Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights, ugly as sin.

SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
edited February 2015 in Off-Topic
So I've spent hundreds of hours in this game when i was younger, and now for the first time in many years I've installed it again. Now I've started the game, made my character and i'm sitting here with my jaw on the floor. This game is ugly as hell! In my opinion this is the one game that has aged the worst, by far.

I'm normally not one that complains about graphics as I've enjoyed the early gothics and spiderweb games. But i just can't stomach how ugly and square shaped the figures are in this game, it's worse than FF7 in my opinion.

What to do? Any mods out there to enhance the graphic? Anything at all to do?
booinyoureyesSmilingSwordNonnahswriterMichail

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea it looks pretty bad.
    SionIVKamigoroshibooinyoureyesNonnahswriter
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    elminster said:

Yea it looks pretty bad.

It makes the first doom look pretty...
    edited February 2015
    So there is no way to improve the graphics?

I was going to play this to revisit the original campaign and both the expansions, not for any mods out there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    SionIV
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Why does sin have to be ugly...
    I always thought envy, pride and lust looked pretty good

But yeah, the game's graphics aren't great. Cool modules though! Wish I had more time to complete some of them

Really, the sad part was how much worse NWN2 is. Kind of like the IWD series in that way.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited February 2015
    The first NWN feels that it was made more for people to make mods and to be played as multiplayer game than anything else... With only 1 character and 1 henchman, 3E D&D doesn't exactly appeal to that wide of an audience as you need to min-max everything out to not constantly need to find people at the same exact spot as you to play the game...

And the graphics, they're not exactly pretty, but there's much worse out there...

With the editors and DM client, it's more a D&D simulator than a "game"...
    Post edited by Kaltzor on
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    My first thought upon getting NWN was that the 2d IE games were infinitely prettier than this early 3d garbage. It has a certain kind of charm though. In some ways I prefer it to NWN2s more cartoony look.
    SionIV
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I've seen a lot of people complain about the poor graphics. Although I didn't think they were 'great', I just loved playing DnD on a 3D engine at the time. But then I've played Zork in my day so maybe my bar was set pretty low to begin with?
    SionIVProciuttoLuremasterWandering_Minstrel
    edited February 2015
    I've uninstalled the game again, I just can't play it anymore. This is worse than the controls in Gothic and the combat in Arcanum.
    the_spyder
    Try playing the original gold box Pool of Radiance. Don't get me wrong, it was an AWESOME game and I would still play it if I could get it to run on my PC. Just saying, the graphics were significantly worse than NWN.

But really you aren't missing anything if you weren't going to play the community made mods. That was where the game really shined.

Fire up Dragon Age Origins.
    DungeonnoobProciutto

Try playing the original gold box Pool of Radiance. Don't get me wrong, it was an AWESOME game and I would still play it if I could get it to run on my PC. Just saying, the graphics were significantly worse than NWN.

But really you aren't missing anything if you weren't going to play the community made mods. That was where the game really shined.

Don't get me wrong, i don't mind dated graphics (playing Geneforge 1 and Gothic 2 now) It's just something about NwN that i can't stomach. I've played PoR and enjoyed it for what it was.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I don't understand why people dislike the controls and combat in NWN. Especially on this forum. It's certainly much smoother than BG...
    Dungeonnoobbadbromance
    If you are playing Gothic 2 and you don't mind a game with not much NPC interaction, try Dark Souls. I am sure there are people who say "That's not an RPG". It actually is, at least in my book. You build a character that grows in power over time based on your choices. You explore a world that is surprisingly deep if you look hard enough. It can be brutal and unforgiving, but it is loads of fun. And your ability to be successful is not based on DPS, which I personally LOVE.
    SionIVFinneousPJDungeonnoobOlvynChuru
    edited February 2015

If you are playing Gothic 2 and you don't mind a game with not much NPC interaction, try Dark Souls. I am sure there are people who say "That's not an RPG". It actually is, at least in my book. You build a character that grows in power over time based on your choices. You explore a world that is surprisingly deep if you look hard enough. It can be brutal and unforgiving, but it is loads of fun. And your ability to be successful is not based on DPS, which I personally LOVE.

Played it for 400+ hours on steam and love it to death, Dark souls is awesome. I also bought a PS3 just to be able to play Demon Souls.

