Skip to content

Your favorite video game antagonist

SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
edited April 2015 in Off-Topic
We all have a villain we love to hate or hate to love, just wondering who yours was.
I'm only adding the main antagonist in each game I can think of, so characters like Bhodi "who is admittedly better than most other antagonists" won't be part of this poll.
  1. Your favorite video game antagonist29 votes
    1. Sarevok Anchev: Baldur's Gate
      17.24%
    2. Jon Irenicus: Baldur's Gate 2 Shadows of Amn
      41.38%
    3. Ganondorf: The legend of Zelda
        3.45%
    4. Diablo: Diablo
        3.45%
    5. John Henry Eden: Fallout 3
        3.45%
    6. Belhifet: Icewind Dale
        0.00%
    7. Alduin: Skyrim
        0.00%
    8. Sephiroth: Final Fantasy VII
        6.90%
    9. GLaDOS: Portal
        0.00%
    10. Other/None
      24.14%
JuliusBorisovMontresor_SPbooinyoureyesCrevsDaakTeflon

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    So yeah there thousands and thousands of antagonists in video game and these are the ones off the top of my head.
    Honorable mention to some that I couldn't find space for, Bowser, Gary "douchebag" Oak, Shao Khan, Kain, Zeus, Ares, the Joker and about million others I couldn't think of.
    MortiannaYupImMadBroTeflon
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Stand.
    CrevsDaakTeflon
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Ahhh, the child of Bhaal has awoken. It is time for more...'experiments'... The pain will only be passing; you should survive the process...

I have probably heard this bit of dialogue a hundred times and I'm not gonna lie I've never once gotten sick of it.
    Irenicus is a villain i love to hate and one who really never gets old, I must admit, I have developed the terrible habit of saying all his lines along with him.
    wubblebooinyoureyesCrevsDaakTeflon
  • AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
    CATS from "Zero Wing" (1989)
    Fiendish_WarriorjackjackTeflon
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Hey, what about Nexlit? Or Uncle Lester? :smiley:

Seriously though, Irenicus takes the price for me, though both Sarevok and The Transcendent One are close behind.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Link to the past is probably my favorite game ever. Haven't played a Zelda game in a while, but I love how scared of ganon I was as a child in the original 2 games.
    booinyoureyes
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]jackjack
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited April 2015
    Officer Tenpenny from GTASA. Portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson, no less.

See ya 'round, like a doughnut, Carl!
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    Adso said:

CATS from "Zero Wing" (1989)

All your base are now belong to us!
    AdsoTeflon
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    edited April 2015
    For me, it's probably Garland from FFI. For being one of the first complex top-down RPGs, what a plot twist. I hope everyone has played it, but out of courtesy...
    who would've thought that the first and easiest boss of the game would turn out to be the catalyst for the final boss, Chaos? That was an epic plot twist.

A close one is also Golbez from FFIV. He thwarted me at every turn and I truly grew to hate him.

Similarly, Thanatos from SoM had an incredible story as well.
    Post edited by Fiendish_Warrior on
    FinneousPJCoryNewb
  • Saigon1983Saigon1983 Member Posts: 157
    OneWinged Angel Sephiroth no doubts for me
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    booinyoureyes
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Honorable mention goes to Kefka from Final Fantasy VI
    But seriously, of all the villains who stuck in my memory, Jon Irenicus stands out as #1.
    booinyoureyesFinneousPJSmilingSwordJuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I really tend to like Final Fantasy villains. I feel like FF8 could be the one that induced the most controversial theorycrafting, namely the
    Rinoa is Ultimecia theory.
    I'm going to pick FF8.
    Fiendish_Warrior

I really tend to like Final Fantasy villains. I feel like FF8 could be the one that induced the most controversial theorycrafting, namely the

Rinoa is Ultimecia theory.
    I'm going to pick FF8.
    Yeah, second after Sephiroth
    FinneousPJ
    The 90th of Square was pretty... no... awesome good. Unbelievable good. And almost for present time I don't know any of stories that are such... deep in mind, I think. Yes, the best game for me is BG or IWD, and the best realm is FR, but Square stories are something, that settles in my mind. There is 95% of best for me in BG, but 5% is for Squaresoft (not for Squareenix) forever...
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited April 2015
    assuming we aren't talking main villain only im going to have to say

psycho mantis

SethDavis
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Non-Baldur's Gate antagonists:

- Loghain, Corypheus - Dragon Age
    - (Liquid) Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid
    - N - Pokemon Black/White
    - Hazama - Blazblue
    - Bowser - Mario

Can't pick a favorite because they can't really be compared to each other.
    booinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited April 2015
    It's Irenicus for me as well....though I give an honorable mention to LeChuck from the Monkey Island series. And I saw an inspired choice on one list I read....Dysentery, from the Oregon Trail.
    iKrivetko said:

Officer Tenpenny from GTASA. Portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson, no less.

