Skip to content

What game speed is normal for you?

Saigon1983Saigon1983 Member Posts: 157
I have a simple interest. For me - 60 fps is normal, because I played these games many-many times and can't wait when my party have a long-long walk through the whole areas, or cast spells for more than 6 seconds. Ctrl+J option is also good friend of mine. So, how about you?
* First thread was corrupted by pressing "Enter" at a wrong time during creation, sorry))
  1. What game speed is normal for you?45 votes
    1. I prefer normal 30 fps, although I'm playing for the hundredth time
      57.78%
    2. I'm plaing only 60 fps, because I'm playing for the hundredth time
        8.89%
    3. My favorite fps is 35-45 and I'm playing for the hundredth time
        6.67%
    4. This is my first/second walkthroug, and I'm playing normal 30 fps
        2.22%
    5. This is my first/second walkthroug, and I'm playing more than 30 fps speed
        0.00%
    6. What? Is there a way to improve game speed? Seriously?
      20.00%
    7. Yeah, 60 is the best choice! + I changed heroes walk speed in Keeper and use Ctrl+J! Oh! And Boots of Speed of course!
        4.44%
GoturalJuliusBorisovMetalloman

Comments

• GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I'm playing BG:EE at 45 FPS at the moment, but I think I'm going to reduce it to 40. Anything above 45 makes cutscenes a bit buggy and is too fast for my own enjoyment but I always though the default speed was a tiny bit too slow.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I have never changed the default speed and haven't felt any need to do it. To me, it runs fine.

"Just like old times, except for the torture new look and all."
    GoturaljesterdesuNimranBrer_Rabbit
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    There was no option greater than 100th time or I'd have selected that!

All games deserve their native frame rate, anything else spoils the magic.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'd enjoy the ability to tweak the framerate on the fly, but given that I don't think that's an option, I play on 30 fps.
  • Saigon1983Saigon1983 Member Posts: 157
    Maybe, some more opinions?
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    Anything higher than 30 fps looks silly, I'm not in a hurry when I play a game, especially cRPG.
    jesterdesu
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Having more than 30 fps would be bad for my reaction time, considering I do no-reload runs.
    JuliusBorisov
    Hmm... seems, it's just me & few (very few) others play on 60 fps... But I can't wait fer my party goes all the way from NW to SE end of map. And wait six seconds for find a trap. But at the same time I can spend hours for reading story line, or rearrenging my equipment))
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    [ Copy/Paste from previous poll]

Normal speed, of course, but if I have to walk back and forth many times for some quest I use CTRL+J shamelessly.
    JuliusBorisovArdul
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    This poll lacks an option for Ludicrous Speed!

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Playing on a laptop, graphics card temperature is my primary concern. Plus I worry about screwing up scripted content.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Bynary_FissionBynary_Fission Member Posts: 202
    How can anybody tolerate 30 fps? I switched it to 60 very early in my BG years, even going down to 45 for MP sessions with friends makes me feel like a slug.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373

How can anybody tolerate 30 fps? I switched it to 60 very early in my BG years, even going down to 45 for MP sessions with friends makes me feel like a slug.

It might be pure nostalgia. I guess I only play this game when I'm in no hurry though!
    jackjack
  • Bynary_FissionBynary_Fission Member Posts: 202

It might be pure nostalgia. I guess I only play this game when I'm in no hurry though!
    Fair enough. Of course, having played the game countless times over the years factors into it - you can only make the trip to Nashkel so many times on 30 fps before you drive yourself crazy. :smiley:
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Where is the decrease the frame rate to 20-25 option?
    jackjack
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    The default is fine.... What's the default?
    jackjack
  • AureolAureol Member Posts: 53
    @lroumen The default is 30 FPS.

I myself play on 45. It messes up the cutscenes slightly as @Gotural mentioned, but it's something I live with. I actually did not know you could change it until the EEs came out, and when I did, I was in bliss! I played 60 for a while, but that was waaay too fast.
    Gotural
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    lroumen said:

The default is fine.... What's the default?

jackjack
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Where's the 90 fps option?
    semiticgoddess
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Hmmm. So what fps definition is used here?
    Does the game actually produce more animation frames per second (so 1 second is really 45 frames rather than N frames) or does it process more animation frames per second (so what normally would be 45 frames over N seconds is now executed in 1 second)?
    Uhm... so is 45 fps slower gameplay (1st definition) or faster (2nd definition). ; p

I guess the 2nd...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Playing at 45 frames is faster than 30 frames.
    Aureol
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    You're keeping track of FPS for a 2D game?
    edited May 2015

Not keeping track per se, but there is an option in baldur.ini to change the FPS, and this causes the game to run faster/slower.

With the default at 30, the game goes about 1.5 times as fast at 45 and 2x at 60. Thus, I play at 45 FPS to play the game at about 1.5 times the normal speed.
    semiticgoddess
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    Aureol said:

Not keeping track per se, but there is an option in baldur.ini to change the FPS, and this causes the game to run faster/slower.

With the default at 30, the game goes about 1.5 times as fast at 45 and 2x at 60. Thus, I play at 45 FPS to play the game at about 1.5 times the normal speed.
    *spits out lemonade everywhere* Wait, I can change the FPS in the ini!?!? HELLZ YEAH!!!

*spits out lemonade everywhere* Wait, I can change the FPS in the ini!?!? HELLZ YEAH!!!

Welcome to the next level)))
    Brer_Rabbit
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    Oh, I put it at 50-55. Loving it so far, even if its hard to keep up sometimes (Dammit Rashaad, slow down!!). Does make exploring less of a chore!
    Aureol
    edited May 2015

Oh, I put it at 50-55. Loving it so far, even if its hard to keep up sometimes (Dammit Rashaad, slow down!!). Does make exploring less of a chore!

I couldn't agree more :smiley: I just feel silly that it took me over a decade to realize I could! Thankfully, this sort of thing seems like news to a good chunk of people.
    Brer_Rabbit