Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    @Zzidolfas86 Just Isra so far, I've heard good things about a number of npc mods which I have yet to try but Isra seems to be universally regarded as one of the best hence why i tried her first. Very good mod which seamlessly fits into the BG world.
    AstroBryGuyJuliusBorisov
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    There is Gavin for BG:EE, too, see here: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26999
    AstroBryGuy
  • Daelyn75Daelyn75 Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2015
    I seem to be having issues with the Music Pack. Much of the music volume is just too loud. It's far and above the regular in game music. Is there a way to adjust the volume? Was it in the installation? If it's not, is there anything that can be done on your end, AstroBryGuy?
    Post edited by Daelyn75 on
    jackjack
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @Daelyn75 - The BG1NPC Music Pack is not handled as "music" by the game; it is handled as "sounds" like the voiceovers or combat sounds. Since the in-game music and sounds are on different volume controls, if you've turned down the music volume, the BG1NPC music will sound louder by comparison.

There's no volume processing in the install routine. For that you'd need to run the files through a program like SoX before install to reduce the volumes.

I'm resistant to doing processing of the files included the distribution. The source files I've inherited are .ogg (I do not have .wav or FLAC master files). So, any processing is of an already lossy-compressed file. :tongue:
    jackjackDaelyn75
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the reply, AstroBryGuy. So do you know if what specific one it's from? The voice or soundeffects? If you don't that's OK, I can find out on my own.

Actually, I think it's from soundeffects, after changing it. I find that odd though. I wish it was tied to the music level.
    It's a limitation of the old BG2 engine. The number of songs in the SONGLIST.2DA file was capped at 100, and most slots were occupied by in-game music (84 of 100 slots). So, as a workaround, the BG1NPC music pack plays music as "sounds".

The limitation is lifted with BGEE, but it will mean recoding both the music pack and bg1npc.
    jackjack
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Need a bit of advice:
    I love the mod, it's amazing, but should I recommend it to a first-timer? I plan to buy BGEE for a friend of mine, and along with selected components from BG2 Tweaks, should he install this? He's never played a game like this, and I don't want the lack of interaction to turn him off.
    edited February 2015
    jobby said:

@dockaboomski Yes, yes you should recommend it to him, easy to install and truly enhances the gameplay/story experience, the best mod out there for BG1 in my honest opinion :)

I completely agree. I waited an entire year before touching BG EE because I was waiting for the mod.

I played the older BG with the NPC1 mod and I couldn't play without it afterwards. I'm about 5-6 hours into a new game of BG EE with it and BGUB and NPC1 Music, and already there's been about a dozen interactions.

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that it was meant for the original BG, not BG EE. So there won't be additional interactions with the new characters put into BG EE.

dockaboomskiAstroBryGuykaguana
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    After a fairly long hiatus, I have finally made good progress on my BG:EE playthrough, and I want to thank you for all the work you (and others) have put into this wonderful mod. I had heard great reviews and recommendations, but having seen more of the content now for myself, it is even better than I expected!

Jaheira's quest in the Cloakwood really added some meat in the long trek to the Cloakwood Mine, and the game feels much more "alive" in general... and yet most of the time I forget it is mod content and not part of the vanilla game because it all fits so seamlessly!

Possible bug report, I'm not sure...

I am still using a previous beta version from last year (I am fairly deep into the playthrough now and I am a little paranoid about updating to the newest version), but aside from the journal, I have not come across any noticeable bugs... almost... maybe?

Sorry if this has been flagged before or if it has already been resolved in the release version, but I encountered what I think might be an NPC Project bug in the Cloakwood Spider Nest. As I understand it, Centeol only tells her story (about Irenicus) if you charm her, but in my game she randomly started telling her tale in the middle of the battle (I was fireballing her, not charming her!), which rather annoyingly cancelled all my characters' actions, including spells in mid-cast.

I almost forgot about it because I won the battle anyway, but I read up on Centeol again and confirmed that she does not normally share her tale at random.

JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
    Heindrich said:

Possible bug report, I'm not sure...

I am still using a previous beta version from last year (I am fairly deep into the playthrough now and I am a little paranoid about updating to the newest version), but aside from the journal, I have not come across any noticeable bugs... almost... maybe?

Sorry if this has been flagged before or if it has already been resolved in the release version, but I encountered what I think might be an NPC Project bug in the Cloakwood Spider Nest. As I understand it, Centeol only tells her story (about Irenicus) if you charm her, but in my game she randomly started telling her tale in the middle of the battle (I was fireballing her, not charming her!), which rather annoyingly cancelled all my characters' actions, including spells in mid-cast.

I almost forgot about it because I won the battle anyway, but I read up on Centeol again and confirmed that she does not normally share her tale at random.

