Skip to content

first no reload attempt

So I generally solo but also decided to run a no reload attempt.

First game (charname is blade), killed by random encounter with 6 or more bandits using short bows on transition to fai.

Second attempt, blade again, exact same thing happens... Couldn't even escape screen in time.

What gives? At least I can run away from wolves... 8 hp is like 2 arrows...

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Bah, that's nothing, my first (and only) try I was killed by shank. damn scs!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @jesterdesu: I'm not very familiar with BG1, but as a no-reloader myself, most no-reload runs end long before the player completes the game. And generally, the early game in BG1 is the most dangerous, given the luck factor. It's normal for a no-reload run to end because of arrows. You can't really prevent it that early in the game. That's just bad luck.

I believe there's a way to avoid triggering that random encounter (I've heard you can even get ambushed by basilisks!), but I don't know how. Somebody else might know. @Blackraven, do you have any ideas?
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    As far as I know, ambushes depend of the time of the day and the area transition. For example I think you can't be ambushed if you go to Beregost by passing through High Hedges.

I think @Tresset may have a better explanation for this.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    It's best to go first to Beregost for some easy XP if you have a particularly vulnerable character, preferably in the way Gotural mentioned (via High Hedge). Another option is to go to High Hedge, stay close to the area border, and head west, to the North Coast area, where Shoal can be taken down with ranged weaponry for 5000 XP.

THe bandit ambushes only occur in the northern areas, around the FAI. Other area transitions trigger other types of encounters, usually less dangerous (except one with an Ogre Mage that can cast Charm Person to end your game).
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373

It's best to go first to Beregost for some easy XP if you have a particularly vulnerable character, preferably in the way Gotural mentioned (via High Hedge). Another option is to go to High Hedge, stay close to the area border, and head west, to the North Coast area, where Shoal can be taken down with ranged weaponry for 5000 XP.

THe bandit ambushes only occur in the northern areas, around the FAI. Other area transitions trigger other types of encounters, usually less dangerous (except one with an Ogre Mage that can cast Charm Person to end your game).

That Shoal tip is decent indeed. I wonder if early Basilisks is possible (with the Ghoul to tank), at 7 and 4k a piece or whatever it is...