Skip to content

Sword of Balduran

Random question (and one that's probably been answered a few times over) but why does it have different proficiency requirements in 1 vs. 2? I'd have thought when 1 was 2 ised they'd have at least kept the requirements uniformed.
Admittedly the specifications for the sword have also been changed (I suppose to make it actually worth buying in 2). Still the difference in requirements seems odd.

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    edited February 2015
    In the original game, weapon proficiencies were based around groupings. Putting a proficiency point into, I forget what it was called, Large Swords would give 2h Swords, Longswords, Bastard Swords. In the second game (which is more or less the same engine used in BG:EE) proficiencies are for individual weapons. You don't put a point into Large Swords you put them into Longswords or Bastard Swords or what not. I actually end up cheating in points for bastard swords for Khalid or whomever else is using longswords because the loot of the first game was designed around greater proficiency flexibility and there are some very situation specific bastard swords.

I'm not entirely sure what it is you're asking but that's my best stab at it.
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    Thanks @CaptRory for your explanation although I was aware of the different weapon proficiencies in the original BG1 (that is what I was referring to when I said "when 1 was 2 ised"). It is annoying how you need to meta-game in some bastard sword proficiency slots before you even think of visiting werewolf Isle to have a hope of escaping it (although I'm sure there are some players who can escape without the sword)! Especially as there are very few other magical bastard swords to encourage the player to allocate points to become proficient in it.

@scriver that is what I was asking, thanks! So I suppose it's best to RP the answer and say they are different swords but Balduran wasn't the sentimental type to name his sword?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited February 2015
    It is a different sword actually. Try doing a C:CreateItem("sw1h18") in BG2:EE and you will either see what I mean or become even more confused.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I think Balduran would've been pretty confused about how his name got attached to all his stuff. I mean, even his butter knife? Really? There's no way he planned that to happen.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Balduran was one of the biggest names of his era. Long after whatever names he gave his weapons have passed into history someone would still call it "The Sword of Balduran". He probably had several swords. They might not even be his. Someone could've found a big gold sword and slapped his name on it to get another 20%.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    @ Wigglesg For the isle, paralyze the git. Haste yourself, one fighter with the bastard sword and another with the dagger. Even without proficiencies you'll take him down.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    While we're on the subject, there's also a dagger and a longsword that can hurt him, although the longsword isn't on the island. There's also another bastard sword that can do the trick, but that doesn't help the proficiency issue.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Jarrakul said:

While we're on the subject, there's also a dagger and a longsword that can hurt him, although the longsword isn't on the island. There's also another bastard sword that can do the trick, but that doesn't help the proficiency issue.

There is even a bastard sword that was added in EE that can hurt him. It is Albruin, and available as a part of the Dorn questline.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Tresset said:

Jarrakul said:

There is even a bastard sword that was added in EE that can hurt him. It is Albruin, and available as a part of the Dorn questline.
    Yes indeed. Three bastard swords, a longsword and a dagger. This fight alone is a good reason to give someone in the party a proficiency in bastard swords. That factor often colours my plans for character progression right from the start. If it doesn't suit my party for anyone to have bastard swords, then the alternative is to tackle Durlag's Labyrinth before going to the island (in order to fetch the longsword which can hurt Karoug), which would otherwise not strike me as the natural sequence of events.

Albruin is a very good sword by BG1 standards, but what I'd have preferred to see the EE add would have been a blunt weapon which works against Karoug, rather than yet another bastard sword. It'd make sense to me if they'd added the "cold iron" flag to Aule's Staff, for example. That would have increased the range of tactical options open to a player for this fight, which I'd have regarded as a genuine enhancement.

But heck, we've really drifted the topic now!
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I think that shapeshifters being werewolves themselves should be able to hit him.