Skip to content

Pack Rat Syndrome

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
I have developed a new disease; "Pack Rat Syndrome". This is characterized by an inability to use any item that has a one-shot use. I'll save it for an "emergency", and think of an alternate solution to the problem instead. Thank Helm for the gem bag, scroll case and potion case of Holding!

I have 500+ normal arrows, close to 1000 normal sling bullets, several hundred magical arrows of various sorts, 200 or so magical sling bullets, a dozen assorted wands, 54 scrolls, 43 potions (NOT counting the dozens of healing potions and antidotes carried in ready item slots) and some miscellaneous junk.

And that's just what I'm carrying around! In barrels in Beregost I have stashed the books Ulcaster wanted (he never did show up to get them), the Sword of Balduran (which has exactly one use in the game as far as I can see, but ... hey, you never know), the silver dagger (also from Balduran), the +3 chain mail, extra wands of assorted types, extra gauntlets, some items Imoen will want when she gets her thief abilities back, the cloak of the evil archmage (from Baeloth's body) and a few other oddities which may or may not be useful someday.

P.S. Adoy's belt actually does have a use! Needless to say, when the need arose, it was in that barrel. Now that I carry it around with me, the need, of course, will probably never again arise.

I've tried having Cure Disease cast on MyChar, but it seems the affliction runs deeper than such a simple remedy can cure. Help!
GreenWyvernRavenslightTressetkcwiseJuliusBorisovlolienSmilingSwordBelgarathMTHCluasButtercheeseElrandirNonnahswriterMontresor_SPSjerrieCrevsDaak[Deleted User]Nihilus

Comments

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I gather magical items even in my notuseanyitem run.
    kcwiseRavenslightCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Must admit. I used to suffer. I used to suffer a lot.

I had completed BG and I noticed... Just as I was going into the temple... That Imoen was still carrying a wand of missiles, hardly used, from when I first met her, outside of candlekeep anyway, on the lions way...

From that day forth, I made a sacred vow. To drink, blast, fire, launch every consumable I gathered (actually made the whole game a load easier to complete... Plus burning things is fun!

I would sell my rings at one shop. Gems at another. Magic weapons at another still. One storekeep would become a librarian... BUT I WOULD CARRY NO MORE ! ! !

But I understand the road to liberation can be hard... Sometimes I miss that ache caused by an over burdened rucksack...
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovlolien
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Playing the original Icewind Dale, I was going into the Very Definitely Final Battle. And I had barely used anything except healing potions the entire game and I was sparing with them. Mid-Battle I was thinking about using a wand and said to myself "No, I might need it later." Then I stopped and thought about what I had just thought. I knew this was the final battle. I knew this stuff wouldn't be good, there wasn't importing it into another game. I realized at that point I had a serious problem and it is something I've been actively struggling with since then, but at least I'm not a hoarder and every pass through BG I horde a little less.
    woowoovoodookcwiseJuliusBorisovlolien
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    I'm almost cured. I only keep healing potions, and ammunitions, and a few other exceptions. I sell or i don't take any object i know i will not use.
    "Oh Jaheira, what a nice invisibility potion you have. It will help buying you a plate mail."
    "a wand of paralyzation? Better let it in this chest, I will not encumbered myself with it."
    wubblekcwiseJuliusBorisovlolien
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I don't thik I ever used that arrow even *once*.
    And I did over a dozen playthroughs :I
    CaptRorykcwiseJuliusBorisovlolien