Skip to content

Advice on playing EE as multiplayer with an utter newbie

I am getting IWDEE for Christmas from my oh so wonderful husband. He's seen me playing all the BG and IWD games for years, and has mentioned he'd like to play them as well, but he is a bit daunted by the complexity of all the rules. I'd like to spend some of our Christmas day playing as multplayer - I'll help him build a fairly easy to run fighter, and I'll drive a few other characters to round out the party. Christmas is pretty boring when there are just two of you, and I thought this could be something different and fun, and show him how much I appreciate the present.
If I was playing ordinary IWD this would be no problem at all for me. My question is how different is EE from standard IWD, and will I need to spend some time getting used to the enhanced edition before attempting to do this. I don't want to get tied down in hunting through manuals while getting frustrated.
CrevsDaakjackjackJuliusBorisov

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    You shouldn't have any trouble as far as I know. The game is pretty much the same as the original.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I did exactly this with my housemate recently.

He says he likes his Berserker best.

I'd suggest just making one character each and then maybe play on normal (or easy). A cleric/thief or LN cleric/illusionist or LN cleric/Mage might be a good teammate.

After that add second runs where you each have two characters and then three characters.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited December 2014
    Play with "Story mode" on and the class won't matter that much.
    elminsterjackjackJuliusBorisov
    Djimmy said:

Don't even mention that this exists.

If the new player plays other games then you should avoid mentioning anything that makes the game easier like rest abuse, reload abuse, export abuse or anything similar as all it will do is reduce immersion and make the game less fun.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Wowo said:

Djimmy said:

Don't even mention that this exists.
    Too late now kiwidoc knows. Kiwidoc if you or your husband are having difficulty in one particular area, and you really can't beat it, Story Mode is now an option.

"Story Mode
    The easiest difficulty is for players who prefer to breeze past the fights and just experience
    the story. In this mode, party members are invulnerable and will only fail to hit their
    targets on a critical miss."

Also if you haven't already check out the manuals. They may give you an idea of what is new or different.

http://www.beamdog.com/files/iwdee/iwdee_manual1.pdf

http://cdn.icewinddale.com/files/IWDEE_Manual_2_-_Mastering_Melee_&_Magic.pdf
    jackjackwubblekcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Patience, and a whole lot of it.
    jackjackkcwiseJuliusBorisovShikao
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Interesting thread—I am introducing IWDEE to my fiancé tonight, at her request :D
    Good advice here.
    elminsterkcwiseJuliusBorisovShikao
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Story mode is perfectly fine if you're stuck in an area or lost a save and just want to get past an area briefly. At least it gets you to proactively do stuff instead of turning on cheats and doing ctrl + Y. That said I still disagree with it never allowing your party members to die; if they did it like Dragon Age where characters auto-revived after a fight, that would have been fine.
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
    I'd avoid turning it on ever. With a bit of strategising you should be able to get through all areas and it makes it rewarding if you've had to struggle a bit. Even knowing that storymode exists reduced my newbies enjoyment of the game.
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    @kcwise Behave!
    Nimranelminsterkcwisejackjack
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Hey, @bengoshi started it! Well, okay, maybe not exactly started it but... look over there! A goblin! *runs the other way*
    JuliusBorisovShikaojackjackwubble
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    bengoshi said:

Now it turns out the Story mode is the romance mode for a pair to successfully play the game first time : )

Yesterday my wife told me I'm sick (she hates every "killing" game), maybe tonight i'll mention her the Story Mode :D

JuliusBorisovjackjackkcwise
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited December 2014
    play as a duo, don't have other characters so it will be faster with less pausing. he'll probably appreciate that as a newbie especially since he would have to sit and wait while you give orders to the characters you control. this way, if you micro a bit as a spellcaster yourself you won't have to pause much at all.

let him play a fighter/thief so he has some freedom in shaping his charater. also, sneaking and trap-finding will be real exciting for someone who doesn't know where the enemies and traps are.

also in multiplayer you can enforce a limited reload policy based on checkpoints - when you enter an area you have to complete it and if you die, start over with the "level". this is kinda lame in singleplayer but i think it's really interesting in multi-.
    FinneousPJjackjackkcwiseJuliusBorisov
    @bob_veng That's good advice. I didn't want to overwhelm him with difficult choices to make about levelling up, but playing Skyrim got him used to a lot of the concepts involved. He never finished it because he got lost with all the different quests etc so a nice linear game should be right up his street.
    ShikaojackjackkcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • AeonQuasarAeonQuasar Member Posts: 16
    @kcwise I dont see any goblins... :neutral_face:
    jackjack

@kcwise I dont see any goblins... :neutral_face:

You didn't get the memo about the ultraviolet colored goblins? You need the special glasses. I was sure I sent out the memo. Oh well.. if you feel a sharp stabbing sensation there's probably a goblin around.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
    @kcwise I think @AeonQuaser is blinded by the garish colours of your candy stick, and the red glow of my drowdeer's nose. Sadly, this doesn't seem to be affecting goblins, so as the song says "You better watch out!"
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
    @kiwidoc I think you're on to something there!

Also, I hope you have fun with IWDEE. I played the game with a good friend of mine who was familiar with BG but had never been to the frozen north and it turned out to be one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov