Skip to content

Gnoll Stronghold...

mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
The Gnoll Stronghold is very interesting place at BG1, And I wonder what is the History of the place, its obviously an ancient fortress and a deserted place captured by Gnolls...

I wish BG1:EE would add a little more information about the place, even better, a way to explore the inside of the fortress, something like trials of the luremaster or durlag's tower.

another dungeon to the game can be in *my* opinion could be a great adittion, espeacially to a mystirious place such as the Gnoll Stronghold.... some more undead and ghosts never killed anybody...
Zymran86SaberstormcarugaelferinsmeagolheartGemHoundBhryaenAliyaunfortunate_oneGlanduinEchonMerlinAceofWandsGroghasson91IchigoRXCThe_New_RomanceKukarachaShapiroKeatsDarkMageVereniusCommunardBalquoDukeOfSuffolkSyntia13artificial_sunlightMoomintrollTwilight_FoxChippynptitimRerelGodKaiserHellAkerhonWardRedGuardHerrderGezeitenArchaonMrennigmaAshendenSikorskyMikeMastersARKdeEREHCactusKasonKirkorSwordsNotWordsthefifthoffiveRhinjavarArchnecromancerLordRumfishjackjackMacHurtoRaistlin82WithinAmnesiaCluaslolienMiridor

Comments

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    The castle was simply found in ruins one day, with its servants simply gone, with no trace of Dinkamus himself... most mysteriously mystifying, wouldn't you say?"

More than a good reason to explore the castle interior!! wouldn't you say?

RerelHexHammer
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    @mch202 :P
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    great idea. Let us go inside the gnoll fortress
    NWN_babaYagamch202ARKdeEREHSwordsNotWords
  • TimbaTimbaleTimbaTimbale Member Posts: 1
    I always wanted some kind of expansion about the GF, with a huge quest inside the fortress and the underworld, and a trip to the Drizzt's youth. (Yeah, i know that is too much)
  • SaberstormSaberstorm Member Posts: 60
    From the lost backlogs of Volo: "The Gnoll Fortress? Ah, I am glad you asked! This once magnificent castle now lies in ruins, a mere shadow of its former glory. Long before it fell into such ruinous disrepair and became home to our hairy hyena friends, the castle was home to the infamous adventurer 'Dinkamus Littlelog', the slayer of Kazgaroth. Local rumors seem to point to Dinkamus becoming rather unhealthily obsessed with protecting an item referred to only as "The Holy Groundhog", and that this very item was the sole reason for building the fortress. When curious travelers and merchants pressed Dinkamus to show them this rare and exotic item, Dinkamus sealed the Groundhog in the deepest vault of his dungeons and swallowed the key. Several years passed with no news... it seemed that Dinkamus had sealed himself in his own castle, choosing to live out the rest of his days in solitude. But... why? Of that, dear friends, I have no idea! The castle was simply found in ruins one day, with its servants simply gone, with no trace of Dinkamus himself... most mysteriously mystifying, wouldn't you say?"

(I actually have no idea if there's any story behind the Gnoll Fortress, I'm mostly bored. Sorry;-)

PERFECT! All we need is some artist to draw a caved in roof in the ground, or trap door, or perhaps a magical stone wall that only opens with moonlight....then we can have a ten level dungeon.
    i agree this is a exccelent idea
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    The Gnoll Stronghold is very interesting place at BG1, And I wonder what is the History of the place, its obviously an ancient fortress and a deserted place captured by Gnolls...

I wish BG1:EE would add a little more information about the place, even better, a way to explore the inside of the fortress, something like trials of the luremaster or durlag's tower.
    That would be so cool. I'd love to see quite a few new locations connected into old maps. There's a thread on this... ah, here it is.
    LordRumfish
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    the entrance could be in the caverns !!!

the one at the left side is located just under the tower
    TimbaTimbaleSwordsNotWordsRaistlin82
    @Seldar That does look like the perfect place to go under the fortress. If I new how to create mods, I'd make it. Maybe have a 10 floor dungeon. A beholder would be super tough boss in BG1, maybe too tough but you get what I mean right: a dungeon with a big bad boss at the bottom just waiting and being evil until you get down there to smack the evil from his face.
    ARKdeEREHSwordsNotWords
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    A beholder is too tough in my opinion for BG1... I'd see more an old spectre like Ulcaster

