14 for greater werewolf.

Fun thing with the shifter is that you can cast Static Charge, change into werewolf and go melee. Kinda like Thunderstorm sorceress in D2.
    edited December 2014
    Reticent said:

So what's up with the absence of the Con modification for WW form (as compared to non-EE BG2's Shapeshifter)? Assuming that change holds for GWW, that's actually a pretty huge nerf to a kit that's already considered underpowered.

The last BGEE patch changed all shapeshifting to not modify Con. Since the shifter can't benefit for Con over 16 anyway, it's not a nerf unless you had a low Con to start off with.
    Thing is, with con 25 you got excellent regeneration that made greater werewolves excellent tanks.
    I think they get regeneration anyway.
    edited December 2014
    Audaces said:

Thing is, with con 25 you got excellent regeneration that made greater werewolves excellent tanks.

25 constitution gives 6 hp/turn (or minute) regeneration. Its fine if you want to sit around and wait for him to heal (keeping in mind with max hp he is going to have over 100 health), but by comparison the War Chant of the Sith bard song would be giving 20hp/turn regeneration (and the Regeneration spell gives much better than even that). Its really not fast enough to be anything more than a very minor benefit in combat.
    Fardragon said:

I think they get regeneration anyway.

Not that I'm aware of. Besides the level 7 spell of course.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    Fardragon said:

Reticent said:

The last BGEE patch changed all shapeshifting to not modify Con. Since the shifter can't benefit for Con over 16 anyway, it's not a nerf unless you had a low Con to start off with.
    Why did they choose to do that? Sounds like a case of throwing out the baby with the bath water to me.

Losing the Con adjustment for WW is a very significant nerf for anyone who isn't inclined to artificially manipulate their stat rolls.

For GWW, losing the 25 Con regen is a pretty big nerf to convenience given the significant amounts of HP you would gain back during down time, never mind the fact that there are circumstances where it can save your character during combat.