Skip to content

What would you like in IWDEE and PTEE?

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
IWDEE:An actual plot and more quests.

Planescape Torment Ehnanced:I can't think about any improvements for this game.

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    ...Don't ever say something doesn't have a "plot" if you would like to be taken seriously, please. A plot is a sequence of events, which Icewind Dale clearly has. If it didn't have a plot, you wouldn't even travel to different locations, you'd just be teleported around at random intervals fighting infinitely spawning monsters. Either that, or you'd just be looking at a black screen for a few hours, followed by the credits rolling eventually.

That ugliness aside, on to the topic.

IWD:EE should be overhauled to use the BG:EE engine. Half-orcs, kits (Blackguard included), Weapon Style proficiencies, etc.

I never actually played Torment, but I understand you can't join the Doomguards in that game. This must be rectified!
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    IWD:EE - Better descriptions of how equipment really effects your characters. I've never played 2nd edition D&D, so many of the rules are still obscure to me to this day.

Planescape - Make it less ugly. I don't know, the game has always looked hideous to me. The sprites are gigantic, the animations are weird. Dunno, never got into it.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    edited August 2012
    If you can't think of any improvements for PS:T, you have a bad imagination.

In a nutshell:
    - PS:T excels in writing/plot/NPC's
    - IWD excels in combat/graphics
    - BG offers a well-rounded experience of combat/graphics/writing

I will always think of the BG series as the superior game, because it offers a well-rounded experience. I'd rather play a game with a lot of variation than a 99% combat game or a 99% textbook "game".
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed both the IWD series and PS:T, but both of those games are severely lacking in certain areas.

PS:T
    * More combat. The current experience is: read, read, read, read, boss-fight, read, read, read, read, boss-fight, the end.
    * More items. IIRC there wasn't even a single armor in the game that you could equip.
    * More curiosity items. Come on, that shop was the best shop ever. It's pretty much the only money-sink in the game anyway.
    * Add missing factions
    * Add a cleric class?

IWD
    * More subquests
    * More NPC-interactions
    * More non-party interactions
    * Better integration of the plot into the game. Currently, there's a lot of combat going on, and every now and then there's a wall of text with plot to advance the story.
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86

IWD:EE should be overhauled to use the BG:EE engine. Half-orcs, kits (Blackguard included), Weapon Style proficiencies, etc.

^This.

---

For Torment they should work on the UI and combat, these aspects of the game are so clumsy compared to BG.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

PS:T
    * More combat. The current experience is: read, read, read, read, boss-fight, read, read, read, read, boss-fight, the end.

Wow, I completely disagree with this. :) PST stands out among RPGs precisely because it's so willing to break from conventions - the potential to talk your way out of almost every combat situation being a perfect example.

* More items. IIRC there wasn't even a single armor in the game that you could equip.

Technically, that was the point of the Nameless One's tattoos...

* Add a cleric class?

Problematic in the context of the story - who'd be willing to function as your patron deity?

IWD
    * More subquests
    * More NPC-interactions
    * More non-party interactions
    * Better integration of the plot into the game. Currently, there's a lot of combat going on, and every now and then there's a wall of text with plot to advance the story.

This, on the other hand, I agree with wholeheartedly. I like IWD, but the fact that you don't feel any attachment to the characters (because they're tabula rasa ciphers) has always been a stumbling block to really getting into the game.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Planescape:Torment
    * Add more NPC's, such as an Bariaur Fighter/Priest or any kind of Genasi would be awesome.
    * More joinable factions, faction quests and especially more Xaosect dialogue lines for the Nameless One.
    * The long overdue Fall-From-Grace romance. Failing that, a Nordom romance!
    * Playable Priest class for the Nameless One.
    * New UI, AI's and painted portraits would be awesome but not required as well.
    * And most important of all; more books, dialogues and other kinds to read!
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    In PT:EE I would want some choice in what the Nameless One looks like. Does he have to be a butt-ugly lump? Couldn't the Nameless One be female? (I know it would clash with the cut scenes and the box art but I could live with that)
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    But IWD has a plot and an excellent plot at that, albeit without many choices. An old score between two enemies is already enough of a plot in IWD for me personally :)
  • WoldanWoldan Member Posts: 41
    * The option to either create your party like in the original OR or to choose fully voiced unique characters with a back story and personality
    * More everything. More items, monsters, spells, NPC's etc.
    * A big city hub (While Kuldahar was a great hub, it didn't really cut it.)
    * More exploration, areas that aren't really story relevant and provide tons of side-quests.
    * More NPC interaction and more voiced NPC's.
    * Heart of winter should be integrated into the IWD main story
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    IWD with BGEE engine and I'm sold.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292

Does he have to be a butt-ugly lump?

I don't know how pretty you'd look if you woke up in a morgue after being stitched up.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Planescape Torment EE:
    - re-worked UI
    - integrated Qwinn's modifications\fixes (Fixpack, Unfinished Business, Tweaks).
    - Android / iPad / Linux support.
    - improved animations and videos (for high-level spells, etc).
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    From Icewind Dale? A real size Barrel of Holy Water!
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Jolanthus said:

Does he have to be a butt-ugly lump?

