Skip to content

Trying To Decide Between Keldorn and Anomen

AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
So, I've been running around Athkatla gathering coin, swapping out Keldorn and Anomen as the whim takes me. (I'm willing to cheat a little to equalise everyone's XP before I finally head for Spellhold.) But I've just taken Keldorn to the Government District for the first time, and now he wants to visit the wife and kids ... so it's time to make a decision about how to handle his personal quest.

The rest of my party consists of a Dwarven Defender, Rasaad, Mazzy, Aerie, and Yoshimo who will be replaced with Imoen when the time comes - basically Team Lawful Good (And Also Someone Who Can Actually Open A Door). But now I can't decide which of the remaining Lawful Good characters should join the team permanently.

On Keldorn's side of the equation:

- Casomyr. That's almost a winning argument in and of itself, mechanically speaking. My first CHARNAME was a Paladin, and I love that thing. My dwarf will be wielding Crom Faeyr, so nothing Anomen can use will quite match up to that.

- A host of useful Inquisitor abilities.

- A Paladin is basically the ultimate in Lawful Good, and I do have a theme going here.

... but on Anomen's side:

- Spellcasting. Why take one Cleric when you could take two? So many useful buffs. And it means that when Aerie inevitably bites it there's someone who can res her without walking all the way to a Temple.

- A Strength score that doesn't require him to steal items that could be better used by Rasaad and Mazzy. (Mazzy will mostly be an archer, but it's not like she won't end up in melee sometimes.) Especially since Anomen can easily pump himself up with spells.

- More interesting banter. Without him, Team Lawful Good basically stand around being nice to each other. It's kind of blah without everyone's favourite jerk sticking both feet in his mouth every time he opens it.

- Given the situation, I always feel bad about taking Keldorn away from his family. My character wouldn't, necessarily, since she's big on duty and sacrifice - but that won't stop me feeling awful about it.

I guess that Anomen has more advantages, but I feel that Casomyr should probably count twice. I'm half-tempted to drop Rasaad and take both of them, but this is the first time I've played the Enhanced Edition and I feel like I should bring one of the new NPCs. Besides, watching him gradually turn into a murder machine is entertaining, and Anomen won't romance a dwarf ...

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited February 2015
    It really comes down to whom you like the more as a character, both are powerful (though i would rate Keldorn as more powerful because of his kit + Carsomyr).

The thing you have to ask yourself is if you need another cleric or if you want another fighter. While another cleric is good to have, Aerie should cover most of your needs for buffing and a rod of resurrection which there are plenty of and you can recharge in shops, is much better for resurrecting people than a cleric.

To put it short in my opinion.

Gameplay -> Keldorn
    Personality -> Whichever you prefer
    Usefulness in your party -> Keldorn

That dispel magic is very powerful and can not only remove the enemies buffs but also save your own people from debuffs.

Any reason you don't remove Mazzy and take Keldorn? He would do exactly what she does in your party and then some more. Keldorn have some really nice dialogues with Anomen even if you make anomen go CN. Mazzy on the other hand should be taken in a team with Korgan and Valygar to get the most out of her banters.

[Edited] : And unless you really want Aerie in your team you could also remove her and then make it without magic for a short while until you get Imoen which shouldn't be a problem. Then you'll have a single class cleric in Anomen and a single class mage in Imoen, which is more than enough.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'd go with Keldorn any day of the week. Partially for the reasons wubble outlines, and partially because he's an Inquisitor. Yeah, he needs a few items to really shine in melee, but there are enough strength-raising items to go around, and it's hard to put a price on Inquisitor Dispel.

I do feel bad for his family, but I'm inclined to allow the old paladin one last heroic quest before he retires.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Take Keldorn and a rod of resurrection so you can use that instead of waiting to get to a temple if Aerie bites it far from somewhere convenient.

From a RP perspective, both these two are somewhat interesting characters but of the two Keldorn is clearly the more "LG" of the two if you are truly going for a party of kind and valiant people. Anomen is lawful #$*& waaayyy too much of the time. Without Viconia in your party, Keldorn should play quite nicely with others.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    keldorn
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    The good thing about Anomen is that he level up very fast, and the turning is very effective (so effective that every undead would die without problems even in SoA, except Kangaxx).
    Anyway i think that Keldorn is much better if you don't play a paladin.
    And i totally agree with people that say that Anomen is annoying.
  • OllmerOllmer Member Posts: 73
    SionIV said:

Keldorn have some really nice dialogues with Anomen even if you make anomen go CN.

