Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    They're really superb that they have managed to get the new Beta version for Christmas. It's a very fine move!

It comes as a surprise after those words: " I wouldn't expect that a new backer beta build will come out until the week after Christmas" and really shows they try to their utmost for all their supporters.

So, as Cluas said on the PoE forum, "Yessssssssss !!"
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    Yesssss Sir : ) - I played a few hours yesterday. There is really no words... I am astonished by Obsidians hardworking superteam :D
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    It looks really good. Any info on the release date?
    All they have said was "Early 2015"
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Wow, that video has me really excited to play this. It looks just like a modern Baldur's Gate.
  • FalkonSwiftbladeFalkonSwiftblade Member Posts: 51
    I've heard end of march for release, also reaffirmed with a guidebook you can purchase i think was 24 march it said. i can't recall which forum i saw the link on.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Wow, that video has me really excited to play this. It looks just like a modern Baldur's Gate.

Well, it looks like an IE game, but the rules are very different. Combat is nothing like IE... I like it though.

And I must say, with this new patch, they have gotten much closer, than I thought they ever would...

I've heard end of march for release, also reaffirmed with a guidebook you can purchase i think was 24 march it said. i can't recall which forum i saw the link on.

March 15. But it is not official. Shhh...
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    edited January 2015
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/1107338

Looks like we have a release date!
    March 26th, 2015!

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That'll suit me just fine! ~10 weeks to go :)
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    So pumped.

• SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    edited January 2015
    What?? I can't hear you over playing Elite: Dangerous!! ;)

Okay, seriously though...yeah, I got that email too. Should give me enough time to finally get bored with Elite and look for a new game to play obsessively.

Then again, I can't see me getting bored with Elite any time soon! Also, I still haven't tried Dragon Age: Inquisition yet. Farewell, dear social life...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Soo pretty. Every game should be 2d. ^^
    edited January 2015
    Watching the live-stream right now : )

mega spoilers (and crickets)
    Post edited by Cluas on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    The guys at Obsidian are generous, as always. They've posted a recorded twitch stream for everyone who couldn't watch it live. That's very apprecable.

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/611493909
    That doesn't look anything like BG...the characters don't change weapon hands every time they change their orientation!! ;)

I have to say, much as I liked BG, I hated the avatars you were stuck with. I think they were meant to look bronze age/Roman, but the setting was far more renaissance. I'm glad that these characters' outfits look a bit more true to the late-medieval setting.

Actually, that's one of the things that's bugged me about RPGs for ages, and in a way, I wish I had never gotten into re-enactment, because it's made me look at these things far more critically. I can no longer look at an illustration and think "Wow, cool armour!". Now, I think "Come on, how is that staying on? Why has he got a random bit of leather there? What is the purpose of this thing? Who made this armour, and why??"

Luckily for me, I think Obsidian have made an effort to be more historically accurate with stuff - both naming and in appearance. From what I've seen, the weapons and armour look quite good, and true to life.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    There's so much awesomeness in those screenshots!
    Josh Sawyer has been actively answering the questions: http://jesawyer.tumblr.com

This is an answer I probably find to be the most significant:

"And the weakness of hard counter design is that it forces players to build their parties and even individual characters around encounter limitations that they often can only appreciate in retrospect. Not only does it require prescience/metagaming, but it limits the players’ ability to build the parties that they want to build. I have talked about this before, but I think it’s important to talk about again.

If you don’t want to have a priest in your party, I don’t want you to be forced to take a priest in your party. If you don’t want a rogue in your party, I don’t want you to be forced to do that either. We have made a game with 11 classes that, through Abilities and Talents, can be built in several different ways. Every time we say, “No, you HAVE to use this class ability/spell here” we are narrowing your options for how you build your parties and the characters within them.

In Icewind Dale II, we did not have hard counter spell battle puzzles. We also generally didn’t rely on that many save-or-die effects (there is a “Tactics” mod that changes this). This approach (and a quasi-3E rulest) allowed people to build a relatively wide range of parties and character types within those parties. Because the scenarios typically did not require prior knowledge of what was going to unfold, players could usually react and adapt in the middle of a battle with the tools they had brought.

