Skip to content

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited October 2022 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
TressetNonnahswriterCrevsDaakjackjackJairyanna

Comments

• proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I just picked my DS back up recently. Can't recommend Okamiden enough. It's really similar to some of the 3d Zelda games, but set in medieval Japan. The XP system is based largely around bringing plants and trees back to life and gaining "happiness points". It's a really pretty game (not quite as gorgeous as the PS2 original Okami, but close).
    The Professor Layton games are pretty fun too, if you like puzzles and brain teasers. I've also sunk a stupid amount of time into Puzzle Quest 2, but that game is better on other platforms.
    Gotta go peek at my collection to see what else I liked. I do remember being underwhelmed by the DS Zelda games. They're good, but not great like some of the rest of that series.
    [Deleted User]
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited February 2015
    Can't wait till you get pokemon, but I don't think the gen 3 games are compatible with a 2DS. For those you would need a Game Boy Advance or ordinary DS. Also, just about every Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald cartridge you could get these days would have a dead battery so the clocks wouldn't work on them. Possibly the greatest loss in my gaming history. :cry:

Fortunately the remakes of gen 3 are solid gold and you can get generations 4-6 for your 2DS. I would especially recommend Heart Gold or Soul Silver for you so you can finally defeat Red (which I know you have wanted to do for ages)!
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Tresset

Huh... Pokemon games aren't available on Nintendo's eshop? I... guess they aren't. :c

Huh. That is a good point... Why the heck aren't they available there? Must be compatibility issues they are worried about or something... still would be nice if they were there...
    [Deleted User]
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    How could I forget...Picross 3D is a really addictive picture puzzle game that involves removing blocks from a 3D grid to make a little statue. Sounds lame but it's ridiculously satisfying.
    If you're into music making at all there's a full featured DS version of the Korg MS-10 synth, with patch cables and sequencer...the whole works.

It's not that the Zelda games were bad (I only have the original DS, so haven't tried the 3ds ones) but the structure was pretty terrible. In the Phantom Hourglass, there's a dungeon you have to keep going back to and you have to redo the early levels several times. And it's not a very fun dungeon. The other one with the train was better, but still not up to snuff compared to earlier games. I saw they are remaking Majora's Mask for 3DS. That game freaking rules.
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    procco
    @typo_tilly Kirby games are awesome in general.
    [Deleted User]
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Do yourself a favor and buy Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Now.

Seriously.

Right. NOW!

(Oh, and as far as Zelda games go, "A Link Between Worlds" is good.)
    [Deleted User]
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Chrono Trigger/Cross and Golden Sun I/II would be neat, dunno if they're available for 3ds though
    [Deleted User]NonnahswriterCrevsDaakArdul
    Jalily said:

A few that haven't been mentioned yet:

• Ghost Trick (DS): A puzzle/adventure game with a great supernatural mystery story and fantastic character animations.
    • Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS): Another puzzle/adventure game with lots of plot twists and suspense. Sadly, I can't recommend the sequel because of the unfixed save corruption bug.
    • Bravely Default (3DS): A JRPG with tons of content and an interesting combat system where defending is actually useful. You can also turn off random battles! Ah, the joy of walking around...
    • Pushmo/Crashmo (eShop): Super adorable puzzle games. Great if you love brain teasers and having an irresistible desire to own plushies of all the main characters.
    SethDavis said:

Chrono Trigger/Cross and Golden Sun I/II would be neat, dunno if they're available for 3ds though

Looks like they aren't.
    Though Golden Sun did get a third game released on the original DS...

We don't like to talk about it. >.>;;
    SethDavis
    Super Smash Brothers is fun too.
    [Deleted User]
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited March 2015
    An old favorite of mine is "Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure" for the original DS. It's less of a puzzle game and more of a Megaman 2d platformer kind of game. It's also quite difficult.
    [Deleted User]
    SethDavisNonnahswriterArdul
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    Fire Emblem Awakening might be the only hand-held game I've played almost as long as any Pokémon game. Except Pokémon Yellow but come on, it had Pikachu following you around...
    [Deleted User]SethDavis
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Super Smash Bros

Cave Story
    Ardul
    YupImMadBroSethDavis

! :D There are more DS players here! And I have to keep not calling it a Gameboy. XD

Looks like Chrono Trigger is on the DS after all... but I have it on the SNES already. (YAY~)

So far I've picked up these on discount
    - Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    - Super Mario 3D Land
    - Fire Emblem: Awakening
    - Donkey Kong Country Returns

Barely enough time to play them and can't afford to buy more, but I'm still excited at my little game collection. ^__^

Golden Sun: The Lost Age wasn't very good? :c How about Dark Dawn? (That's the one DS game I can see.)

