Skip to content

What is a Paladin?

Comments

• FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    @Yannir I know what a dervish is it's why my name is one. They are also entertainers, or in more recent terms refer to magic the gathering, small twisters, as well as prestige class.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Just kill him with the Paladin.

So the Paladin is a weapon normally used to kill people.
    Thank you very much.
  • skinnydragonskinnydragon Member Posts: 110
    I think in many ways the paladin is a weapon. Not only are they taught that any deviation from the rightful path will cause them to fall, they are kept away from any temptation or bad influences no talking with chaotic or evil people, no possessions basically nothing to distract them from their mission or even to let them know there are options. A paladin is there to smite evil and duty is there only reward
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Let's also not forget there is no negative to killing as a paladin so long as he justifies it with they aren't of a good race, or he saw them as harmful/evil.
  • TidusTidus Member Posts: 86
    paladins are tools of (human) goodness...
    this is proven by their INT, since they either have a 3 score or just act accordingly...
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    A god liked a knight so he put a divine ring on it.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    IIRC, Paladins were training to be Fighters, when they got a stick stuck in their butt. :wink:

Joking aside, Paladins were originally an upgrade for Fighters that reached high enough levels and were super good, granting them cleric abilities. Thats in the ancient High Level handbook. It was a less byzantine alternative to a Bard back then, though nothing since has reached that level of weird, so take that as you will. Making it a standard class imho is the wrong choice, its like having a lvl 1 Ninja. Yeah, you COULD make them standard classes from lvl 1, but its a bit weird. In 3.5 Unearthed Arcana made a prestige classes for the Paladin, Ranger, and Bard. Its a really solid idea, though all 3 end up being better casters. Rangers benefit the least, as you couldn't dumpstat Dex to get Two Weapon Fighting for free with low dex, but they cast Druid spells, so its a good trade, and much better RP-wise.

Anyways, a Paladin is supposed to be a paragon of Goodness, Order, Justice and Love (filial you perv!). They sre distinctly LESS tied to the dogmas of their God than a cleric, but most offend neither their patron, nor Code of Conduct. As an easy example, consider a Paladin of Helm or Hoar... neither is likely to fully embrace every tennet of their faith, or they will fall. Still, they can't go against their God in any substantial way.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    edited March 2015
    And so the Blackguard/Anti-paladin from 3.5/Pathfinder I suppose is the opposite? They represent the evil within the hearts of men/elves/dwarves/half-orcs/etc?

I think that any game that introduces a Paladin as a base class should have its opposite as well. This is actually my primary reason to buy the Enhanced Editions though I owned the original is the Blackguard.

Blackguards are super cool, yo. I feel like they should be Chaotic Evil though to represent their actual opposite-ness of the Paladin.

Edit: I'm actually glad that the DM's guide for 5th edition has an evil-type Paladin in it along with Death Domain Clerics.

Now if only they'd properly label Cure spells as necromancy spells. . .

/houserules that Positive and Negative energy use are both Necromancy-type spells.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    edited March 2015
    You guys beat me to it lol oh well heres mine contribution!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeaGJRV-whU
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Vallmyr -
    Vallmyr said:

Blackguards are super cool, yo.

At least until you realise it's pronounced blaggard and just means "rude, impolite person".
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    scriver said:

@Vallmyr -

Vallmyr said:

Blackguards are super cool, yo.

At least until you realise it's pronounced blaggard and just means "rude, impolite person".
    Which would be a bit odd, as English used to be pretty strictly 'sounds exactly like its spelled', mainly because the big rule of spelling in English used to be 'spell it like it sounds'. I read on I think Dictionary.com that blackguard was a slightly demeaning term for cooking staff, presumeably in the army. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/blackguard?s=t

I was pretty close. Note, it mentions 3 correct pronunciations.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @DreadKhan Sorry for off topic, but used to be? When? 500 years ago?
    @FinneousPJ well, slightly more recently, but not much. Shakespear spelled his name many, many ways for example.

It was standars mind you to be internally consistent though, so if you spelled a word one way in a text, you should continue to spell it that way. English is a funny language, as the well to do tended to write in Latin and French, so lack of formality was more tolerated.
    @Dreadkhan - I don't think English has been spelled "the way it's pronounced" since the days of the Anglo-Saxon alphabet of around 1000 ad or so. Not to mention that since time changes how both words and individual letters are pronounced such a rule would be obsolete within a hundred years anyway.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @DreadKhan Thought as much. Finnish is interesting, because our written language as we use today was born as late as the 19th century, so in Finnish, things do sound exactly as they're spelled :) The problem is spoken language evolves faster than written language, so eventually that is likely change.
    scriver said:

@Dreadkhan - I don't think English has been spelled "the way it's pronounced" since the days of the Anglo-Saxon alphabet of around 1000 ad or so. Not to mention that since time changes how both words and individual letters are pronounced such a rule would be obsolete within a hundred years anyway.

Have you read much Middle English? Everything is pronounced pretty much as it is written, ie mouse = moose. Love was definately pronounced as spelled, as it was used in rhyming schemes. If you read Gawain and the Green Knight, or Piers Plowman, the writting is pretty incomprehensible at first, so reading out loud is a tactic used to help students be able to figure the stuff out. Its really wild, or wyld. ;) I did several classes of Middle English at university. You are right some pronunciations are not the same as they were, so a British English speaker with any accent will actually be worse at pronouncing than someone from Canada (especially the prarie provinces) or certain parts of the US, as English in the UK has changed more. *shrug* Linguistics are really interesting.