I don't know how pretty you'd look if you woke up in a morgue after being stitched up.
    Not good. But I'd still be a lot prettier than the Nameless One.

• recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    @Woldan has pretty much named everything. I don't necessarily agree with adding joinable NPCs. They wouldn't have the time to do this justice as the original creators did. Besides, you're supposed to create your party in IWD. It was meant to be more of a dungeon-crawling game than BG. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't have more sidequests/additional areas to add variety.
    More portraits - I assume this is a given. But even so, I'd like them!
    All of the BG:EE kits, as @Schneidend has suggested. Subraces would be applicable in IWD, I suppose, seeing as everybody else wants them! :)
    And finally, change the loot. It doesn't need to be drastically different, but give it something more memorable. There were almost no named weapons in IWD. It was just +1 Poisoned Morning Star or +2 Mace of Phasing. BORING!! :(
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    How about more updates for Nameless One journal?
  • bikertiaxbikertiax Member Posts: 8
    What anton said, at least.

At most (for me): FFG romance, expanded Annah romance/friendship with possibility of joining Indeps
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    When I read carefully, it appears that the intent regarding PlaneScape is to develop a follow-on EE version, not a rework of the original. That would make me sad. Modernizing the interface to closer to BG2 standards would make the game a lot more playable for me. Or, really, playable at all. I can't get it to install and, even if I could, I think the interface would keep me from going far (like it did every other time).
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    I`d like an EE of both, I don`t remember what i thought needed fixing in IWD but PS:T needs a reworked UI like i need a lock on my beer room. Radial menus ruin everything. I know i mention them a lot but i just hate them so much!
  • neokarnyneokarny Member Posts: 39
    For PS:T I'd love to have a reworked UI. That's probably my number one for that game.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    My wishlist:

IWD EE
    Full migration to BGEE engine
    Joinable NPCs
    NPC related quests
    Party banter

Planescape EE
    Bug corrections, I love Planescape, but it's a bug festival.
    Better UI.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Meh, I think with joinable NPCs we start to run outside IWD's "mission statement." It's a tactical hack-and-slash, first and foremost. I don't want NPCs in IWD for the same reason I don't make a custom party in BG.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308

Meh, I think with joinable NPCs we start to run outside IWD's "mission statement." It's a tactical hack-and-slash, first and foremost. I don't want NPCs in IWD for the same reason I don't make a custom party in BG.

Agreed.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I just find the game a little boring with all the NPCs quiet :)

I like it, but finished it only once for this reason.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    IWD- great setting. great visuals great realization. love the idea of snowy north and a bit mystical aspect of ice, cold and winter, made the game feel monumental in some weird way, music was awesome. but i dont care that much for it. if EE for it comes, maybe i'll buy it. i simply feel too detached from my party (game even gives you an option to change party anytime), and linearity gets me at one point. with those two elements combined i eventually feel like playing a hack'n'slash. i understand some people appreciate adventure without having to drag 5 other nutcases with them, but that is not my cup of tea. it has some charming sub-quests though.

PT- BETTER GRAPHIC-> backgrounds and character models (improved, more detailed etc.). i'm not talking about remodeling, the artwork is fine, but in my opinion it is screaming for an upgrade.
    better combat-> improved and more varied options of classes and leveling. make other options (as opposed to mage) attractive and worthy. make more options to use other stats, beside wis, int and maybe cha. more creatures, combat challenge etc.
    maybe more options in terms of factions, a few extra quests revealing more of the lore, et. those are more icing on a cake.

i can't emphasize enough how much i hope for PT:EE

and please, ffs, put something into mosaic crypt, please? the suspense of description is killing me!
    trinit said:

I simply feel too detached from my party (game even gives you an option to change party anytime)

Imagination is your greatest asset here. As for changing Party Members anytime, how is that different from changing NPC's in Baldurs Gate?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Jolanthus: I think it's different in that your decision to switch NPCs in "Baldur's Gate" has more to do with their personalities than their stats, because you don't know their strengths and weaknesses until after they join you.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @Jolanthus i consider myself fairly imaginative, but unfortunately that fails me in iwd (i'm not imaginative in literal kind of way).

i have no problem identifying with one avatar, but i simply don't have stamina to roleplay party banters and reactions to every event in my head. and you can have evil, good and neutral in party, but that never leads to anything, they never react among each other etc. so by inertia, i start to treat them as one unified entity consisting of various disposable tools.

as for changing party members, i don't see how it's not different. in iwd you are changing party memebers you created for anything other you fancy/create-even if to just roll 2 points better strength. i had no qualms changing some of the party at the start of heart of winter because some premade characters had better loot. no consequence, no limits.
    in bg you change pre-existing npcs with formed personalities, that have their own choices (alignment, class, proficiencies, quest etc.) you have to accept. those npcs actively react to the events and world even in the ways you might not like, or that will endear them to you. i would even argue npc's are the biggest strength of bg series.
    @trinit Fair Enough. My characters are all fleshed out from writing and other roleplays, I just know how they'd react and know their banter.