Add 4 or 5 levels before to reach the highest tower in the middle, this could be an epic adventure. And add a journal/book to explain what is this fortress and to whom it belongs
    mch202Rerel
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    It always seemed a bit of a waste of a location to me. The gnoll stronghold is a beautiful area, but so little happens there it's quite disappointing. I would love to see a bit more added to the stronghold. Not altering the existing content of course, merely annexing an additional area on to it.
    mch202BhryaenRerelARKdeEREH
    edited June 2012
    A beholder is too tough in my opinion for BG1... I'd see more an old spectre like Ulcaster

Add 4 or 5 levels before to reach the highest tower in the middle, this could be an epic adventure. And add a journal/book to explain what is this fortress and to whom it belongs
    Yeah for a Beholder is probably too tough. I just wanted a little something different than the usual suspects such as undead. How about a giant? Giant's are cool. And erm giant sized. I dunno how he would fit in that little door though.

edited June 2012
    Yeah for a Beholder is probably too tough. I just wanted a little something different than the usual suspects such as undead. How about a giant? Giant's are cool. And erm giant sized. I dunno how he would fit in that little door though.

I would go for the Undead... there is not enough appearence of undead in BG1, Ulcaster has only skeletons, as Firewine Bridge...

I think the Undead Animations That IWD introduced are great, such as the barrow wight, Giant skeletons, bladed skeletons and ghosts.. are perfect for the place.. as for the final boss.. let them surprise us.

edited July 2012
    This is SUCH an awesome idea....anyone from beamdog reading this thread? ;)
    @Space_hamster, unfortunatly I seriously doubt they will reply this thread...
    Post edited by mch202 on
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    I would love for them to add a dungeon that took up the entire Gnoll Fortress. It is just a flat out awesome map, just I don't really go there simply because it's only a tribe of Gnolls, a stat book, and Dynaheir.

Bhryaen? Look at this thread please! :D
    Rexfaroensis
    edited June 2012
    @GemHound, try maybe write @Bhryaen and maybe he will show up...

anyway... It would be nice to get a reply from on of the mod's because as I see it many people would be glad to have such an expansion.

even a reply such as "We are not modifing existing areas" or "no", "yes", "maybe", "maybe not" would be great, other way there is no point for this thread or similar threads.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think TrentOster commented on the Beamdog forums about what they can and cannot do in the older areas.

If I'm not mistaken, they are allowed to add new encounters to the old areas, but at the risk of introducing bugs.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @mch202
    lol I feel like a summoned genie... with no wishes to grant...
    ... you get what I mean right: a dungeon with a big bad boss at the bottom just waiting and being evil until you get down there to smack the evil from his face.
    lol Love the sentiment! I'd reckon the best boss would be something from the Volo quote mentioned above by @space_hamster, a story involving a certain "Groundhog" that would uncover what happened to Dinkamus (and all the indoors areas of the stronghold, it seems). But it would have to be slightly different since Volo was known for getting some details wrong- like it's actually a "Bound Balrog," not a "Groundhog..." or whatever. Keep in mind though that Durlag's is already a deep descent to a big boss... so...

@Gemhound
    Why me? My Bhaalspawn Powers are equal to your own... Well, unless you're on an earlier chapter... ;-P No, I listed quite a few areas on the thread that @caruga mentioned above, including the Gnoll Stronghold map which I also like a lot, particularly with all the black blotchy pixelization gone. I'm just as much a fan of this idea in general, and I do see that cavern at the base of the fortress having some nice potential. That cave could also be a good spot for a Secret Door Quest like @HeroicSpur mentioned. But I'm just wishin' on it like everyone else. *longing sigh*

What @Tanthalas says is correct, however: they're somewhat limited in what they can add due to a premium on getting things right the first time (though the entirely new areas also introduce the potential for bugs, as caruga mentioned on the Beamdog forum), so a more limited encounter amidst the gnolls is probably the most feasible both to recommend and for them to implement successfully.
    mch202Sikorskyego1ste
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    As usual, @TrentOster answers in a couple sentences what it takes me several paragraphs to say... lol
    Tyromancer
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    That's just how he rolls.
    BhryaenRerel
    Gnoll Stronghold: Enhanced Edition ;)

Thanks alot for the replys @Bhryaen and @TrentOster!! :)

I really appreciate it .

smeagolheart
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Awesome!
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    I hate writing, so I try to write less @Bhryaen
    ego1ste
  • FornostFornost Member Posts: 42
    Would love to see inside!
    huge support for this