Skip to content

What color is the dress?

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    elminster said:

Tresset said:

Ok guys. If you enjoy this kind of thing then I highly recommend watching a show called "Brain Games". It should be on the National Geographic channel. Check your local listings as they say...

Its also on the American version of Netflix.
    I watched a few on hulu plus but I don't know if they're still there
    kcwise
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Stop this nonsense. Were you born in a field?
    kcwiseCrevsDaak
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    kcwise said:

There are four lights!

Picard... they're coming to take you away. This is your last chance! How many? How many lights do you see?!!
    abacuskcwiseCrevsDaakSilverstar
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    You're all mad.

It's pink and green.
    kcwiseCrevsDaak[Deleted User]
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I see blue and black even on the left image in the article.
    kcwiseCrevsDaak
  • LuremasterLuremaster Member Posts: 100
    Tresset said:

Ok guys. If you enjoy this kind of thing then I highly recommend watching a show called "Brain Games". It should be on the National Geographic channel. Check your local listings as they say...

That show is so interesting!
    kcwiseBelgarathMTHTresset
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Colour is a funny thing, especially pigment vs light. Light has colour, pigments reflect or absorb it. A pigment's apparent colour is entirely dependent on the lighting, as a given pigment will reflect or absorb based on its own characteristics. The dress is not always shown in full spectrum light, which will affect its apparent colour. Things get more interestingnif you remember humans only see a certain set of light wavelengths, yet others also exist... birds of prey can often see more ultra violet shades than a human can, making hunting rodents much easier... they urinate while walking around, and that urine is extremely visible in the ultraviolet spectrum. Very handy trait I would say. Infrared is at the other end.

Gloss and opalesence really messes with stuff though. Opals are trippy. This is also why black light is so cool, as it changes the apparent colour of pigments.

Anyways, why exactly is this even being discussed? Didn't everyone learn the science of colour in school?? Kids these days...
    CrevsDaak[Deleted User]kcwise
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Tresset said:

At times like these I remember that time when @Dee had poor fashion taste as well...

I think @Dee looks fabulous.

Also I see the 'real' colour which makes a nice change since I'm slightly colour blind and am used to not being able to see stuff which other people can.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovkcwiseNimran
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    To me the 'gold/black' looks gold and the 'white/blue' looks pale blue. So if there had been an option for pale blue and gold then I'd have picked that. As it was the closest was the gold/white option.
    kcwise
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I see gold and blue. I've heard about this on the regional radio station first, talk of a dress with a discussion of how different people see different colours due to the amount of cones on their retina.
    kcwise
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    We can't tell without opening the box with the dress and the radioactive isotope. Once we do that, the wave probability function will collapse, and the dress will be either one or the other color combination. The downside is that there is a 50% probability of killing a cat by doing this. :tongue:
    Son_of_ImoenmeaglothCrevsDaakMoradin
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

We can't tell without opening the box with the dress and the radioactive isotope. Once we do that, the wave probability function will collapse, and the dress will be either one or the other color combination. The downside is that there is a 50% probability of killing a cat by doing this. :tongue:

I don't believe quantum theory is used in dressmaking.
    CrevsDaakMontresor_SP
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    wubble said:

I don't believe quantum theory is used in dressmaking.

It is if you're doing it right.
    SilverstarCrevsDaakMontresor_SPNimran
  • skinnydragonskinnydragon Member Posts: 110
    I see blue and gold. I wonder whether the ones who see this saw the picture first on the forum (I did) and if it isn't a quirk of how this forum displays the image.
    kcwise
  • haniatri72haniatri72 Member Posts: 25
    Scientific answer!
    People who see blue and black think the dress is being bleached by sunlight
    People who see white and gold think it's in the shade.
    It's all very psychological and complicated :)
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovCrevsDaakMontresor_SP
    jackjack said:

What color is distraction? This dress went viral on the same day as the net neutrality decision came down.
    /partypooper

What was the decision in the net neutrality issue? And what country does the decision apply to?
    kcwisejackjackCrevsDaak
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited April 2015
    Back in the 2000s, the court originally ruled against the FCC, making them unable to regulate the Internet as the FCC defined it, leaving it up to the ISPs, who basically do whatever the corporations tell them. But on the same day as this dress thingy, the ruling was rendered moot by the FCC vote to properly classify broadband as a faster version of a dial-up connection to the outside world, which they ARE allowed to regulate. Pretty important. And heartening!

Anyway, the dress is blue :P
    Son_of_ImoenkcwiseJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    edited April 2015

And what country does the decision apply to?

So it's about the US only?

still, if it is, that's good for you and I'm glad for American internet-users (what do you call people in the United States anyway? 'Staters'? The name American would apply for Canadians in the north up to Argentinians in the south).
    jackjack
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

(what do you call people in the United States anyway? 'Staters'? The name American would apply for Canadians in the north up to Argentinians in the south).

Personally I use the term "USAians", though they rarely appreciate it. Seems the most common thing is "Americans", wrong though it is. I always facepalm at "America is the best country" and similar statements because, you know, it's no more a country than Asia, Europe or Africa for instance.
    jackjackmeaglothCrevsDaak
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited April 2015
    @Son_of_Imoen Apologies, I got so wrapped up in recounting the history that I didn't even see that part of the question. I believe it's U.S. only, yes. Although I know many EU countries have already reached similar conclusions. Perhaps others as well? One can only hope.
    @Silverstar I too feel that the term Americans should apply to North, Central, and South America, as America is a continent, not a country. Not sure what to call those of us living in the USA, but personally, I'm a New Yorker, and identify as such whenever I travel abroad.
    Anyhoo, I think I've hijacked this thread enough already :)
    SilverstarCrevsDaak
    edited April 2015

Personally I use the term "USAians", though they rarely appreciate it. Seems the most common thing is "Americans", wrong though it is. I always facepalm at "America is the best country" and similar statements because, you know, it's no more a country than Asia, Europe or Africa for instance.

I just started a topic on the GOG forum about it (I'm DubConqueror there), just minutes before your post, I encountered the term USAian first over there. I like, I think I will use it too.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/what_are_inhabitants_of_the_united_states_called

let's continue the discussion there and not get ourselves distracted from the color of the dress :smiley:
    jackjackSilverstar