Skip to content

Coolest original starting Pokemon?

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
edited April 2015 in Off-Topic
Lots of Pokemon fans here (well, I mean, everywhere) so who did you guys like starting with the most?

(Original game only. Sorry guys)

Feel free to add your favorite all-around original Pokemon to the comments as well!

I liked Diglet-Dugtrio personally
  1. Coolest original starting Pokemon?34 votes
    1. Squirtle
      29.41%
    2. Charmander
      23.53%
    3. Bulbasaur
      32.35%
    4. Didn't the original
        2.94%
    5. Pika Pika! (Yellow version)
      11.76%
SmilingSwordJuliusBorisovAedan[Deleted User]CoryNewbCrevsDaak

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Easy choice for me. He was the cutest one and still useful as hell.

elminster[Deleted User]Nimran
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    I like my lizard/toad tentacle monster.

My overall favorite pokemon is Arbok, followed closely by Ninetails.
    booinyoureyes[Deleted User]Nonnahswritersarevok57
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Bulbasaur was the easiest to pick, Squirtle was quite balanced and later with TMs, pretty versatile. But I always had soft spot for Charmander, because I used to like lizards very much. Also, he was the most challenging starter to pick gym-leader wise.
    booinyoureyes
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Beedrill was my favourite through.
    Aedanbooinyoureyes
  • GreenWyvernGreenWyvern Member Posts: 247
    Where's the "indecisive" option?
    O_Bruce said:

I always had soft spot for Charmander, because I used to like lizards very much.

Charmander is not a-... wait...

*Checks Google*

... oh, he is lizard of sorts. Huh. As much as I love reptiles of all kinds, Charmander's head has always screamed "ugly" to me. It's evolutions are fine, but I just can't shake how much it irks me...
    booinyoureyes
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Squirtle!
    booinyoureyes
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited April 2015
    I played Pokémon Yellow, so I had to choose Pikachu. However...
    deltago said:

Beedrill was my favourite through.

This. I loved Beedrill. In the cartoon they always pictured him (or it?) like a bloodthirsty ape, while I always thought "He is SO CUTE!" :smiley:
    booinyoureyes
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790

... oh, he is lizard of sorts. Huh. As much as I love reptiles of all kinds, Charmander's head has always screamed "ugly" to me. It's evolutions are fine, but I just can't shake how much it irks me...

Oh, I never claimed that I entirely liked Charmander for looking like this. But as it evolves, it takes levels in badass. On many areas, appearance included.
    booinyoureyes
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    I never played the original pokemon though I did play Gen2 by far the coolest was Typhlosion

Seriously, they're badgers that are made of fire. How much cooler does it get than that!

[Deleted User]Nonnahswriterbooinyoureyes
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Squirtle was my jam, and one of my favorite pokemon from the original 151.
    elminsterbooinyoureyes
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

I never played the original pokemon though I did play Gen2 by far the coolest was Typhlosion

Seriously, they're badgers that are made of fire. How much cooler does it get than that!

I always picked Cyndaquil in Gen2. ^_^ :cookie:

I never played the original games either (at least, not all the way through), but when I picked up LeafGreen for the GBA, I stuck with Bulbasaur. I love grass pokemon, and just look at how cute he is!

(Also, Ivysaur is really fun to play in the modded version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.)
    booinyoureyesYupImMadBro[Deleted User]
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Pikachu. Squirtle has the best name though.
    booinyoureyes
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Squirtle was by far the strongest, and makes life easy for a beginner, as long as know to give him Dig. Super Effective vs Electric and Grass? Damn. He can 1 shot Venosaur with that.

Favourite has varied endlessly, I still occasionally break out the Ol' Gameboy, and use the 'Mew Glitch' to try some weird pokemon from early. Most recently, I nabbed a Lickitung, which is not overpowered (he has Stomp as his key attack atm, and still uses Wrap and Supersonic) at all, along with a Grimer (he looks so cool...), Staryu (he's got nothing until he learns Watergun, I try not to use TMs early to add some challenge), and a Cubone (who is pretty strong, despite unimpressive stats). You can use th3 glitch after Mt Moon, and you get them at 7th level. I have a powerful love of Butterfree though, used to prefer Beedrill until I forced myself to switch. Sleep Powder is very reliable, and Stun Spore is badass. Getting Confusion early is AMAZING, makes him about the best early pokemon. His only drawback is his poor defence.

