Skip to content

I have 100 000 gold, it weights zero and can fly.

ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
Say each coin is 10 gr it would weight 1 ton.
How come gold isn't counted as weight in your inventory, and how come nobody is carrying it? :)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    I have a stone, it costs zero and I can't fly...
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    @LadyRhianreally I didn't expect so much input it was a nice read. i like the idea of gold having weight taking one slot in the inventory and being splittable among party members. At least as an option, ultimately having a bag of holding full, you'll have to make choice between gold or items.

And with this it would become finally relevant to own a "place" or "chest" where you could put your stuff, im not saying we need a banking system far from it, but so much items i just leave on the floor in ribald's store (which don't even disappear), even though there are useless, on a role playing perspective, they are rare and valuable artifacts.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Ifupaline In a way, it does- it's not part of your item inventory- it's a separate slot all on its own, shared by all the characters.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I figure that there are probably different value coins so you can lots of the highest value coin and save weight.
    wubble said:

I figure that there are probably different value coins so you can lots of the highest value coin and save weight.

if ure dealing with gold, its value is in weight, so there is no way to save weight without getting rid of your gold. see that is why they invented paper money :)
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

wubble said:

if ure dealing with gold, its value is in weight, so there is no way to save weight without getting rid of your gold. see that is why they invented paper money :)
    alloys
    (muahaha i subvert logic again!)
    wubble said:

wubble said:

alloys
    (muahaha i subvert logic again!)
    that would be heavier :smiley:

look problem solvedimage
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Adventurers always make sure to wear their special pants with magic pockets that can hold everything. Absolutely everything.

Ferret familiar, dragon eggs, halberds, gold, it all goes into the magic pockets.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    You have a pocket plane, and it doesn't just pop into existance during ToB...

Just saying...
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Because such a thing would be "micromanagement", and modern gaming audiences would complain en masse about such a mechanic. I've seen it suggested before in RPG forums, and giving coins weight has always met with mass protesting.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @kcwise Money came in various denominations, from copper pieces, through silver, electrum (a hybrid metal), gold and platinum. Ed Greenwood introduced trade bars as well, which can have higher denominations, so the game is only giving you the gp "equivalent".
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Plastic man. Its 2014.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    edited December 2014
    Those 100,000 coins are just the PC's net worth minus other items. They're not actually carrying them around. Everytime he/she goes to their stronghold/pocket plane they drop off all the coins in one spot and swim around in them Scrooge Mcduck style.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    I think money had a weight in Daggerfall. But you could put it in banks in town, and stash it in a wagon when you were dungeon crawling.

The idea would have worked if the dungeons weren't all quite so big and crazy, and there wasn't quite so much valuable loot to tempt you. XD
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Yes not just weight but volume also painful. Imagine 100 bucks with penny or dime.
    Ignorance ia bliss :)
    Or maybe D&D world law of physics is lil bit different from ours.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    As an aside, I recall there was an article in Dragon magazine a long time about carrying coins around.

There were even calculations of how many coins you could fit into a chest - both stacked and loose!
  • supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206
    Kaltzor said:

You have a pocket plane, and it doesn't just pop into existance during ToB...

Just saying...

Eight Bhaal Corner Pocket Plane
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2014
    I remember being part of a party carrying round extremely valuable stones hidden in various secret caches sewed into boots, belts, armor etc ... but for the life of me I can't remember which game I was playing - either D&D or Runequest. I also remember we divided the stash up, so if one of us fell down a very deep hole or got swallowed whole by a big beastie we wouldn't lose all the money. Moneychangers did charge a small percentage fee, but when faced with a high level, well armed party they tended not to try and rip us off.

I presume if you purchased your extra valuable stones from a reputable dealer, and carried proof of purchase with you, they would work as a kind of letter of credit - other merchants would accept the valuation of the stones.

This particular party did get right into the nitpicking. When we had to cross a large desert one of us actually worked out a very complicated equation to tell us how many mules we had to buy, how much water and feed for the mules we had to carry and how often we would have to kill a mule and eat it ... just so we could arrive at the other side with the two mules we'd need when we got there, and not need to spend extra money. She was an associate prof though and was seriously good at maths, so I guess it was just fun for her!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    In real life, pure gold is RIDICULOUSLY heavy. At room temperature, gold is almost twice as dense as lead, which is a material classically known for being cumbersome. Gold is nearly three times as dense as iron. So yeah, in reality 100000 gold pieces would be basically impossible to carry.

(note: I got these densities from my high school regents chemistry reference table. Gold is 19.3 grams per cubic centimeter, lead is 11.3, and iron is 7.87.)