@FinneousPJ Yeah, that will change over time. Finland is a mighty peculiar bit of history though, very impressive accomplishments for its population.
    If you think mouse and moose should be pronounced anything like the other in any direction, then clearly we have very different groundpoints. If I were to spell mouse as it sounds, I'd spell it "maus".
    I am referring to how Chaucer would pronounce 'mouse'... moose are a New World animal, and hint, the name just might be a bit of a joke, as they are truly massive animals. 'maus' would be a more like German, but I never studied old German, mostly English, so I don't have the foggiest how it might have been pronounced.

For the record, the rule in English is that if there are two vowels together, you make the first vowel 'long', which sounds like the vowels name. Its an old rule. Hence, mouse and moose would sound the same.

Knight = ka-nicht, and is indeed very Germanic. Knife = ka-niff-eh, with the 'eh' being non-emphasized.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I never really thought that cleric/fighters were that similar to paladins mechanically. Paladins don't even get spells until higher levels, and most of their bonuses come through saving throws and special abilities.

Anomen aside, I think they are as distinct from fighter/clerics as monks are from fighters who use their fists.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459

I never really thought that cleric/fighters were that similar to paladins mechanically. Paladins don't even get spells until higher levels, and most of their bonuses come through saving throws and special abilities.

Anomen aside, I think they are as distinct from fighter/clerics as monks are from fighters who use their fists.

That's actually a really good comparison.

Thank you! XD
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Blackhawk: I thought a Paladin was the guy with the big sword and 3 Intelligence.
  • ZalsonZalson Member Posts: 103
    Grum said:

Clerics/fighter: Holy warrior who gains power from his God

Paladin: Holy warrior whose power is not directly tied to any god. A paladin can fall from falling the tenants of a deity, especially a lawful neutral one.

So a paladin can change deities or ignore his chosen deity ("No, Helm. I will not put duty over mercy."). Clerics cannot.

Legit?

Not in the Forgotten Realms. In the Forgotten Realms, divine power comes directly from the patron deity.

Now, you could switch deities and regain your paladin bonuses, but in the case you mentioned, the paladin would lose the ability to cast spells, lay on hands, protect from evil, detect evil, until they atoned/found a new patron (maybe both). Fighting abilities would remain
  • NightRevanNightRevan Member Posts: 81
    I guess I have always thought of paladins as the concept of the chivalric knight ideal of the romances such as Arthur and the Knights of the Road table, the dedication to protect the people, aid and defend the cause of those in need, the poor, injured and the innocent. Those to defend those without power to make sure they have and dealt with justly and aid defend the oppressed and the suffering and so on, dedicating their skill, arms and life to the good of others, not perfect people but knights how set themselves to chivalry, honour and justice, setting mercy over the sword, keeping peace rather than seeking war, trying to discern where the right lay and upholding it to both end, means and conduct and behaviour no matter the opposition or legality or authority against it, and to behave life orientated in a chivalric manner. Often characters facing or being confronted with flaws or failing during a quest and learning to overcome or live with it, gaining wisdom and humility.

Arthur learning what it is to be a good king, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and the test of chivalric honour when under the care of what turned out to be the Green Knight's wife, while overshadowed by keeping a commitment that he was sure would result in his death in order to keep his word of honour and of the Round Table. Of Lancelot, the Fisher King, Perceval, Galahad and the Grail quest in both earlier and later tellings such the Excalibur movie, the Prince Valiant cartoon series for those who remember it from their childhood. Figures with a mystic aura as knights dedicated to the Good, anointed champions equipped to face the most terrible evils and threats and give their lives to save, protect and right injustice. Whose strength comes from virtue, honour, justice and mercy rather then just their steel and allowing them to face down the most inhuman and demonic of evil undaunted. Aragorn becoming King is also this kind of character type (through it mixes with the Ranger though there is continuity between the roles), Faramir and Boromir at the end to).

And it's this adapted to the DnD setting with abilities to suit it, including the limited priest related abilities, those dedicated to path and calling of being the protectors of the people and the champions of those in need particularly when they have none. Whose devotion to to the path of virtue and service and protection (to the chivalric ideal) is the key and strength to their mystic abilities that mark them out from fighter concept or a fighter-cleric which would be a full warrior-priest dedicated to the cause of a god. There are overlaps but also I think quite central differences in the role's idea.

To the extent the role continues on the Arthurian knight idea it is a really interesting and compelling concept and offers a range of character types to play. But I always approach alignment as as a general description of outlook and mindset (or range of mindsets) that like attributes is part of a description of that character rather than an heavy-handed external straight-jacket on dictating actions. A paladin should be a character and not a alignment on legs, the lawful stupid parody. Through it is interesting to play a paladin starting out arrogant and a bit self-righteousness who has to learn humility, wisdom and understanding the hard way, and find the importance of charity, mercy and compassion in the complex and complicated situations they then find themselves in.
    Hint: Paladins are lifted from the Franks. ;) not many have much familiarity with the Matter of France, apparently it wasn't as cinematic.