Skip to content

Will we ever see "Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition"?

Comments

• MusaabMusaab Member Posts: 92
    This and Icewind Dale 2: EE are all I ask.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    In a recent interview Trent Oster mentions they have three active projects. There's Adventure Y, and there's Adventure Z/Beartrap. So what's the third? Could it be PS:T EE?
    JuliusBorisov
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    I would *love* a PS:T EE!
    BlackravenRavenslightDJKajuru
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    I personally have no problem with running Planescape: Torment on my new PC that I've bought several months ago. The same is for any IE game, so I see no need for an EE version of PS:T. When I was buying the PC I carfully chose each component having in mind that I'll be playing old games as well. I don't like widescreen mods and having two black bars on the sides of my monitor works just fine for me.

So, I don't mind for an updated version, I might check it out, but will probably keep playing the original, as I did with Baldur's Gate. However, if there'll be PS:T:EE I'm hoping it won't use BG2 engine, because that ruined both BG1:EE and IWD1:EE for me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovFaydarkPibaroillathid
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Is it possible that Beamdog use Unity engine for some unkown IP? Maybe some succesor to BG.
    Planescape EE probably won't happen because of Numenera release.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    brus said:

Planescape EE probably won't happen because of Numenera release.

Just on the contrary, I think that when TToN is released the common interest in the vanilla game will increase greatly. And this is why it will be the perfect time to announce PSTEE.

Taking into account that so far Beamdog hasn't decided on their future project and up to the time of the TToN release the patching process for BGEEs, IWDEE and Adventure Y (fingers crossed) will be nearly done, I actually think that the first half of 2016 can become a good choice for the PSTEE announcement.
    mlnevesecmk24SmilingSword
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I agree with @Bengoshi if anything seeing Numenera released will probably increase the exposure of Planescape Torment. It was not a particularly well selling game to begin with after all.
    JuliusBorisovmlnevesecmk24
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Maybe, but I think that Beamdog should consider making distant future plans for unknow IP in Unity or GemRG if they don't own licence for Infinity. They'll got more attention from fan and players. Again PSTEE would be great but look what Obsidian made with POE.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Enhanced Planescape would be so awesome. I'm playing through the original right now but there are so many problems with it, even with all the mods...spells don't show graphics correctly, frequent crashes, and slowdowns on a modern PC...If they just updated it and made the UI as easy to use as the other enhanced editions, that would be perfect.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Do we even know if the source code is available?
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Planescape: Torment and IWD2 NEED an Enhanced Edition.

IWD2 was very rushed and Josh Sawyer had to write the story of it in just a few days, it was also missing 3D Acceleration. Something that IWD1 had.
    The 3E rules could also be improved as 3E was very fresh and new when IWD2 came out and they were half-implemented.

PS:T also could use a much cleaner and updated interface. Not something from scratch, but the icons and their placement were so obscure that you had no idea what some of them did and were squeezed in awkward corners.
    Bug-fixing, restoring unfinished quests, fixing some of the dialogue errors (if any), fixing some spells (if needed), perhaps adding new spells from the Planescape setting.

Both games need an update more than any other Infinity Engine game, except BG1.
    JuliusBorisovSmilingSwordPibaro
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    Archaos said:

PS:T … Bug-fixing, restoring unfinished quests, fixing some of the dialogue errors (if any), fixing some spells (if needed), perhaps adding new spells from the Planescape setting.

Do you mean Qwinn's work is not good enough? That combined with Bigg’s Widescreen and Ghostdog’s incredible UI makes the game play really well on modern machine imho.

I would love to see a PS:T:EE, mind you, but that's because I wish I could play it on my iPad! Of course, if the original art was still around, that would be really amazing but it seems pretty clear that if it were the case, Beamdog would already have made their move.
    jjstraka34Pibaro
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    If this doesn't get made someone at Beamdog is getting smacked.
    NatenDJKajuruPibaro
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    ljbo said:

Archaos said:

PS:T … Bug-fixing, restoring unfinished quests, fixing some of the dialogue errors (if any), fixing some spells (if needed), perhaps adding new spells from the Planescape setting.

Do you mean Qwinn's work is not good enough? That combined with Bigg’s Widescreen and Ghostdog’s incredible UI makes the game play really well on modern machine imho.

I would love to see a PS:T:EE, mind you, but that's because I wish I could play it on my iPad! Of course, if the original art was still around, that would be really amazing but it seems pretty clear that if it were the case, Beamdog would already have made their move.
    Agreed, following the modding guide that is on GOG for Planescape really makes the game shine. It has to be done in order and precisely, and you would be advised to not have anything running in the background, but other than that it looks pretty damn good. I'd argue that IWD2 needs the update even more since it was never extensively modded, but I'm hoping for both of them eventually. Badly.

Musaab
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Sertorius That phrase "Website Coming Soon! Stay Tuned" has been on that site for 2 years at least:)
    mlneveseSertoriusGenderNihilismGirdle
  • SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    can't blame me for being hopeful :)
    Montresor_SPJuliusBorisovGenderNihilismGirdle
    SHHH!

Beamdog retweeted this tweet:

And gave the following reply:

I'm sure the mere fact of retweeting a tweet about not the already released EE game and/or the Adventure Y should mean it.
    mlnevesecmk24GenderNihilismGirdlelolien
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Boy, we're really grasping every bit of information about PST:EE :smile:
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    Planescape fans, you might be interested in the new art book Tony DiTerlizzi just released. He did much of the original PS box set art. Realms: The Roleplaying Game Art of Tony DiTerlizzi
    elminsterGotural
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Archaos said:

IWD2 NEED an Enhanced Edition.
    The 3E rules could also be improved as 3E was very fresh and new when IWD2 came out and they were half-implemented.

I would rather vote for IWD2. As you said, it could be VERY interesting to see an enhanced version of the 3E rulset…