In BG1NPC, she is scripted to tell you her tale during the battle (when her hit points fall to <99% of full). Unless she kept trying to tell the same tale over and over, it's not a bug.
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    Does this mod prevent NPCs from fighting? I have had K&J and M&X for the longest time and they havent gone to blows yet which I find strange, I havent installed the BGTweak that prevents them for doing so nor any other mod that claims to change such things, maybe they need to have a certain number of interjections before they duke it out?
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    I don't think BG1NPC changes that, no. But it's a randomly triggered event, so maybe you are just lucky.
    I could be wrong, but I would think that the fact that BG1NPC adds banter dialogs means that the odds of the XzarFight banter triggering are lessened. So, on average, it should take longer before the fight occurs.
  • iolitefireiolitefire Member Posts: 4
    I adore this mod and how much more flavor it gives BG:EE but I'm having a terrible bug. In my current playthrough, I've been cultivating a romantic relationship with Xan. Things were fun up until fighting Centeol in the Cloakwood Spider Nest. Right after the fight, I kept getting lovey-dovey dialogue from Xan and it wouldn't go away. It kept coming back again and again no matter what option I chose.

I tried reinstalling your mod, uninstalling it completely and installing it, and removing the player initiated dialogue option. I also confirmed the bug was coming from this mod as it went away once I uninstalled it. Do you have any tips? I'd hate to go without it at this point!

Thanks so much!
    edited March 2015
    I'd need more information to track this down. For starters, what is the dialog line that keeps repeating? Unfortunately, "lovey-dovey" isn't much help in going through Xan's romance dialogs. :wink:
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    Oh sure. Basically it starts like this: "Xan, your soulmate, lover, and comrade in arms, walks by your side. His expression is far from serene, but a change for the better is clearly evident."

I then get a lot of options to respond such as *Kiss him*, *Embrace him*, "Xan will you smile for me", etc. No matter what option I choose the same dialog continues to come up.

Thanks for your response!
    I've attached a screen shot of the dialog below for you too.
    Xan's romance PIDs are firing. That often means that there is a variable that is trying to start a dialog, but some condition prevents the dialog from occurring. So, it defaults to the PID.

Can you upload a save game so that I can look at the variable states?
    Certainly. The file is attached for you. Thanks again.
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    - x#kaband.cre has 2 bandit skalps (MISC86). One in gloves slot,
    - bandit group that is with above mentioned cre (spawned in AR2800) are passive until x#kaband.cre starts her dialogue. You can kill other bandits without hiding, one by one as long as x#kaband.cre stay in fog of war. They will look at their companions get killed and still stay blue. I suggest adding AI script that will alarm all of them when they are attacked and turn them hostile.
    @swit - Thanks. I'll take a look when I get a chance.
    edited March 2015
    During Dynheir rescue quest if you have both Minsc and Edwin in party and you choose dialogue option:
    "Enough bickering. I can use both your talents. Leave your private battles for another time."
    responses that follows this statement won't remove vanilla quest journals (27274, 27275 for sure, but I didn't promise anything to Edwin, so not sure if his Journals would stay too). Also XP for this quest is not given (2x800 XP if both Minsc and Dyna are there).
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I noticed that stuff with Edwin and Minsc too, but I hadn't thought it might be related to the mod given the number of broken journal entries in the game anyway.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    If you see any broken entry let it know in this topic: http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/bg:ee-bugs . I really hope patch 1.4 will fix all journal entries related bugs. Sorry for offtopic.
    iolitefire
    edited March 2015
    A very minor thing but I guess I'll mention it: Imoen talks about "Tarnesh's spellbook" when in fact he never mentions his name. Just found it a bit weird that she seems to know his name out of nowhere, unless it's written in the book and shes a super fast reader? :tongue:
    Tarnesh obviously has one of these stamps in his spellbook. :wink:

AedanHudzyThacoBellJuliusBorisov
    A weird thing happened, after I leveled up ajantis the sword&shield bonus granted by his shield became innate to him, I could unequip the shield and he would keep the stars.
    edited March 2015
    items added by BG1NPC Project have "Not Usable By / Only Usable By / Usable By" portion of the description. It should be removed when the mod is installed on BG:EE. Probably the best way to do so is creating a new tra file for each language with just item descriptions and overwrite original ones via LOAD_TRA when GAME_IS ~bgee~.

Probably same is true for BG1UB unless you already fixed it there.
    edited March 2015
    swit said:

items added by BG1NPC Project have "Not Usable By / Only Usable By / Usable By" portion of the description. It should be removed when the mod is installed on BG:EE. Probably the best way to do so is creating a new tra file for each language with just item descriptions and overwrite original ones via LOAD_TRA when GAME_IS ~bgee~.

Probably same is true for BG1UB unless you already fixed it there.

I'll take a look at that when I have some time, but as it seems a mostly cosmetic issue, it'll be low on my priority list.
    Musigny