I actually own Dark souls on steam, PS3 and Xbox360 now. I also got the limited edition art book shipped from Japan for it, can't read anything in it put the pictures are sweet :smiley:
    FinneousPJthe_spyderOlvynChuru
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

DOS stuff can be run fairly easily in my limited experience; I can play CIV1's original game, ie DOS version on a tablet, I use DOSbox. I have a keyboard but no mouse, which suffice to ssy is NOT ideal. Especially as my keyboard has no diagonal buttons, and I don't know all the hot keys. So awkward!
    @BelgarathMTH - that is pretty much word for word my experience. I played the heck out of NWN and NWN2 and the graphics never bothered me. Having been a fan of ZORK and having played any number of games throughout my life time where graphics were never really a focus (Yes, I played and LOVED 'Adventure' on the Atari), I basically learned to deal. And my imagination has sustained me through many an adventure.

I can appreciate that people are and want to be visually oriented though, so I can sympathize with the OP.
    BelgarathMTH
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    SionIV said:

So I've spent hundreds of hours in this game when i was younger, and now for the first time in many years I've installed it again. Now I've started the game, made my character and i'm sitting here with my jaw on the floor. This game is ugly as hell! In my opinion this is the one game that has aged the worst, by far.

I'm normally not one that complains about graphics as I've enjoyed the early gothics and spiderweb games. But i just can't stomach how ugly and square shaped the figures are in this game, it's worse than FF7 in my opinion.

What to do? Any mods out there to enhance the graphic? Anything at all to do?

Go online,try 3towns,it should be a link on Facebook somewhere il see if i can find it.Most of the trolls are gone there and the DM´s were fabulous.(multi classes,skins,Forge weapons,guilds and guild wars,fight gods and dragons)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited February 2015
    Baldur's Gate I & II - She was that social butterfly with good looks, amazing personality and so much banter you couldn't get her to shut up. Now when you see her again 30 years later you can't help but to think, no matter who i meet after her, she'll always be the one. While the personality and banter is just the same, you can't help but to feel just as attracted towards her, and god damn did she age well!

Icewind Dale I & II - She was that awkward anti-social geek that sat the furthest back in the class room. She was gorgeous looking and atmospheric, but unless you had something in common with her, or an interest for what she was into, she wasn't the one for you. Now 30 years later she is just as gorgeous if not even more, but people still have to be a bit obscure to love her, you don't find this problematic at all, and you'll take and bring her amazing atmosphere with you home.

NwN - She was hyper and wouldn't stop talking. Creativity? She had that in spades. She invited me into her room, showed me all her plans, ideas and her room was HUGE. She wasn't the best looking girl around, crooked teeth and a bit on the chubby side. But she was the new kid on the block, and had so much going for her! You couldn't help but to like her flawed self. 30 years later and you're hiding in the bathroom waiting for her to leave. Some people age bad, but this was unreal, she looked hideous compared to what she did back then. You sit here and ponder if it's nostalgia clouding your mind, or if it's because she was the first of many... The first of many horrible 3D RPG's that were killing your obscure yet highly loved and cherished isometric market. You can't help but to shake your head as you sneakily crawl out of the narrow bathroom window as graciously as a 8 Dexterity dwarf : she was unique back then as she was the first, fresh and brand new. With 10 carbon copies that got a better personality, 'gameplay' AND look better than she does, why do this to yourself?
    BelgarathMTHKamigoroshiJuliusBorisovLuremaster
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @SionIV, I guess you have a point there. I still enjoy playing NWN sometimes, and I loved it when it first came out, but I can see what you mean about how it compares to the other games you mention as far as aging. Also, you express your point with a very creative extended metaphor. I get it now. :)
    SionIVDungeonnoob
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    I got the link here,for those who might be interested on Facebook,the group is called three towns-neverwinter and you have to be approved by DM Dacarlo who runs the show,be warned though its a hardcore server.Server is 3ta.wakizashi.com:5121

Aw I feel I'm losing cred for not liking games without good graphics. XD That's totally not what it is: I just prefer the art style of other games than NwN. c:

Now watch some Dandy. ^_^

You aren't losing cred. If anything, I was poking fun at myself for having spent HOURS playing Adventure. I got all of the castles and the chalice and even found the hidden room using the bridge. I Owned that game.

There's nothing wrong with finding NWN graphics to be crap. It was one of the main complaints about the game when it came out. That is why NWN2 got a graphics facelift (not that it too didn't get griped about).

I think we were merely commenting that we've both been there and done that. It's all cool.