The dialogs are interesting, but you are risking to eventually end up like this at the most inconvenient moment (also note that PC is a Blade, so he has high CHAR score that does not prevent this from triggering):

• DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    There is something useful for Anomen: The flail of Ages. You can give Aerie the Staff of the Magi instead and Imoen Gensens Shortbow.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Anomen without Jan is just pointless. Take Keldorn and rejoice!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I would take both Anomen and Keldorn instead of Mazzy (runs away)
  • BejogoBejogo Member Posts: 38
    bengoshi said:

I would take both Anomen and Keldorn instead of Mazzy (runs away)

I'd be inclined to do the same. Anomen and Keldorn have a great relationship, one I feel is one of the most interesting in the game, no matter the direction in which you take Anomen's quest. Mazzy's most interesting interactions are with an evil character; the rest, whilst potentially entertaining, are rather brief. Plus, with Rasaad closing the gap between you and the enemy line faster than anything Mazzy could fire at them, you don't really need an archer. She may be your comrade-in-height, and delightful, and Commander Shepard, but she's quite probably the weakest link here.

There is, however, another way... use EEKeeper to give Mazzy enough levels of thief to detect and disarm traps. As a lawful party, you shouldn't really be breaking and entering, and keeping a few knock scrolls on Aerie will mean you can get through any lock you will want to pick. So just give Mazzy three or four levels of thief and put everything into detect traps.

It makes sense from a roleplaying perspective; she's a nimble-fingered halfling and an experienced dungeon-delver, and she's low enough to the ground to see any impending trip wires!

Were she a human, it would be a viable dual-class within the engine, and I don't consider it cheating at all. The necessity of bringing a thief along with every playthrough really hinders one's ability to make a dynamic and unique party. Modding Mazzy in this way won't give her an unfair advantage in mechanical terms, it will just mean that you can get through dungeons safely without having to bring along a character that doesn't fit in your group.

If you'd rather not go down this route, remember also that Rasaad can detect (if not disarm) traps, as can Aerie and Anomen if you're willing to use a few spell slots. Instead of disarming them, you can use a low-level summon to trigger them. Both these, and knock scrolls, are dirt-cheap.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that having a thief really isn't that vital. Drop Yoshimo, comrade!

Oh, and with regards to forcing Keldorn to stick around:
    Andraste said:

Given the situation, I always feel bad about taking Keldorn away from his family. My character wouldn't, necessarily, since she's big on duty and sacrifice...

There you have it. If your character would hold Keldorn to his word, it really doesn't matter what you would do. This is a roleplaying game, after all!
  • GlidderdustGlidderdust Member Posts: 70
    I never take Mazzy for extended periods of time. It takes too long to give her good weapon proficiency and archery decreases in value the further in the game you progress.

I took Keldorn and Anomen in a recent play through. They don't have much banter after Anomen turns LG. This is sort of weird, but Anomen always starts with a lot of experience and levels up quickly. I sort of get annoyed that he becomes so powerful so quickly since I don't really like his character.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

I never take Mazzy for extended periods of time. It takes too long to give her good weapon proficiency and archery decreases in value the further in the game you progress.

I like to get her early and invest all her proficiency points in halberds since there are plenty of good ones in SOA / TOB. I think that could work with any weapon. You could also switch her proficiency points if you aren't willing to wait for her.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I keep meaning to go with Anomen, just to turn him to Chaotic Neutral. But I just can't get past that first impression.
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    Anomen = Mega-butthole who needs a punch or two in the nuts. Take Keldorn, he is the ultimate good guy super hero.
  • by_the_swordby_the_sword Member Posts: 42
    I took Keldorn once time because Jahera got desintegrated by a beholder. Once I got him the Gauntlets of Dexterity, and Carsomyr, he became an indespensible member of the party. Once I got him a girdle of giant strength, no monster was safe from him.

