Skip to content

Best Imoen Portrait?

Comments

• WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72
    Baldurs Gate II for me as it was the first one I played, even though I finished BG 1 first. I'm sure if i'd played BG 1 first it would be the other way around.

I do feel like there is a lot going on in her BG 2 portrait though.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I don't get why people hate her BG1 portrait, but I do think the BG2 one is better. It's a better design with more personality.
  • mellotronheartmellotronheart Member Posts: 13
    I like both portraits but I think her BG1 portrait looks a little older than she should be.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    BG2 Imoen portrait screams, "All my hope and joy in life are gone forever. I'll just stand here and try and pretend to look interested."
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    LadyRhian said:

BG2 Imoen portrait screams, "All my hope and joy in life are gone forever. I'll just stand here and try and pretend to look interested."

Well, that is the character she became in BG2. For that character, the updated portrait fits.

Personally, I like the BG1 character better. And I feel more of an affinity with the BG1 portrait. It does look a little old for her, though. The BG1 Jaheira portrait feels like a better match for BG1 Imoen.

• WoldanWoldan Member Posts: 41
    BG2 Imoen looks more like a capable thief/mage than her BG1 portrait which makes her look like an annoying noblewoman's spoiled teenager brat. :p
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    That one's awesome Lemernis.

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I don't think BG1 is altogether fitting for her. But I think the BG2 portrait makes her look sad and kind of like some sort of hopeless character. Then again, she DOES go from being a cheery, lovable little girl to emo kid, so I guess it's fitting.

I don't like what they did with Imoen in BG2 in general; other than the whole "she's a Bhaalspawn too" bombshell. That was literally probably the only thing I liked.
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    Honestly, this sounds vain:

But I really can't imagine a fat ballspawn.
  • JozapeJozape Member Posts: 12
    I prefer the BG1 portrait. Partially because the art direction is superior, partially because she looks cheerful and naive(that sounds wrong) rather than indifferent or even depressed. Also I really found Imoen annoying in BG2 which might affect my preference for the BG1 portrait.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    edited August 2012
    I would hate to get in a fist-fight w/ Imoen from BG1, she looks like she wears underwear w/ dick holes in 'em.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited August 2012
    If the BG2 portrait wins, this poll is unfair.

EDIT: also, BG2 Imoen is emo.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    While I almost never use Imoen, I prefer the 2nd portrait by far. The first portrait makes her appear to be some princess that has never seen a single round of combat, let alone spent time in it. The second one clearly displays that she's been in fights, and with her history, you know that's a fact.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    BG2 portrait all the way. She looks like a thief/mage. Her face is better, her hair is better and she looks cuter.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Neither portrait looks anything like Imoen as I imagine her. I can't see either of them bouncing up to me and saying: "Heya, it's me, Imoen."
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    I do prefer the 2nd, but looking at them now, dont they kinda tell a story? The BG1 was the Imoen who was fresh from the security and safety of the home she's known all her life. The 2nd is the Imoen from the hardening experiences of torture, murder and adventure.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416

I do prefer the 2nd, but looking at them now, dont they kinda tell a story? The BG1 was the Imoen who was fresh from the security and safety of the home she's known all her life. The 2nd is the Imoen from the hardening experiences of torture, murder and adventure.

That's an excellent and realistic way of looking at them, and your perspective is probably more fact than mere opinion.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    I like both portraits, but what I like even more is how her BG2 portraits suits her changing between the two games. I so wish the same had been achieved with Jaheira's BG2 portrait. In BG2 Imoen still has that interest towards world even if her joyfulness and mischievousness is much toned down. At the same time her eyes hold the haunting of suffering.

(And she's certainly not fat... the preference is regarding wider/narrower facial structure and more/less pronounced cheek bones, not fat/skinny O.o)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Moira said:

(And she's certainly not fat... the preference is regarding wider/narrower facial structure and more/less pronounced cheek bones, not fat/skinny O.o)

This. Her BG1 portrait clearly has baby fat still left on her cheeks, no she's not a "fat chick" or whatever. Chrimeny.
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    BG1 Imoen is fat??

...does not compute. Same goes for the pink hair. I mean what were they thinking?!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

That one's awesome Lemernis.

Another nice aspect with that portrait is that Immy's hair and armor can be set to a near dead-on match in-game that also looks really good.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    Moira said:

I so wish the same had been achieved with Jaheira's BG2 portrait.

Oh? I always thought Jaheria's change in portrait (apart from her eye colour) was she went from being more stern in BG1 to being actively guarded/ wounded in BG2. Kinda like the life has been drained from her.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited August 2012
    The Baldur's Gate 1 portraits are way more nostalgic for me than number 2's portraits ... but I prefer the 'overall' art style and consistency of the latter, they make a better 'set' plus everyone looks pretty, which is a bonus in my books.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Gone for BG2... But it is very depressing. With a face like that we can deduce that her cat has just died, the painters are in and she has no chocolate...
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Smaug said:

I would hate to get in a fist-fight w/ Imoen from BG1, she looks like she wears underwear w/ dick holes in 'em.

Wait...what?
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2012
    I think all the bg1 npc pics are ugly. Too much makeup is evident. Gee, I'm in a hole killing kobolds, I think I'll wear my purple eye make up. They all look more appropriate to adventure in the bg2 portraits. Also imoen from bg 2 looks like she might have been chipper and cheerful. Bg1 imoen looks like they were targeting an older audience whom they wanted to get excited. It seems to have worked too.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

I think all the bg1 npc pics are ugly. Too much makeup is evident. Gee, I'm in a hole killing kobolds, I think I'll wear my purple eye make up. They all look more appropriate to adventure in the bg2 portraits. Also imoen from bg 2 looks like she might have been chipper and cheerful. Bg1 imoen looks like they were targeting an older audience whom they wanted to get excited. It seems to have worked too.

Look you, sir! Leave my unnatural lusts for my half-sister out of this!
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Completely off topic. How do you make a poll for people to vote on?

@Schneidend There is a mod out there called Imeon Romance... Never played it... But if you got that lust... well...
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    @Anduin: Next to your controls (Inbox, config, bookmarks) you have a "new discussion" topic button, press it and then press new poll.