See ya 'round, like a doughnut, Carl!

There really wasn't anyone you could trust in that game OR Vice City come to think of it.

wubbleFiendish_Warrior

For me, it's probably Garland from FFI. For being one of the first complex top-down RPGs, what a plot twist. I hope everyone has played it, but out of courtesy...

who would've thought that the first and easiest boss of the game would turn out to be the catalyst for the final boss, Chaos? That was an epic plot twist.

A close one is also Golbez from FFIV. He thwarted me at every turn and I truly grew to hate him.

Similarly, Thanatos from SoM had an incredible story as well.
    Golbez was great, and FF4 is my favorite in the series.

I also like Dracula in the early Castlevania games :)
    Fiendish_Warrior

Non-Baldur's Gate antagonists:

- Loghain, Corypheus - Dragon Age
    - (Liquid) Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid
    - N - Pokemon Black/White
    - Hazama - Blazblue
    - Bowser - Mario

Can't pick a favorite because they can't really be compared to each other.

Oh man, The Boss in MGS3 is also a personal favorite...so many great choices! :smiley:
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I was inclined to choose Sephiroth from FF7, but Jon is just unforgettable...
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Witsuarunemitea: Utawarerumono

Closely followed by
    The Transcendent One: Planescape: Torment

Montresor_SPJuliusBorisov
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Z Tetrimino
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    Out of the ones listed, Sarevok would be my favourite, he's been that since I saw the intro from Baldur's Gate for the first time. That voice and armor, not knowing anything about him untill later chapters and how his plan slowly unfolds. I like that theme of Highlander-esque "There can be only one" in the final stages of the game.

Some other antagonists that I really like:
    - The Transcendent One from Planescape: Torment. At first I had no idea who he was when he showed up in the middle of the story, but I must admit that he is an amazing antagonist and the final dialogue is just amazing.
    - Master from Fallout. One of the reasons, why the first Fallout will always be my favourite in the series. I was so curious to meet him, after learning more and more about him. Wow, just wow.
    - The Warlord from Anvil of Dawn. The one who brought the horrors to that world, he has that aura of invincibility and finally shows up at the final moment. Remids me of Darth Vader in some way.

I enjoy the antagonists that are mysterious, hearing some scraps of information about them and only to meet them later. As opposed to the obvious sign on the forehead "I'm the villain! Muahaha!".
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    I heard his voice too much so I became addicted.
    and surprised later found out teh voice actor was malcolm mcdowell, clockwork orange dude.
    I hope someday john henry eden sings singing in the rain ;)
    SmilingSwordMontresor_SPjackjack
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Sorry, I cannot vote this pool. Mainly because I can't really pick my favourite antagonist in videogames, I would have serious problems deciding which one I like the most. As a result, here's the list of my most liked antagonists.

- Jon Irenicus. No need to introduce the guy, I believe.

- The Master (Fallout 1). The entire concept, story behind him, creepiness and complete dedication towards his goal. Also, the fact that you have multiple ways to deal with this guy.

- Malthael (Diablo 3: RoS). Everything about him is badass. Appearance? Check. Voice? Check. Introduction? Check. Personality? Check. Boss battle? Check. Music during said boss battle? Check. The best villain in Diablo series, period.

These are guys I like the most. Of course, there are others good antagonists, but I've decided to state only the very bests. Also, I'm aware that there are many games I haven't played at all yet, so I guess that's that. Some characters that are highly regarded reason I am unable to understand were missed here as well. Bowser, for example.
    JuliusBorisov
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    It's Sarevok of this bunch for me. Much as I like Irenicus, he was just a bitter old man with nothing but revenge on his mind. Sarevok got dealt the worst hand he could in terms of both of his fathers, and almost spun it into godhood (at least if you ignore the events of ToB which make it look like his actions were meaningless :/). You almost had to admire the guy.

Also, Kefka from FF6.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov