Skip to content

EE Keeper, Updated to v1.0.4

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Don't worry, I can wait. ;)
    Troodon80 said:

(one such feature is the update checker I mentioned before, it will use the CUrl library to request the version from SourceForge and compare it against it's own version, but it won't actually download Keeper—rather, it will bring you to the latest version on SourceForge where you can download it).

Then you're better off than I am. I'd have to reinvent the wheel for a proper update feature in Near Infinity (I've already sketched out a working solution nevertheless).
    Troodon80CrevsDaaklolienjackjack
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    argent77 said:

Then you're better off than I am. I'd have to reinvent the wheel for a proper update feature in Near Infinity (I've already sketched out a working solution nevertheless).

@argent77,

Most results I've come across say to use Jsoup. I see you have used a couple libraries already, so it would really be a choice for re-inventing the wheel or using an already-invented wheel (in my case, using CUrl is a no-brainer -- HTML parsing is more difficult and long-winded in C/C++ than Java).

Forgoing either the need to use SourceForge for PHP requests or maintain a separate document on GitHub with the version number, it looks like GitHub uses the same code for each update:
    <h1 class="release-title">
    <a href="https://github.com/Argent77/NearInfinity/releases/tag/snapshot-20150104">Snapshot 20150104</a>
    </h1>
    So you could viably use only the snapshot number, e.g. 20150104.

Which means that this...
    Document doc = Jsoup.connect("https://github.com/Argent77/NearInfinity/releases").get();
    String version_text = doc.select(".release-title").first().text();
    ... should get "Snapshot 20150104". Filter off 'Snapshot ' to get just the number and then compare it against the current one, e.g. 20141217. That obviously won't account for changes to the primary version numbers, so if you ever decide to use a different method (i.e. drop the 'snapshot' and just use version numbers as standard; major, minor, build, and revision) you should probably think of a long-term plan for that change. If you don't plan on making any changes, it sounds like an easy enough solution.

With that said, I know very, very, very little Java. Enough to get me by in a tight spot, but that's about it.
    CrevsDaaklolienjackjack
    From what I've seen, Github doesn't support PHP requests. I have found another solution however, centering around a simple text file which provides all the required information about updated versions (such as URL, md5 hashes, release date, etc.) and Java provides a good network API out of the box.
    The main problem is that Near Infinity is a community project with lots of forks (well, not so many anymore, but I still need to take this fact into account). My draft is pretty much complete by now, but the actual implementation will take some time.
    Troodon80lolien
    argent77 said:

My draft is pretty much complete by now, but the actual implementation will take some time.

Whatever the plan of action is, I look forward to it. :-)
    lolienjackjackCrevsDaak
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Any idea why all the sudden when I open EE Keeper the screen seems to open minimized? I see a small "Indexing Resources" window, and when that goes away the EE Keeper window never displays. It's showing on my task bar, sort of like when you have an application open on a secondary monitor and you can't see it on your primary. Except, I only have a single monitor connected.

This was working fine a few days ago. I did go ahead and freshly upload the files into my IWD EE directory, but same difference. My older BG2 EE version is opening fine, as is all other applications that I launch.

Just EE Keeper seems to be acting strange.

Running Windows 8 64 bit.
    It sounds very much like the issue @Troodon80‌ described in this post. To make the window visible again, select the icon in the taskbar, press Alt+Space and select "Maximize" from the menu. Alternatively you can open the eekeeper.ini in a text editor and manually set both x and y entries in the "[Settings]" section to 0.
    Troodon80marcerorjackjacklolien
    Thanks. I'll give that a try shortly. I couldn't remember the keyboard shortcut to maximize. I know Alt-F4 is minimize all windows. Come to think of it, it used to be I just had to right click on the task bar for that option to come up. For some reason with Windows 8 I have to know a funky shortcut?

Microsoft is apparently too enamored with trying to turn my desktop platform into a bastardized, hybrid mobile experience. /deep sigh
    marceror said:

Thanks. I'll give that a try shortly. I couldn't remember the keyboard shortcut to maximize. I know Alt-F4 is minimize all windows.

It's Windows+Up (at least on Windows 7), and yes, this shortcut works too.
    jackjack
    Hmm, so when I do Alt+Spacebar both the maximize and minimize options are grayed out. Really strange.

I'll play around with this a bit more. I really want my half-orc paladin!
    lolien
    I deleted eekeeper.ini, reset my parameters for install location, save game location, etc. And now I'm back up and running. Weird.
    jackjack
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    marceror said:

Hmm, so when I do Alt+Spacebar both the maximize and minimize options are grayed out. Really strange.

Marc, Just pickup Dorn! :wink:
    lolien
    Blades said:

marceror said:

Marc, Just pickup Dorn! :wink:
    That's hard to do in IWD EE! :P

And besides, he would not work out well at all in my team of goody goodies!

