Skip to content

Quartz' IWD Let's Play (Sir Durandel)

The first episode ended up being tediously long if you ask me. Then again, I suppose Let's Plays for Infinity Engine games are normally quite long? Anyway, I look forward to feedback as to what I did wrong, what I did right, etc. before continuing. Please let me know what y'all think … and thank you in advance!

http://youtu.be/C1sFXgmLB1c

Comments

• MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    This video is private.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @MrGoodkat WTH? Thanks YouTube. Should be fixed. A non-sarcastic thanks to you for letting me know!
    edited November 2014
    @booinyoureyes‌

Yeah I seriously effed up the music equalization there. It was sort of a last-minute addition sooooo that's why. >_> I uploaded it then started watching for a bit and I was face-palming. Oh well.

You have a good point about Durandel's portrait … I have an odd attachment to it since he's from a previous run. I'll give that some thought, I don't know if it'd be wise to change it after it's already been established though..? What do y'all think?

Errm, and obviously I'm pretty flattered with the feedback on my voice so far. As someone who practices voice acting, singing, and public speaking/dramatic reading, and is anything but a natural, that means a lot…
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Quartz said:

Errm, and obviously I'm pretty flattered with the feedback on my voice so far. As someone who practices voice acting, singing, and public speaking/dramatic reading, and is anything but a natural, that means a lot…

Labor omnia vincit

I agree with others' assessment of your voice. Looking forward to the next episode.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Great! I'll watch it as soon as I have time to (one hour isn't everyday's free time).
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    The first thing that came to my mind when I saw that character's name was "Durandel Anatha."
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I really liked the (unusual but cool) speech about your AI… your PC, Durandal… err Durandel… I think it added a nice background (I haven't seen much more yet).
    Quartz said:

Fun fact I'm taking Latin this semester.

eritris sicut Deus, scientes bonum et malum
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    I like it, clean audio, good quality, looking forward for more.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    nice quote. (I don't speak Latin I popped it into Google)
    edited November 2014
    @bengoshi‌

Oh, stop it, you.
    CrevsDaak said:

eritris sicut Deus, scientes bonum et malum

Something something God, something good and evil.

You can see how much I'm learning from it. :DDDD
    CrevsDaak said:

I really liked the (unusual but cool) speech about your AI… your PC, Durandal… err Durandel… I think it added a nice background (I haven't seen much more yet).

Thanks mate. I'm glad people seem to be appreciating the introduction … Besides the muck-up. xD

@jackjack So, labor omnia vincit actually showed up in my Latin test this morning. Thanks for the review.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Those orcs in da house...

Glad Sendal and Plato survived!

Thanks for the video, excellent : )
    OK then I have a question for my viewers. Cheese, light cheese, no cheese, what should I do?

I've been very intentionally avoiding kiting because it's sort of anti-climactic and underwhelming and all that. Same for resting a ton, it's unrealistic and underwhelming.

But if people want me to do these things so that less dying takes place, I will do so. I just want opinions before I proceed.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    It depends on your own view. To me, it's not "anti-climactic and underwhelming and all that". I see my characters too fragile at the start, they're scared of what is in front of them. My party leader, a bard, is a very cautious figure, she tries to minimize all the risks. So, kiting is very much RP-ed for my party this way.

Think: if you're on an adventure and you know you have two possibilities: to rest in order to have a chance to survive or not to care about your backup spells/abilities and thus to face a sudden death. A cautious figure would choose the first option.

But in the same time, I perfectly understand the opposite view.

So, my advice (is it an advice at all) is to play exactly the way you want to play it. The more sincere your playthrough is, the better it feels like both for you and for us, the viewers.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I enjoyed the video. I like how you're roleplaying Pascal as always getting the party in trouble by mouthing off. I'd love to see some more roleplaying character development with the others.

I saw a few things in tactics and procedure that you could be playing a little safer. One would be to watch your hit points more closely, and make use of your healing potions. A priority of spending should be to get every party member equipped with several healing potions, with more on your frontliners.

Pause and heal if anyone gets to half their hit points, even if the battle is almost over. The cost of a healing potion is less than the cost of dying.

Watch your formation. The squishies will tend to get ahead, so you have to stop sometimes and let the toons get back into appropriate marching order. Think like the commander of an elite military squad that is deep in enemy territory. Don't move ahead quickly. Creep forward slowly, and be very aware of your surroundings.

In dungeons, the thief should be detecting for traps at all times, and remember how slow the process is in the Infinity Engine. Even a thief with 100 detect/disarm traps is still going to walk right into them if she moves too fast.

Anyone who doesn't wear a helmet should pretty much never engage in melee. Take steps to avoid drawing aggro with them if possible, and have them run away if they do get attacked.

Watch out for enemy archers. Hold your squishies back out of range until your frontliners have drawn their fire.

As for "cheese", I say stay alive by any means necessary. What some people call "cheese", I call survival.