Skip to content

Hidden Item Screenshots

So, looking at another thread about easter eggs, I learned that there are hidden items scattered in certain maps.
that is so cool, I've been playing this game since it came out originally (I even kept the manual until a flood in my house destroyed it last year ) and never found them. But saying somewhere on the friendly arm inn map isn't that helpful that's a big map. Would posters who have found these items post screenshots showing where to find them?

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Umm, tab button will highlight all the hidden containers/items in enhanced edition, which uses ToB engine. Original bg did not have this feature so people had to pixel hunt with their mouse cursors.

Also there are ample game faqs and guides for finding practically every item in the game. They are really not that secret or hidden anymore. As secret as the 'secret cow level' from old diablo 2 times.
  • lastknightleftlastknightleft Member Posts: 12
    lunar said:

Umm, tab button will highlight all the hidden containers/items in enhanced edition, which uses ToB engine. Original bg did not have this feature so people had to pixel hunt with their mouse cursors.

Also there are ample game faqs and guides for finding practically every item in the game. They are really not that secret or hidden anymore. As secret as the 'secret cow level' from old diablo 2 times.

I had no clue about the tab button does it show them if there are no PCs in the area (like if it's off in the fog) or only if you're standing close enough to see it?

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173

lunar said:

I had no clue about the tab button does it show them if there are no PCs in the area (like if it's off in the fog) or only if you're standing close enough to see it?

You can highlight the items on the ground even if they are in the fog as long as you have previously explored the area.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    VahnXIII said:

Well I started a new game cause I finally got the NPC project mod to work for my game so far I've gotten the ring of wizardry and the ring of protection. Man getting a ring of wizardry makes such a difference for low level spellcasters I wish I had known about it in any of the Probably 12+ times I've played this game.

The ring of wizardry certainly helps! I typically choose sleep as my first spell. Now I get to cast more than once per day haha!
    Sleep is just so very deadly early in the game. Very few opponents are immune to it and the area of effect, significant duration and -2 saving throw modifier make it a powerhouse spell for much of BG1.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I played the game so often over the years that I wish I could unremember the 'secret' locations. Sometimes the hoarding powerplayer in me screams out to get them even when I am doing a roleplaying run....
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    AHF said:

VahnXIII said:

Well I started a new game cause I finally got the NPC project mod to work for my game so far I've gotten the ring of wizardry and the ring of protection. Man getting a ring of wizardry makes such a difference for low level spellcasters I wish I had known about it in any of the Probably 12+ times I've played this game.

The ring of wizardry certainly helps! I typically choose sleep as my first spell. Now I get to cast more than once per day haha!
    Sleep is just so very deadly early in the game. Very few opponents are immune to it and the area of effect, significant duration and -2 saving throw modifier make it a powerhouse spell for much of BG1.
    Sleep is deadly for the player too though, you wake up with 10 kobolds sitting next to your mage and all your buffs have worn off...
    wubble said:

AHF said:

VahnXIII said:

Sleep is deadly for the player too though, you wake up with 10 kobolds sitting next to your mage and all your buffs have worn off...
    It doesn't affect the caster so this isn't a real likely scenario!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    AHF said:

wubble said:

VahnXIII said:

It doesn't affect the caster so this isn't a real likely scenario!

Except if you are too cheap and dont want to spend the measly gold coin for an inn
    Got it. Missed the pun on the term "sleep"! (I thought he was referencing getting hit by your own spell ala getting caught in a web or stinking cloud).
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    AHF said:

Got it. Missed the pun on the term "sleep"! (I thought he was referencing getting hit by your own spell ala getting caught in a web or stinking cloud).

Enemy mages in scs mod abuse the sleep spell as well. Thieves and bards shine against them because of their rapid level progression, they escape sleep's hd limit rather quickly. Other than that, it has a very tough save to make (save vs death at -3) clerics can make it but low lvl fighters and especially mages (who suck at save vs death) will just fall victim to it.