And as mentioned before, I managed to resolve the issue by deleting the eekeeper.ini file.
    jackjacklolien
  • catch6229catch6229 Member Posts: 29
    Hey guys. Newbie question here. I've just installed Icewind Dale EE on my ipad. Getting EE keeper to work with Baldur's Gate was easy - I just followed the instructions to copy the "Baldur Gate II.app file. Same for BG 1. I'm browsing the Icewind Dale folder through IFunBox - but I don't see this file in the folder. I've been looking for a guide for using EEkeeper specifically for Icewind dale for Ipad but haven't found a thread for it. Any advice? Thank you in advance.
    @Pibaro is the one to ask about that.
    Pibarololien
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I thought you could do it, but it looks like @catch6229 is right.
    I couldn't find it.
    jackjacklolien
  • catch6229catch6229 Member Posts: 29
    The best option I've seen so far is to copy save games from your Ipad to the Baldur's Gate 2 save folder and editing the game as if it were a BG2 save game. Of course that requires owning BG2 - but I imagine people with IWD own that as well. Its not ideal of course - but its something.
    lolien
  • SvenSSvenS Member Posts: 6
    Hello! Just got eekeeper to try to fix the "stuck in ust Natha with no matronmother" issue. Since I play on android I made a fake BGEE2 directory as suggested, but cannot get it to work. I suspect its the language issue as I see no languages listed in the dropdown menu. I manually typed English which made it appear in the dropdown, but still doesnt work. I tried typing en_US the same way but that wont go on the dropdown.
    EEkeeper reports "unable to read text resources".

Please help
    Cheers
    Sven
    @SvenS, did you extract all the contents of the game from Android, or have BG2:EE installed?
    edited February 2015
    I copied obb data and saves, like you suggested earlier
    edited February 2015
    Tried copying over the full "files" folder from the android but still same issue. If that helps? :/

All from android with homemade "fake" BG EE 2 folder
    @SvenS, what folder are you using as the installation directory and what folder are you using as the user data directory (the actual paths)?
    edited February 2015
    I have tried the following:
    C:programs\Baldursgateii\data\00783
    C:programs\Baldursgateii
    C:users\Sven\desktop\android-bg
    Possibly some variants of the above
    Saves the same but further down the tree to the save folder, both directly and with all the subfolders ie data\files\save
    Sven
    Is the language dropdown supposed to work as I described above btw?
    @SvenS, if the game installation directory has been set correctly, then the language drop-down will populate with the known languages from the lang folder.

If you give me a step-by-step run through of what you did from transferring the files, extracting them, etc., all the way to trying to run Keeper and setting the directories, that should give me an idea about where the problem is arising.
    Ok will do later this evening, have to prepare a birthday celebration now. Thx for helping!
    I started by making a folder named android-BG on the desktop and copied the obb folder from the android there, then made a save folder and copied the gamesave into it. When that didnt work I looked at the folder structure on the android and made sub folders like that installation, ie android-BG\data\files\save. the obb folder is android-BG\obb. I then moved the whole android-BG to my programs folder to see if that worked and tried renaming the folder like a proper BG 2 folder with and without the 00783.

I looked at the obb files but they are not extractable, which your previous instructions say they should be, could that be the issue??

I havent seen ANY language files anywhere in the android setup, where are they supposed to be hidden?

Thx again
    Sven
    @SvenS
    SvenS said:

I looked at the obb files but they are not extractable, which your previous instructions say they should be, could that be the issue??

They shouldn't be executable, but you should be able to open them if you use 7-Zip. You'll want to extract the contents to that folder called \android-BG\.
    edited February 2015
    New update available. 1.0.2.7. It's a small update which includes the fixes on the previous couple pages (for kits), as well as the update checker. Note that update checking will be mostly useless for the Wineskin wrapped version (in the future, I don't think 1.0.2.7 warrants a newly wrapped version, but I'll leave that up to AstroBryGuy).

I wanted to include a couple more fixes, but there is some confusion over the current version—and I hate having multiple different versions floating around with the same version number.

Translations are not yet available, so text will appear in English for new items.

MusignyCrevsDaak
    I decided to test the new update checker functionality.

Turns out SourceForge is currently down. There's nothing quite like a real life test. :D

MusignyCrevsDaakjackjack
    Minor update. 1.0.2.8. Forgot the fix for @Argent77. Window position and state are now saved to the INI file. If you want child windows to also save state, let me know and I'll get that in as well.
    argent77AstroBryGuyCrevsDaakjackjack
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    @Troodon80 , curious if there's a way to fix the fact that when you edit a save log with EE Keeper, it grants the characters back any used spells or spell-like abilities? Is it a setting I'm just not seeing? If you simply don't memorize it, it'll not appear as used in your spellbook (faded icon) and you have to reselect it. Minor thing, just curious.
    CrevsDaak