Once he gets Carsomyr, his magic resistance is at 50%. If he drinks a potion of Magic Protection, that brings it up to 100%. With true sight and dispel magic, no mage is safe from him. Demon lords soil themselves at his approach. I only regret that I cannot have him along in my current group (I am playing as a Blackguard, with Hexxat, Viconia and occasionally Korgan, in the group).
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Both are awesome though I have a hard time taking Keldorn after his quest. Anomen is amazing against the undead XD and I'm probably in the minority who actually love him and don't find him annoying at all. I love Aerie too for that matter XD
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    Anomen is a good choice early on, but he gets a bit boring. Have him at least once too play out his story, it's worth it.
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2015

Both are awesome though I have a hard time taking Keldorn after his quest. Anomen is amazing against the undead XD and I'm probably in the minority who actually love him and don't find him annoying at all. I love Aerie too for that matter XD

"Ugh I'm sooooo tired.... I've never walked so much in my life!" You love Aerie?!?
    Anomen and Aerie are the worst though IMHO
    CField17 said:

"Ugh I'm sooooo tired.... I've never walked so much in my life!" You love Aerie?!?
    She was a flying creature originally, and spent years in a cage. When the hell would she have walked much?? Aerie is probably the most good character in BG, considering how she has been 'tested' by life. The only question is how hasn't Ilmater sent his best prostelyzers to convert her. Catholic Sainthood material ffs. Disliking something that good reflects poorly on one's character IMHO.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    DreadKhan said:

CField17 said:

Aerie is probably the most good character in BG, considering how she has been 'tested' by life.
    Even more so than Minsc? The man is severely brain damaged and still manages to be a champion of good and righteousness,his witch was just murdered at the start of bg2 and he's still awesomely good. Also boo.
    DreadKhan said:

CField17 said:

She was a flying creature originally, and spent years in a cage. When the hell would she have walked much?? Aerie is probably the most good character in BG, considering how she has been 'tested' by life. The only question is how hasn't Ilmater sent his best prostelyzers to convert her. Catholic Sainthood material ffs. Disliking something that good reflects poorly on one's character IMHO.

@DreadKhan are you really questioning my character because I don't like Aerie's "I'm tired" line? Please tell me I'm misunderstanding this
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    It's a shame that BG2 doesn't have the need for Naked Scout Missions. Anomen is ALMOST as good as Khalid in that circumstance.
    wubble said:

DreadKhan said:

CField17 said:

Aerie is probably the most good character in BG, considering how she has been 'tested' by life.
    Even more so than Minsc? The man is severely brain damaged and still manages to be a champion of good and righteousness,his witch was just murdered at the start of bg2 and he's still awesomely good. Also boo.
    Erm, many would argue that intelligence is usually going to make it harder to be a good person. I personally see good as generally more wise, in the big picture sense, but no reason unwise cannot be good. Anyways, I don't think Minsc had the more trying life. Being kidnapped/enslaved, and going from considerable mobility to spending presumeably a good, long while in a cage, then having body parts amputated without anasthetics (...in a world where actual magic exists), thats pretty awful. Minsc lost a valued friend and ally in battle iirc, this would also be hard, but I can't say that its in the same ballpark.

However, I do find in interesting that Minsc is very attatched to Aerie. Both have been caged and tormented, so they really have much in common.

@CField17 you were awfully flippant, and while Aerie is a game character, most people aren't very patient or understanding of those significantly disadvantaged. I don't consider that alone to be a very reasonable reason to dislike someone, and Imassumed you were going to take the 'Aerie whinnes all the time' angle. Perhaps you could elaborate your precise position? Or don't, and we'll move on.
    She does whine all the time. And please don't be so sensitive, I was just being funny.
    CField17 said:

She does whine all the time. And please don't be so sensitive, I was just being funny.

Telling your life story isn't being whiney. She isn't even that big on 'woe is me', more looking to be understood by companions, or more specificly, a potential mate (IE PC or Haer), which is pretty good form actually.

Thank you for justifying my previous statement though. That said, we can probably move back on topic, the topic being 'Anomen is lawful jack***'. But maybe I am being too harsh? Probably not though.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Jarrakul said:

Oh come now, that's hardly fair. There isn't an NPC in the game whose fatigued lines *aren't* annoying.

There is, actually.

Let us hold here... you look tired