If we had required hard counters, it would have resulted in fights that could not be overcome without a reload and metagame re-arrangement of spells/abilities or, worse yet, a reconstruction of the party.

Pillars of Eternity is a game that strongly features tactical combat, but it’s first and foremost a role-playing game that encourages you to build a character of your choosing and play through the story as you see fit. After the introduction of the game, you are never required to take companions, much less specific companions or specific classes.

If you hate Pallegina, I don’t want you to feel like it’s necessary to for you to take her because some paladin ability is vital to winning important fights. If you want to make a party of wizards, I want you to be able to do that. If you want to make a party with NO wizards, I want you to be able to do that. If you want to solo the game (which will probably be pretty hard regardless of class), I don’t want you to hit a roadblock where we say “Sorry, you’re never going to get by here unless there’s a wizard in the party with Move Earth memorized.”

Yay! Exactly what is needed!

In the same time, Chris Avellone has done a Q&A with the RPG Codex: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/chris-avellone-tells-the-codex-about-his-current-work-on-pillars-of-eternity.96561/

" I wrote the first iterations of two companions (Durance and the Grieving Mother, who have been scaled down to about ¼ of what they were originally, and the Grieving Mother’s mental dungeon was excised as well, which was essentially a stealth adventure game inside her memories)."

I like him so much! All his ideas seem brilliant! I hope we'll see something similar in Torment. "The Mental dungeon sounds very PST-ey.
    edited January 2015
    bengoshi said:

If we had required hard counters, it would have resulted in fights that could not be overcome without a reload and metagame re-arrangement of spells/abilities or, worse yet, a reconstruction of the party.

This was actually one of the few criticisms I have of the Baldur's Gate games...the fact that you had to have certain spells in your repertoire to win certain fights, that you couldn't reasonably expect to know were coming unless you'd played through it before (or read about it on a forum).

Case in point: the infamous Kangaxx (how do you kill him by the way? ;) (for those who don't know, this was one of the most asked questions on PBG, to the point where it became a joke to ask how to kill him) ). Of all the protection from magic spells, you had to just know that you needed a specific one, and when you knew you needed it, there was no way to get it if you didn't already have it, other than to reload and somehow know that you need a spell that you've never needed before. I'm sure some hardcore gamer will disagree with me here (somebody on the Obsidian forum tried to make the case that the game was preparing you for certain eventualities by throwing wizards with those kinds of spells at you but, really, with so many spells that are only useful in one situation, and so few spell slots...), but I think it was virtually impossible for normal people to do that fight first time around without any prior knowledge of the encounter.

The only potential problem with making it so universally do-able, however, is that it might end up being too easy. Compare liches from NWN with those from BG...the ones in Neverwinter were pathetic by comparison. :D
    Thanks @bengoshi‌
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited January 2015
    dont like the look of the combat...looks like a bastard offspring of wow
    too much of an arcade game look.

lacks any real atmosphere imo. Seems like one giant hackNslash fest.
    where is the roleplay ? looks like streetfighter set in a fantasy universe.

WOnt be buying it.
    What? hackNslash? No way! Did you try the beta? If not, then I'll share my experience.

There's a party of 4 or 5 wild druids on the area next to the starting one in the beta version. And I tell you: there's absolutely no chance you can win this battle without constant pausing the game and changing orders.

Another example. In the dungeon on the first beta location there're two ordinary human enemies. Even your party of 5 characters will lose to them if you don't micro-manage.

The amount of abilities and spells of your characters in this game is immense. Every literally second you should check if there's some new command you can give to your characters.

The battle in PoE is as far from hackNslash as possible. Without thinking you won't win easily even against a pack of lions. And all this is relevant even to the easy difficulty.

So, @ameliaboggins‌ , I advice you not to think the way you did. As soon as you begin playing this game, it feels like a great RPG. The number of information, dialogues, lore is immense. I needed 3 hours only to talk to everyone and to read everything in the starting beta location, and this even without starting any fights at all.

If you can't try the beta, you can watch the videos of this game once more.