Skip to content

Girls will be boys and boys will be girls ...

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I'm a guy but when I play BG I almost always play a female character (a paladin, steadfast and true) and I get the impression a lot of guys like playing as girls (I mean would Tomb Raider have been anywhere near as popular if it had been Lloyd Croft wandering through the dungeons in tight little shorts?). But does the opposite hold true? Do girls like playing as boys?
  1. Girls will be boys and boys will be girls ...246 votes
    1. I'm a guy and I play as a guy.
      46.34%
    2. I'm a guy and I play as a girl.
        4.88%
    3. I'm a guy but I play as guys and girls.
      32.11%
    4. I'm a girl and I play as a girl.
        7.72%
    5. I'm a girl and I play as a guy.
        0.41%
    6. I'm a girl but I play as girls and guys.
        4.07%
    7. I always play as a dwarf; so who knows?
        2.03%
    8. I'm not sure if I'm a boy or a girl. It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world.
        0.41%
    9. I'm an inadequate troll and I'm only answering so I can have a sexist rant.
        2.03%
Post edited by Medillen on

Comments

• rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
    Can't even remember why I started playing female characters but I have done so for every RPG I have played...
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Whoops! Posted this on the volunteering site by accident. If some helpful volunteer knows how to move it to the General site it would be much appreciated.
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    Done ! :) Be a bit more careful next time !
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    My answer say it all
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Medillen said:

Done ! :) Be a bit more careful next time !

Thanks. Will do.

• TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    I play most of the time as a guy, but there were some exceptions in a few games (e.g. Assassin - Diablo 2, Ashe - League of Legends). I might as well try and play BG:EE as a girl, that would be something new to me.
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    There has been a joke around on the internet saying that if someone tells you that person is a GIRL, it likely means that person is a Guy In Real Life. :D
  • Rush_that_speaksRush_that_speaks Member Posts: 36
    I just enjoy being myself even in a game.
    Moreover, I don’t like girls very much ;/
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    Not so many girls voting for now...
  • CheOffshoreCheOffshore Member Posts: 27
    I've played Bethesda's games as a female character! played fallout 3 as a black woman, after discussing with a friend that the point of fantasy games is you play as someone you could never be in real life XD I then just liked the character and she stuck around for New Vegas, Oblivion and Skyrim!

Never played the IE games as a woman tho! might have to do EE with Dynaheir's portrait when i get it ;)
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited September 2012
    i should have picked the bottom option. i play as guys, i like the romance.

also @Permidion_Stark , have you played the seralith mod on bg2 soa/tob? it adds a female pally who plays the part deep and well. I think you would enjoy it :)

Edit: @sophia lol, i'd be scared to admit i was a girl on a dnd board.....or the internet......but then i know how bad some guys can be :P
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    Usually, when I have to make a character, I imagine a character I feel like playing at that moment, sometimes I imagine a female character and sometimes a male.
  • OneTrickPonyOneTrickPony Member Posts: 17
    Im a guy and I will most often play a female character(if dwarfs aren't an option), simply because i prefer looking at a female body(especially in 3rd person games).

Simple minded, i know.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    @OneTrickPony a friend of mine plays female toons for the same reason, He takes it a step further and claims that i`m gay since i have a dude`s arse on my screen when i play. But then, it is "my" arse.
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    edited September 2012
    Now I'm curious about how many girls play bg, I've always thought we were a lot, not the majority, ok, but a lot
    Bjjorick said:

@sophia lol, i'd be scared to admit i was a girl on a dnd board.....or the internet......but then i know how bad some guys can be :P

Ahahah, scared :)? Maybe I've been lucky but I'm registered to lots of forums about gaming or rpg and the fact that I'm a girl have never made a difference in any conversation.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Posts: 201
    Although I generally enjoy the "girl" playthrough more. Something about kicking evil asses with a skilled female magician or warrior is really exciting.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    I tend to play as a guy mainly because I have a cool male portrait lol. The girl idea makes sense because Sarevok is a dude so your character being a girl kind of adds some variety. But who cares right? :)
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I tend to play both genders in RPGs. Simply because it's role playing. I taylor my characters in my head before starting the game, once I got a definite product, I'll start the game and start rolling to reach the abilities that I think should be used for the purpose of that run. Normally, I'll aim for powerplaying abilities, but sometimes also for roleplaying ones.

LONG STORY SHORT - I'm a guy who plays both female and male characters.
  • SeriousMikeSeriousMike Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2012
    sexist rant:
    CHARNAME has to be stronger than anyone else in the party. How could a girl achieve that? It would require an all female party.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315

sexist rant:
    CHARNAME has to be stronger than anyone else in the party. How could a girl achieve that? It would require an all female party.

Not necesserelly, make her a wizard

• SolyarisSolyaris Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2012
    - always played a male in baldurs gate.
    - always male in nwn (because i couldnt do that fantasy girl **** on roleplaying servers)
    - i just pick whichever gender is cooler looking in an MMO... so this equates to females for human/elf/etc races and males for manly/beast races lawl
    - i used to always play femshep because i had a terrible recollection of sheploo's voice, but im playing through the ME series again and sheploo's VA isn't as bad as i remember. i wanted to romance datass instead of boring, predictable liara. on the flip side, jennifer hale's voice get incredibly cheesy and overdramatic by ME3... so whereas meer got better as the series progressed, hale got worse.
    - always altmer or dunmer male in elder scrolls
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I envision a character and match the gender to how I see that character. It's more about the character (to me) than to my self identification, although I have trouble romancing the guys as a female. Just can't get myself to that point, I guess.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I'm an amateur writer and I have 7 characters that I've created over time and that I really like... and since it's role playing, I keep using them and it's always fun to see where the story will take them knowing their personality, or how a story could change their personality. 4 of them are guys, 3 are girls (including one awesome halfling!) And depending on what kind of class/party/alignment I want to play and in what mood I am, I pick the appropriate one.
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72
    Depends what mood I am in. First playthrough is usually with a guy though not always. If I have to create a fully party its usually gender balanced.
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    I don't even pretend to understand women and playing as one ain't gonna change that.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Depends on the game. If given a choice I mostly play as a guy, unless playing as a girl provides a significantly different experience (ex. ME3). I also play as a girl if the game doesn't allow me to customize my character into a good looking guy. In Skyrim all the male characters seem to look really ugly, I ended up creating and playing a really hot looking woman instead.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    I prefer to play as a girl, but I'll play as a guy because I wanted to see what the other romances were like. I rolled a male paladin to have him romance Viconia and get her to alignment switch because I thought it would be funny. I always meant to go back and try the Aerie one, but I never got to. Something else to look forward to for BG2:EE.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I like roleplaying, but when I roleplay as a girl, I end up being this slut who will sleep with anyone...

It is far more realistic for me to be a guy who wants to be a slut and not able to sleep with anyone...
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    Only plays as a girl when it's needed in the game..eg. Tomb Raider or bloodRayne
    but still I will only play male character for any game that has gender selection
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    First i play as a guy, often as as barbarian or warrior (i'm made ​​for melee),
    then I enjoy trying a little of everything.
    I particularly like roleplaying as a drow, even if there are no suitable dialogs ... just for fun.