Skip to content

What color is the dress?

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
edited February 2015 in Off-Topic
You probably already know what this is. What color is the dress?
http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

1. What color is the dress?58 votes
    1. Blue and black
      29.31%
    2. White and gold
      37.93%
    3. Other
      32.76%

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Blue and Gold... every time I've seen it... still not convinced that this isn't the best Troll of all time!
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    I see gold and blue.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited February 2015
    (facepalm) it's like psychology class all over again. everyone is too wrapped up in their own doctorates and twirly mustaches to admit that hardlining nature or nurture is ridiculous. the colour here is such a hard tint of blue that it doesn't matter what the answer is.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Shandyr said:

Haha, this is funny, I was always certain this would end up as a poll here.

And if @meagloth hadn't set up the poll maybe I would have :D

Anyway, it's clearly blue and black as everyone can see, even @Anduin couldn't possibly deny that

I was surprised there wasn't already one. I'm also surprised how many "others" there are. Basically everyone I've asked has said white and gold or black and blue.
    Coutelier said:

I see gold and blue.

This is entirely new to me.
    abacus said:

Blue and Gold... every time I've seen it... still not convinced that this isn't the best Troll of all time!

Hehe, I doubt it. My chemistry teacher doesn't buy it. She thinks it's trolls with Photoshop. She is... Far from young. I think it's incredibly intriguing. A very interesting insight into how color and sight work.
    If you're interested in color, here's (off topic but amazing) something you might like:
    http://www.radiolab.org/story/211119-colors/

Yes it's a full length radio show. It's worth it. Trust me.
  • LuremasterLuremaster Member Posts: 100
    Arrrgh!!! I have been arguing with people about this all day now! Seriously though, it's blue and black. Come on now . . .
  • CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    Truthfully, I think it's ugly in any color, but it's definitely blue and black.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    How are you people seeing black?! Where be the black?!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    meagloth said:

Here is another(much better) picture of the same dress. It shows the 'correct' black and blue pattern. image
    A
    So here is another good link on the topic:http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/28/business/a-simple-question-about-a-dress-and-the-world-weighs-in.html?_r=0

seriously. People need to learn to use their phone cameras. This is what the terrible photography epidemic has caused. The internet's face melted off. God.
    The one on the left right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited February 2015
    @Shandyr this one is, I think, from a famous psychology experiment. Both the top half and the bottom half are the same color. image
    The dress is interesting in the fact that it is so decisive. In this kind of(it's the same color) illusion, everyone accepts the same image. The dress is strange because everyone sees it differently.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    I guess I've totally missed this I've no idea what is going on
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Ok guys. If you enjoy this kind of thing then I highly recommend watching a show called "Brain Games". It should be on the National Geographic channel. Check your local listings as they say...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    The dress is actually white with golden details, but as a warm light is coming from the other side it looks as if it had a cold, blue shadow on this side. Before anyone starts suspecting I have anything to do with this I say ask someone that knows about photography.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    So I've analyzed both Shandyr's and meagloth's pictures with Photoshop...
    Shandyr said:

There the colors have a slight difference (around 0,0,0 to 3,3,3 of variation in RGB) and they're not solid colors, and the colors on the yellow thingie are freaking different (from -4,-2,1 to -2,0,6 of difference at least) of the ones outside the yellow thingie (and as they're that different comparing them by hand is tedious so I didn't).
    meagloth said:

In this one the colors are the same (101,101,101 and 102,102,102 in RGB).
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Every time I see that dress it changes colour, I thuink it's something to do with the camera flash and the brightness of the screen.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Tresset said:

Ok guys. If you enjoy this kind of thing then I highly recommend watching a show called "Brain Games". It should be on the National Geographic channel. Check your local listings as they say...

Its also on the American version of Netflix.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    elminster said:

Tresset said:

Its also on the American version of Netflix.
    So is everything else, just not much on any other version.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited February 2015
    I saw gold and white with a definite blue shade. When I take a sample of the colors from the image and put them in their own blocks I get these two (one with a white background, one with black):

The blue is more pronounced, but the other shade still appears gold to me. What do you see? Maybe it's because I'm using an old CRT monitor that the shades are different. I checked out the images on my LCD screen laptop and the gold is closer to a gray color to my eye, while the other still looks to be a shade of pale blue.

Edit: Just for fun I walked to the far end of the room and looked back at my laptop screen and now I can see a charcoal and pale blue dress. Up close, its more of a goldish color. Weird. Fun with wavelengths!

Edit 2: Okay, I've obviously been staring at this for too long because now all I see is blue and black. It's like one of those weird 3D paintings that look like static until you see it JUST RIGHT and then boom the image pops out at you.
    Post edited by kcwise on
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    All I see is pus blue and bile green.