Skip to content

The single most frustrating, un-fun quest in the game

Even more frustrating than herding cats for the wild mages - at least that quest is optional.
I am talking about retrieving the horn for Saemon Haevarian to leave the Spellhold island. Why so frustrating? Because of the time-constraint. It MUST be done at night, and there is nothing else left to occupy the day by the time you get there. While I can justify my party taking an 8 hour rest to recharge having just emerged from the trials of Spellhold, I don't want to immediately give them another whole 8 hours (double-rest always rankles at my roleplay - these are men (and women) of action!) but there is no way to rest until a given time, or for less than 8 hours, or any fast-time mode. I just sit, outside the door, waiting....

... and waiting ...

... and waiting in real time.

In retrospect, I guess this quest is optional too if I want to skip straight to the under dark, missing the Sahuagin city, the riches and xp it contains, and "Saemon's" silver sword.

Quite frankly, I would rather bludgeon directly into Desharik's mansion and claim the horn by force, which is probably viable for a party leaving Spellhold (Desharik seems woefully understatted to me for that part of the game, given the power he is supposed to exert).

Of course, next time I will know better. The right response is to leave the game running and hit up the forums for the next 20 minutes or so!

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    If you enable debug mode, you can turn the clock forward by hour-intervals. Saves you time.

But honestly, I think that waiting for the right time is not at odds with an adventurer's life. Patience is a virtue, and everything. Though I suppose I'd have to agree that a chaotic evil party might perhaps be happier just starting a little massacre at a time of THEIR convenience...
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    If you ask me, I would say that you are taking the RP element far to seriously...
  • reap_iireap_ii Member Posts: 43
    Tresset said:

If you ask me, I would say that you are taking the RP element far to seriously...

Hah! I have heard stories of people killing themselves when their pnp character died. ;)
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I quite like the fact that there is a sneak-based mini quest (as opposed to a face-to-face power fight) at the end of a rather gruelling dungeon. Although I would prefer it if it were more challenging for the thief technically and the party tactically, with failure and discovery meaning that the party would have to flee back to Spellhold and "escape" through the Underdark (it would also make RP sense for the party to test out the newly-rescued Imoen's skills).
  • BejogoBejogo Member Posts: 38
    I actually played this very quest this morning. Sorcerer and Company camped outside Brynnlaw for the day whilst Jaheira, understandably miffed that Khalid's murderer had escaped justice a second time, flexed her club-arm on some unfortunate shadows.

When night finally fell, Jan made his way to Cayia's home on his own, under the cover of an invisibility spell. He was barely a few steps in when she called the guards; experienced adultresses, it transpires, have supranatural hearing, so the loquacious little gnome had to deal with three burly pirate sentries on his own. This he did quite handily with a Chaos spell, a handful of Melf's Minute Meteors and a couple of well-placed bolts of biting. Not a sweat broken, he donned his boots of speed dashed back to the group, horn in hand, whilst The Riverboat Song by Ocean Colour Scene played in my head :lol:

It was a blast; a totally unplanned adventure that, like so many such occurrences, reminded me why I so adore this game.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    You're barging into the home of the Pirate Lord's wife when she's in bed with another man. What about that isn't fun?

If only you could arrive a little bit earlier...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Well, if you think that you need to wait till a man and a woman meet and finally go to bed, you can't do more than

just sit, outside the door, waiting....

... and waiting ...

... and waiting in real time.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Wasn't the whole idea behind it that you don't want the entire town up in arms against you? You've just survived a bizarre mental asylum and a run-in with Irenicus, possibly with a mind-twisted Imoen in tow and a shaking Slayer experience. Do you really need to plow through a horde of angry pirates now? What if they blockade the harbor? Set fire to your ship? Tons of ways to ruin your day, just because you couldn't sit down and wait for one night while you're probably already exhausted anyway.