Some old favourites:

Snorlax: So overpowered. Amnesia is stupidly good, and Rest allows him the ability to heal AND removes Stun, Poison, etc. Awesome HP, and if you give him Psychic, he can have that, Rest, and Hyperbeam, making him both essentially unkillable AND able to nuke any enemy. Tossing in Ice Beam and Blizzard and he's even set vs Dragonite.

Dragonite: he's awful to raise from Dratini, but Dratini can combine Toxic, Wrap and that can end VERY strong enemies at a low level. Still, he sucks in the two lower level forms, and badly wants some elemental TMs. All told, ridiculously strong, and very durable. Also looks cool. If you don't want to give him Toxic early, just be patient and use Thunder Wave and Supersonic maybe before wrapping. Tedious but effective.

Parasect: Spore is 100% IE you can have crummy luck and will always sleep your enemy. Very high attack, and guaranteed sleep make him a powerhouse.

Cloyster: Indestrucible clam-cannon! No, really, he's insanely tough despite crummy HP. Clamp and Toxic is downright evil. Clamp actually does solid damage, so you migt not need Toxic.

Starmie: Recover is handy, and can use some great TMs, making him potentially quite solid.

Gengar: Cool + Immune to Normal + Great Stats = amazing. Heck, you can rely on Dream Eater quite safely, good damage and recovery. He can use some nice other elements too.

Kangaskhan: A bit weaker than Tauros, but way cooler. Comet Punch is pretty decent.

Spearow: Love taking him early, but I always end up abandoning him as he gets boring and weak.

Most Pokemon have some value, but some were useless for the PC to use, IE zubat (so few PP! And crummy damage) and Raticate (zero durability, despite good firepower actually. Not quite fast enough to get by after lvl 20ish). This was pretty annoying.

Mr. Mime, Alakazam and Hypno were all able to churn through tons of enemies, one shotting everything AND going first. Psychic was so easy, since there Poison, Fighting, and Normal Pokemon are so common. Mr. Mime is durable and fast, but Hypno is imho given the best techniques.
    CoryNewbNatenlunar
    edited May 2015
    DreadKhan said:

Squirtle was by far the strongest, and makes life easy for a beginner, as long as know to give him Dig. Super Effective vs Electric and Grass? Damn. He can 1 shot Venosaur with that.

In Venosaur's case I think he would only be normally effective with dig because Venosaur is grass (which ground is weak against) and poison (which ground is strong against). But I suppose my mind may be affected by any gen 2 changes that were made to that.

What you want to use with Squirtle in the case of a grass type would be an ice attack. Pretty sure you could get blizzard by the time you go through the grass gym too.
    CoryNewb
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Like to have a dragonite in the party, always a dragonite :), and also a gengar. Above that? will be based on what i want in the time i play.
    booinyoureyesCoryNewb
    @DreadKhan no chancy? No tauros? Those were two of the most OP pokemon from gen 1 :)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I think its impossible not to love these guys

CoryNewb
    Oh I remember snorlax's abilities, but rest is unpredictable.

Your list of gen 1 pokemon hit pretty much all the staples of the early pokemon that were considered the best for competitive play. :)

I enjoyed my water/ice lineup a lot:

Blastoice
    Gyrados
    Dragonite
    Lapras
    Vaporeon
    Articuno

Jynx wasn't a bad subsitute, but this lineup could never touch a well tuned tauros/chancey/tauros/etc.

I have always been a big fan of water/ice fantasy stuff. And I was 10 or 11 when I played most of my pokemon gen 1 :)
    Rest wastes 3 turns total... you use it, sleep 1 round, then waste next turn waking up. Use Amnesia once even and I don't think an equal level Mewtwo can drop you fast enough anymore. The 'challenge' for Snorlax is getting 3 Amnesia off... after that, it gets VERY ugly unless someone uses that attack Mewtwo and Golbat get that removes buffs. Vs Mewtwo anyways, Snorlax has Hyperbeam with STAB, for some brutal damage. Ymmv, but he's nearly unbeatable imho.

