Skip to content

Pausing and red text?

SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
What has happened to my game? Every time i pause i see in this bold red text : the date, year and how long time I've been playing? I'm 110% positive i didn't have this before as i can't play with this on. I pause a lot in this game and it's REALLY annoying to see this bold red text every time i pause and unpause.

Please tell me it's possible to remove this?

Comments

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Looks like this is related to us iPad users, who have this only chanche to see the game time.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Pibaro said:

Looks like this is related to us iPad users, who have this only chanche to see the game time.

Which is perfectly fine but it's not supposed to be in my PC game.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Its a change in the recent 1.3 patch.
    elminster said:

Its a change in the recent 1.3 patch.

Is there any way to turn it off?
    Ah well, so much for that, back to some other game then. It's really frustrating that I've got 3 copies of BGEE and they are all unplayable for me. Thank you for answering.
    edited October 2014
    Sion did 8 damage
    RED TEXT
    RED TEXT
    RED TEXT
    Ajantis did 11 damage
    RED TEXT
    RED TEXT

It's EVERYTIME i pause and unpause. And then i have to scroll up to see any combat information. I don't know about you, but i pause a lot in this game. I also play with the small/medium size combat log so it won't take up half the screen.
    Dee said:

Pause messages aren't new; the only thing that changed was that now those messages also show the date.

I have never before been spammed by a big red text that tells me the date and year of Fearun when I've paused, or i would never have played this game to start with.

It's always just had a big red PAUSE and that's it, no message or anything.

Pause
    Unpause
    Pause
    Unpause

Not

Welcome to this wonderful day, it's the 37th of elminster year 1371 of the taurus.
    Welcome to this wonderful day, it's the 37th of elminster year 1371 of the taurus.
    Welcome to this wonderful day, it's the 37h.....
    edited October 2014
    Now please feel free to tell me how pleasing that is to your eye.
    edited October 2014
    Because it's not minor? It's the same when you read a text.

This is a wall of text This is a wall of text This is a wall of text This is a wall of text
    This is my damage This is my damage This is my damage This is my damage
    This is a wall of text This is a wall of text This is a wall of text This is a wall of text

And now let's look at the old one.

Pause
    Pause
    Pause
    Pause

It has absolutely no meaning, wasn't needed and makes it harder for me to read, to the point that i find it frustrating. It's fine to enhance the game, but this was NOT NEEDED for the computer version. At least give us the option to turn it off, please.

And not only that, it's the SAME DAY AND HOUR i see constantly spammed when i'm in a longer fight. I don't need to see this message, or be told what hour and day it is 30+ times in a fight.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Ok ok, I suppose it is a little annoying if you pause alot...
    edited October 2014
    I'm not asking for them to remove it, i would like them to give us an option to disable it.

I've played 1200 hours on BGEE 1 & 2 alone, and probably well over 5 000 hours on the original games. This is the only time I've actually felt like i couldn't play the game out of frustration and annoyance.
  • molloymolloy Member Posts: 105
    Although I can live with that, I can perfectly understand how it can be annoying for someone. People are different: some don't even notice scratching nails on a blackboard, others find it disturbing. So, yes, when introducing things like that, it would be nice, if we were given the option to disable them.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    "Welcome to this wonderful day." At least it's a friendly message.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited October 2014
    I'm rather annoyed by it, even changing the color/font from blocky all caps red to something a bit more neutral would be nice. I pause a lot, and it rally makes the combat log hard to read.
    That said, it doesn't make the game unplayable. that's absurd. The game is running as intended. Everyone else is doing fine. It's playable.
    I do not enjoy playing it with that feature there, it annoy me and it's something i'm constantly looking at. Right now the game makes me irritated more than brings me pleasure, this makes it unplayable to me, because i don't want to play it like this.

It's like reading a story that's a wall of text, when you have that one thing that really annoy you, sometimes you just can't ignore it.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited October 2014
    I too have noticed it but I get used to it quickly and that text completely escapes me now, I never notice it anymore. Human mind is amazing that it can adapt and block off things it thinks as unnecesary or unpleasant. Give it some more time and hopefully that will bother you less and less until you hardly notice, if ever.

Some guys used to have a hack that put all of the modifiers in an attack roll on the battle text, they were like huge paragraphs of listed bonuses. And they were playing like that. Each time an attack roll was made that was this gigantic lines of text that listed all of the situational bonuses in the game and how many of them and how much they affected the roll.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    The extra red text / information is distracting and not really an enhancement. Same with all text now being in capital letters. It sticks out like a sore thumb and wish there was a way to disable it.

I'm not saying the games unplayable, but for me it definitely detracts from the overall experience.
  • owlbearhuggerowlbearhugger Member Posts: 4
    The log is pretty hard to read now, being a solid wall of text. I much prefer the old PAUSE/UNPAUSE, rather than PAUSE-MASSIVE RED WALL OF TEXT!

Can we not just have the option to turn it off? :(
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Considering the pause line is in red, it can't do much to distract you from the combat text, since you already know to scan over everything in red. The fact that the pause line has changed from "PAUSE" to "PAUSE BLAH BLAH BLAH" makes no difference. It still only takes up one line in the dialogue box, which means you don't need to do any more scrolling now than before.

I can't put red text in this post, but I can show the difference by capitalizing the text that should be red.

Without the date:
    PAUSE
    combat text
    PAUSE
    PAUSE
    combat text
    combat text
    combat text
    PAUSE
    combat text
    PAUSE

With the date:
    PAUSE BLAH
    combat text
    PAUSE BLAH
    PAUSE BLAH
    combat text
    combat text
    combat text
    PAUSE BLAH
    combat text
    PAUSE BLAH

And red text should be even easier to distinguish from colorless text than capitalized from lowercase, so the in-game dialog box should be MORE readable than the above example.

Adding the date shouldn't cause any delay in reading the dialog box. If it did, it would look like this:

PAUSE
    BLAH
    combat text
    PAUSE
    BLAH
    PAUSE
    BLAH
    combat text
    combat text
    combat text
    PAUSE
    BLAH
    combat text
    PAUSE
    BLAH

In which case it would inflate the number of lines. Which it does not.
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    Please. A gameplay option for this. Or at least a .ini switch.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @argent77: Brilliant!
    Troodon80 said:

argent77 said:

For Near Infinity, open the String Editor (Ctrl+S or menu Edit->Dialog.tlk) and jump to StrRef 24367 for the info text or StrRef 24355 for the "PAUSED" text. Delete the text content and save. You should make a backup of the dialog.tlk beforehand, just in case. You might have to repeat the procedure in the DialogF.tlk as well for a couple of languages.

Unfortunately, removing the text will still leave a colon appearing in the text log, which looks a bit silly. Aside from that, and I'd caution against removing text that displays dates, erasing the text from 24367 will leave a blank line in the journal—none of the entries will be date stamped... :-(

For Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition, there is an option to remove the superfluous date text when pausing. I found it while looking through the executable, around 0062A994 for Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition and 0062F0F1 for Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. Remember the IRC chats for Infinity Engine games, where people would go trawling through the executables?

Enabled:
    'Game Options', 'Show Date On Pause', '1',
    E.g.
    PAUSED: Day 0, Hour 8 (1 Mirtul, 1369)
    UNPAUSED: Day 0, Hour 8 (1 Mirtul, 1369)

Disabled:
    'Game Options', 'Show Date On Pause', '0',
    E.g.
    PAUSED
    UNPAUSED

It doesn't look like there's an option available for BG:EE.
    Would it be possible to add such an option for BG:EE in the future?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    If its in IWDEE and BG2EE it will likely be included in patch 1.4 for BGEE.