No no, Lost Age was great. But Dark Dawn... Eh...

It's an "okay" game. I played it, I enjoyed it, but next to the original two, it's just not that good. Also, it ends on another cliffhanger, and they have yet to announce a sequel. So unless you're prepared to throw your DS at the wall after you beat it... >.>;;
    [Deleted User]
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    They actually did a D&D game for the DS a few years back. I can not recommend it, but it least it had to be said.

As for me personally, I can't recommend enough the Metroid games. Metroid Zero mission is hands down one of my all time favorite games for any hand held. It is the best of the Metroid games, offering everything that made Metroid a great 2D side scroller. And it comes with the original game as an unlockable. Metroid Fusion was also a good game, though not as good as Zero Mission.

I also much enjoyed Mario DS and several of the Zelda games. And there is even an Alien Side Scroller game that wasn't bad. Can't remember it's name but it was fun and suitably creepy (for a side scroller).
    [Deleted User]
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I didn't read all previous posts so I am sorry if it was already mentioned, but you simply MUST play Rune Factory 4! It's basically a mix of Harvest Moon and Secret of Mana and imo the best DS game I have played so far. The controls can be annoying at times and the game doesn't take you by the hand (meaning you gonna find yourself looking up a lot of stuff online) but it looks gorgeous, has very interesting characters and can be both very funny and touching. It also is a technically infinitely long game, just as it is the nature of Harvest Moon, which it is a spin off off. The really interesting part is, that the story is unlocked in parts as you get stronger and grow your farm. It is super addictive. Well, if you like games like Harvest Moon that is ;)

Unlike @procco, I can't recommend Okamiden, mostly because it doesn't hold up to Okami. Everything is *literally* on a smaller scale and everything lacks the epicness the first game had. I never brought myself to finish Okamiden, simply because the levels, the story and the characters are so much more uninteresting than in Okami. I think it just didn't work for me because the prequel set the bar so high, so I don't really know :/
    Nonnahswriter[Deleted User]
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @typo_tilly:
    Haha, I do agree, Rune Factory or Harvest Moon in general is not for everyone xD
    The farming is the core part of the game, you can't really skip it, since all parts of the game are connected to each other.

Regarding Okamiden, I can't of course give you a good answer on that, since I played Okami first.
    But I *think* it should be ok if you play Okamiden first. No promises though. I doubt they will ever bring Okami to the PC.
    Aside from that, Okamiden should be available for very cheap by now, since it was a normal DS game, not 3DS.

BTW, I think someone mentioned Chrono Trigger earlier, they did port that one to the DS. I didn't play that version, but I heard it brings a bunch of new quests and stuff. You would have to research that one yourself ;)
    [Deleted User]
    Nonnahswriter

A used copy of Pokemon Gen3-6 costs only $5-10 less than a new copy. Used games used to cost 1/4 to 1/3 of a new version. What happened? o_O Getting 5 to 10 dollars off is basically a sale price of a new copy. Why bother to buy used, then? n.n?

Pokemon games never go down in value. Ever. They're so popular with a variety of people that they're always in demand. Even if you find a used copy, there's still the chance it'll have a poopton of rare and valuable pokemon on it that you can transfer to another file before starting your own game.
    [Deleted User]TressetSethDavis
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812

can you stick to dungeon stuff?

I once asked the same question about Harvest Moon. Apparently the in game option of "I don't want to marry anyone" translated to "I think I'll give up the farm and go back to the city" and the game ended.... Didn't help that I got the version where the PC is female and all the suitors are complete morons....
    [Deleted User]
    Nonnahswriter
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I am not sure how good the port is, but I hear Metal Gear Solid 3 was ported to 3ds. It is for most people (including me) the best game in the series, so if you haven't played it you could give an MGS game a go! Unfortunately if you never had a playstation it is unlikely you played the series before, but luckily the next game is coming to PC!
    [Deleted User]
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    If you are looking for great multiplayer, I can think of a few:

Bomberman Ds
    Clubhouse games
    Goldeneye rogue agent

I can recommend these single player games:
    Castlevania (all of them)
    Radiant historian
    The world ends with youyou
    Advance wars (both of them)

I just busted out the family's ds catalog last week and we played some multiplayer with the kids. I have a big collection and can recommend some more later.
    [Deleted User]
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I don't have a 3ds, but I have to say that majoras mask was my second favorite game in the series behind link to the past.

Also if you are a serious final fantasy player, there was a ds one I played called 4 heroes of light that was a fun little romp.

I liked phantom hourglass even with that silly temple you returned to because it was only a few floors. I never finished spirit tracks.

I'll keep thinking and flip open my case when I get home.
    [Deleted User]