Jynx is a beast I agree, excellent defensive types make her hard to drop, and she gets versatile attacks.

Chansey for me was never a good enough damage dealer, but I can totally agree that you can make him very strong and about the handiest support Pokemon for storymode.

Iirc, the only 'theme' build you can use and not be screwed over easily is Water/Ice. It has so many solid pokemon, and has varying abilities. Electric and Fire have good variety, but they are too vulnerable. Fire gets Charizard, but Blastoise is imho more powerful.

I used Mew a couple times, really nice pokemon actually. He's not really THAT strong, but easily gains levels iirc, and free TM use means you can do some cool stuff. Or, he can serve as your HM dumpster, though I have always found Surf to be worth taking on a fighting pokemon, and Strength isn't awful. Fly is also decent, Sky Attack does better damage, but is more vulnerable, and most Flying pokemon can be one shotted relatively easily.
    DreadKhan said:

Pretty sure Dig is Super Effective vs Venosaur in Gen 1, because it was used on me ages ago.

Yea now that I think about it more you are right. Just one of the quirks in the first gen :)
    elminster said:

DreadKhan said:

Pretty sure Dig is Super Effective vs Venosaur in Gen 1, because it was used on me ages ago.

Yea now that I think about it more you are right. Just one of the quirks in the first gen :)
    While I'm very pro Gen 1, it certainly had issues. Its appeal is mostly the sheer simplicity... I'm not convinced that many of the big changes really improved the fun.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I love gen one, I still own my pokemon red and pokemon stadium for n64, about 6 months ago, I finally beat all the modes and got to round 2 mewtwo, and horn drilled him will seaking LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    Dread you are a wealth of knowledge :blush: . I also really love gold/silver and pearl/diamond...but blue/red hold a special place in my heart.
    CoryNewb said:

Dread you are a wealth of knowledge :blush: . I also really love gold/silver and pearl/diamond...but blue/red hold a special place in my heart.

I'm always surprised by how 'conventional' many people played in Red/Blue... ie bothering with Rhydon or Golem. :neutral: They strike me as huge newbie traps, because they sound so solid, yet can be wiped out with no risk by pretty much any grass, ice or water attack, to say nothing of psychic. Cloyster for example is much tougher, as is Slowbro. I loved Golem back in the day, but I'd be VERY unlikely to bother with him in an actual PvP. Water has some REALLY grest pokemon though, for example Lapras, Slowbro, Starmie, Tentacruel, Dewgong, Omastar, and Cloyster provide some really awesome versatility. Several can even learn Electric attacks. No other type has such solid, well rounded pokemon. Real shame Water is the 2nd Gym imho, should have been late!

Kinda an interesting idea though, I wonder what pokemon most people see as newb traps; IE pokemon that are actually much less useful than they appear. Gyrados for example has weak defences, and his great Normal attacks don't get STAB, meaning Tauros or Snorlax will hit much harder.

Then there are options like Parasect, which seem like crap until you realize how brutal Spore is, being 100%. Beedrill's Twineedle is a nice tool too. Of course, there are pokemon that seem good when you get them, before you find out they stink later. :neutral:
    edited May 2015
    In terms of favourite pokemon in general (not just starters).

In Gen 1 my favourite was Kabutops.

In Gen 2 Slowking was my favourite.

So with Squirtle as my favourite gen 1 starter I guess I really like shells? :p
    Nonnahswriterbooinyoureyes
    Well, that and water types? Kabutops looked so cool, making the awesomeness of Omastar so much sadder.
    elminster
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    in pokemon stadium, starmie gets mvp, it is quite fast, has great special, mine had phsycic, surf, thunderbolt, and double team, good ol' double team, in gen 1, double team trucked opponents, that is the only way to win the level 50-55 cup on master difficulty ( plus using the legendary birds helped, since their base stats were so high, especially articuno, in gen 1 articuno was a tank, could take hits, and could dish them out, thanks to the fact that special and special attack were the same thing)
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Squirtle Squad FTW!
    booinyoureyeselminster
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    NonnahswriterelminsterbooinyoureyesSmilingSword