Skip to content

Guilty Moment when playing Evil

KeplerKepler Member Posts: 8
Currently doing a neutral/good playthrough of BGEE and taking Dorn along for the first time. As my reputation was creeping upwards I decided to take action to keep the half-Orc happy.

So, we go into a house in the City, little girl on ground floor, I go upstairs to the bedroom and kill her sleeping father with a magic missile from my bard PC as I decide whacking someone with a sword is a bit uncouth. That little pause before the last missile hits is so satisfying!

Then, I go down and speak to the little girl and she says something to the effect of "I think magic is so beautiful, I want to be a magic-user when I grow up". I cracked up when she said this!

I almost felt guilty casually leading my party away from the scene of the crime.

Anyway, has anyone else felt slightly guilty when doing evil acts (in-game, of course)?

Comments

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Villainous spawn! You shall meet ferrety backstabbing justice at the hands of my minions! :smile:

I feel no guilt when killing a spawn of True Neutrality, either. They should have been more Lawful!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Seriously, it's those kinds of moments that give me all the satisfaction I need when playing evil. Cosmic irony at its best. :smiley:
  • KeplerKepler Member Posts: 8
    Well everyone in my party was good or neutral and I resolved quests in a good way, I just wanted to use Dorn because it was my first time playing the enhanced edition and he was the only new character to interest me.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    CrevsDaak said:

Never. I know I'm just switching bits from 1 to 0 on a massive scale, why should I feel guilty? :)

Says the lord of chaos.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited December 2014
    I'd suggest saving before completing any quest. That way, if it gives a reputation boost and it's not part of the critical quest path you can simply avoid finishing it. If you want to keep Dorn through the entire game, though, you'll have to keep a careful eye on your reputation at all times.

bengoshi's suggestion is a good one, and one which can be employed quite frequently in various buildings in the game.

If you don't mind installing mods then the BG2 Tweaks pack (works with BGEE) offers a Happy Patch option which should prevent evil party members from leaving due to reputation (it won't prevent interpersonal party conflicts though. I believe Dorn and Ajantis eventualy fight, for instance). And, EE Keeper gives you the option to adjust your reputation down again if it has grown too high (make a backup save before you tinker with anything using EE Keeper, just to be safe).

FInally, I think the Helm of Opposite Alignment might help in Dorn's case, changing his alignment and making him a goodly Blackguard. I've yet to try that yet though, so I'm not sure if it works.
    Post edited by kcwise on
    Sage advice! Thanks guys
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    I never feel guilty. In good playthrough I don't do evil stuff, in neutral is part of keeping balance or just being chaotic and in evil... well in evil it's point of the playthrough to do evil =D
    demented said:

You're doing a neutral/good playthrough and yet murder an innocent father because a psychopathic blackguard was sulking? I see...

I would have to agree that's in fact bit @demented‌ =P
    It was not an evil game I was just making some exceptions to try out new content.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I often test my party against various good people on my good play throughs too and then load the game just before the battle and carry on like nothing happened (I mean who doesn't do this ;). I just feel their stare after loading the game: we know what you just did and we're watching you. :)
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited December 2014

After playing hundreds of games... roleplay starts to go on the wayside. I just use EE Keeper to regularly lower reputation if I take an Evil character.

You can imagine giving the finger and spitting on commoners as you make your way through a town :)
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Kepler said:

Then, I go down and speak to the little girl and she says something to the effect of "I think magic is so beautiful, I want to be a magic-user when I grow up".

Maybe her father was an abusive drunkard, and you've just released this poor young lass from his sadistic grasp. Of course, people outside the household will look upon you less favorably because they don't know the full story, but always know that you will have a special place in this girl's heart for giving her a new lease on life.

Either that, or

the girl was Jasmine Richardson ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richardson_family_murders ).

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

I just use EE Keeper to regularly lower reputation if I take an Evil character.

You could also install the bardic reputation adjustment component of the BG1 NPC Project. This creates bards at certain locations in the game, who you can pay to sully your rep (basically the reverse of temples).