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    True but I cannot roleplay that every game. Part of the charm of bg is to not find all the goodies :)
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Well for example, I tend to have a druid or ranger find the Ankheg armor. It seems like something they would intentionally hide or be able to find.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    If you have a druid in your team you can even RP that nature itself spoke to you and revealed the location! Perhaps nature felt that the dug down ankheg plate was sticking into it like a thorn in its side and reaches out to everyone and anyone who can feel its anguish, to help remove it and restore its peace. Oddly enough, there's a canonical druid in your team just waiting for that "nature's call" (and a new set of armor!). ;)
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Before I came across coordinates (let alone EE) the Ankheg armour always used to frustrate me: "I know it's in that field, near the edge, by a bush, but under which of the six million clods of earth?". Now that finding such a game-changing item is so easy thanks to Tab and Quick Loot (i.e. without any effort or skill required whatsoever) it begs the question "Why not just automatically put it in Charname's inventory as soon as he/she reaches Nashkel?". Which in turn makes me wonder if the game is being tailored for the hard of thinking, people who are so lazy they expect to be spoon-fed instant gratification?
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Does anyone remember the massive stack of gems in one of the presses in the Elf Song inn I think. You opened a press and there were 300-600 gems in it. The patch fixed it now.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @drawnacrol Not Elfsong tavern. Three Old Kegs inn in Baldur's Gate North.

There you can find 208 Ziose Gems in a closet. They are still there.
  • MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
    At Dudleyville there are screenshots with approximate locations. With the use of tab it should be easy to find the goodies. http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar2300.htm
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    dunbar said:

Before I came across coordinates (let alone EE) the Ankheg armour always used to frustrate me: "I know it's in that field, near the edge, by a bush, but under which of the six million clods of earth?". Now that finding such a game-changing item is so easy thanks to Tab and Quick Loot (i.e. without any effort or skill required whatsoever) it begs the question "Why not just automatically put it in Charname's inventory as soon as he/she reaches Nashkel?". Which in turn makes me wonder if the game is being tailored for the hard of thinking, people who are so lazy they expect to be spoon-fed instant gratification?

It was easy before as well with coordinates. My belief is that items like that is put there for two reasons:
    1: to help dev's/beta testers etc to rush through the game by becoming OP earlier in order to quicker reach the specific part they want to test. Loads of games has these kind of items, though ankheg armor and ring of wiz may be to "weak" to fall in this category.
    2: to help players on their second/third/gazillioned playthrough do what they wanna do; either power-game or speed-run etc. You dont HAVE to pick it up, you know. You don't have to continuously click on Noober either for the free exp, noone in their right mind would do that w/o knowing the outcome.

Your opinion seem rather narrow-minded and condescending of your fellow peeps. I regularly pick up these items and use the tab-button, and I am neither lazy nor particularly hard of thinking. I am, though, struck by the restartis syndrome and like to start new chars, speeding them up in levels just because I have thought about some new CHARNAME I wanna take for a spin to see how he/she fares. Metagaming aids me in this. I doubt I am alone in this.

• North60North60 Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2015
    This thread had spoiler written all over it but I'm weak in the face of hidden stuff. What could it hurt I thought. A few screen shots never hurt anyone. Besides - Hidden Stuff!

I've since disabled my tab key with a screwdriver after 'finding' a sparkly in a tree and hunting down some buried treasure in a farmers field.

j/k kidding about the screwdriver but I can only imagine 'pixel-hunting' and actually finding something 'godly'. It's going to be hard not playing with a finger on the tab key now - some things you just can't unsee as they say. But for now the -3 AC and little bank roll will hopefully suit my curiosity for at least a first play through.

One suggestion though; From what little I know, the title, if it can be changed, should almost read 'biggest spoiler in the game'. The tab key is powerful mojo *and in the wrong hands will make legends out of mere noobs.

cheers!

I'm 1/2 considering not wearing the ankheg. It was kinda' silly watching three *soldiers hammer on charname away after Imoen got caught with her fingers where they shouldn't have been.
    Post edited by North60 on
  • lastknightleftlastknightleft Member Posts: 12
    thanks all for the links, yeah I never knew about any of these and I've been playing for years.
  • ZoGarthZoGarth Member Posts: 47
    Yeah, I'm also using the randomizer mod in a multiplayer game with my nephew, and is he fuming since he "knew" where things were and would head straight to the location or enemy body and grab it. Its sad not finding the Ring of Wizardry right off, but we will find it sooner or later...I hope. It "helps" make the game fresh and well... random. ((Oo))
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    dunbar said:

*grabs cane and sits up from rocking chair* In my day (Original BG), we didn't have a fancy highlight tab or quickloot option. We found easter eggs the hard way and we liked it!

When I first played BG back in 1999, I remember accidentally finding the Ring of Wizardry in front of the FAI. There was something very enchanting about the whole experience--i.e., other (truly) hidden items are waiting to be found throughout the Sword Coast. I think that sense of mystery has been lost with the highlight tab.

(Dang those young-uns and their need for instant gratification!)