Skip to content

Which D&D system do you prefer?

Comments

• Jedi_GnomeJedi_Gnome Member Posts: 92
    I only played the original edition & 2nd Edition. But, I've read 3.5 and I think I would have really enjoyed it. First, I had always wanted to play a gnome paladin, but previous editions wouldn't allow it. Also, looking through 3.5, I would like to play a gnome swashbuckler and then move into a blade bravo prestige class.
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    2nd Edition Forever!
  • Ignis_solisIgnis_solis Member Posts: 1
    Started with AD&D 2nd edition, became a great fan of 3.5 and later Pathfinder. Out of curiosity I checked out the D&D Next playtest and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by the material so far.
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    4E just feels more fluid
  • AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254
    3.x/Pathfinder supports minis and combat grids, but also details everything in terms of distance. I've happily ran entire campaigns without so much as a single grid or miniature, often just scribbling on a piece of notebook paper as the party explores. In fact, for about 8 years, this was entirely the norm, and then a friend of ours bought a dry-erase grid and wanted to play with it for a while.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @TheCoffeeGod Niiice. I have ... like 6 of those. D:

Btw nice peanuts. Always a necessity.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    Quartz said:

Btw nice peanuts. Always a necessity.

-lol-
    That's actually my Can-o-Dice!
  • ManveruManveru Member Posts: 75
    Pathfinder / 3.5th edition
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    2nd edition all the way!! I loved the character creation in Bg1-2. Rolling for your stats. Then i played neverwinter nights 1-2 and icewind dale 2 and as much as i enjoyed playing icewind dale 2 i didnt like the way it handed out a set amount of points to allocate. It killed the character creation for me a little lol Thats just my opinion though :)
  • PaladynPaladyn Member Posts: 23
    I have a special place in my heat for second edition. For a very long time it was synonymous with a RPG to me. There are time I even regret I tried to play other editions :)
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    I have always loved second edition (2ed). Third is alright, I guess, but never felt the same.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    mage/werewolf/vampire was pretty fun too back in the day.
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    UP :D
  • cutlasskiwicutlasskiwi Member Posts: 35
    I love both AD&D second edition and D&D third, especially 3.5. But my vote ultimately landed on D&D third edition simply because all the fun nights me and my friends have had with it. I miss those nights. :)
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited September 2012
    Second seems more sensible to me... Yes BG used it, but I played a lot of NWN that used Third... Third was more about different paths of character creation for me. Second allowed a more linear straightforward leveling up of a character... You just leveled and went on... With Third you had to mess about... Two many choices. I understand that some people would want the choice, but everyone went the power gamer route and instead of having the variety everyone wanted you had lots of 38 mage / 2 rogue running about. Yes they went to adding lots of other classes like Arcane Archer etc but this just routed players into looking for more powerful combinations.

2e. Restrictive but best.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I voted 2nd addition for two reasons: You can't properly multi-class in 3rd edition, where you wind up at high level being powerful in both classes. To do efficient character building in multi-classes with 3rd edition, you really have to concentrate on one class and just "splash" the others, because spreading yourself too thin will seriously gimp your abilities when you get to epic level adventures. So, I like 2nd edition because I prefer its handling of multi-class characters.

The other reason is because 2nd edition AD&D rules are what I grew up with, playing tabletop with friends when I was in high school and college.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    2nd Edition rocks. We used to play old-school 1st Edition in college. I do think kits and specialty priests tend to get ridiculous and out of hand. Some of the "Complete Book of Races" stuff is also a bit OP... additionally I miss the Monk and Cavalier classes from 1st Ed, and the Paladin and Ranger are unfortunately nerfed a bit *too* much. Still, comparing it to 3rd edition... I like more bare-bone systems because they support making your character unique by role-playing rather by having 26 different abilities and being a weird race and dual-wielding great swords. Get outta here with that stuff!
  • SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 6
    3E has the advantage of introducing feats, which makes fighter characters more interesting. It also removed many of the arbitrary class/race restrictions.

But the horrible, horrible multi-classing system always turned me off it. You just shouldn't be able to take one level of a random, seemingly unrelated class just for some bonus.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited September 2012
    I voted 3rd edition but I'm currently running a Pathfinder game for the first time and it's a ton of fun. I really like the Golarion campaign setting. Plus 3.5 is just too bogged down with a million splatbooks that aren't very balanced, and it encourages stupid builds so you have to have at least three different classes to pull your weight. In Pathfinder they mechanically incentivize just sticking to one class (or maybe one class + one PrC). I like 2e too but it's hard to find anyone to play it. I've heard conflicting things about 5e so I'm just going to wait until I have a chance to try it out to pass judgement. Hopefully they won't screw it up like they did 4e.
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    AD&D second edition. Mainly for nostalgic reasons as it's been over a decade that I had the change of playing it. 3.5 is very well done as long as you dump all the prestige classes. Haven't tried 4th edition and propably never will.
  • DemossDemoss Member Posts: 52
    Me and bunch of friends mainly play 3.5 but i have played 2nd and i certainly prefer it to 3rd, as my friend put it 2nd AD&D is better for roleplaying and 3.5 is more focused on the gameplay (fighting etc) he has no opinion on 4th though.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    2E all the way. Man 4E is not getting any love. I like the way 4E puts a check on mages a bit, although it sucks in so many other regards.
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    Akerhon said:

UP :D

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    If trying to handle a big party, like in Baldur's Gate, I prefer the relatively simplicity of 2.5 Edition AD&D, 3.5 is just too complicated. It was okay in NWN (1), though, but you only controlling at most a few characters
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    I believe one of the reasons people have so many fond memories of 2nd Ed is that is was easy to make the rules system take a backseat to story / roleplaying / immersion. With more recent games, there are so many ways to express your character's individuality within the rules system that the rules begin to speak for your character.

I made a sorcerer class for 2nd Ed done the way that sorcerers SHOULD work, not just the "more different wizards" that WotC made them out to be. If someone can suggest a good site where I can upload a document without signing up for an account, I'll let you guys have what I've got.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    4th edition is too comic bookish for me - they're not medieval adventurers anymore!
  • The_Guilty_PartyThe_Guilty_Party Member Posts: 44
    I liked the way you could play AD&D 2nd ed entirely in your head; you needed no positioning, no minis, no anything. It's a story you can weave with your friends. I liked the way 4th ed encouraged everyone to be useful, and to work together, and the kind of tactical boardgame/strategy feel it brought. 3rd ed always felt like a dream for obsessive-compulsives and min-maxers and a bloated pain for everyone else.

But the magic of paper is that those who like their edition can still go out and play it, provided they can find someone who agrees.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    So far, 4th, for the streamlining. Our group is very roleplaying-strong, so we don't get concerned about weak roleplay... I've always thought that was the responsibility of the DM and players.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    For usage in video games, AD&D2 was clearly the best.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I never played 4th, I have no clue what next is, so it is 3e for me. Mostly because you have more control on character creation (rolling stats blah).