Skip to content

Wilson's base movement speed is too high.

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
Repro steps:
1. Load the attached SoA saved game.
2. Speak to Wilson and have him join the party.
3. Tell Wilson to move about a bit.

Observed: Wilson moves at about twice the typical base movement speed of other characters.

Expected: Wilson moves at the same base movement speed of other characters.

Notes: This was most likely caused by the increase in speed of other bears for the latest patch. Since Wilson's move speed had already been fixed via a different method I am assuming someone forgot to lower his speed back to its base before implementing the fix to bear speed.
NoobaccaMaxxximus

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited February 2015
    @bengoshi I was kinda surprised no one had reported this yet. I guess that it was at least noticed then. :)
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • MaxxximusMaxxximus Member Posts: 322
    Tresset said:

@bengoshi I was kinda surprised no one had reported this yet. I guess that it was at least noticed then. :)

What can i say, he's a magical bear with very "light bones" and strong paws ;)
    JuliusBorisov
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    hmm. I did a playthrough with Wilson as a permanent party member when the game was first released.

By late SoA and throughout ToB his current speed (the same as a character wearing boots of speed?) would have been a significant help. i.e. he was slow into combat and not quick enough to get out of trouble if badly wounded. So while his current movement rate may feel out of place it might be a better balance in the mid to late stages of the game.

Has anyone else used him through an entire run before his speed-boost and felt he was fine throughout ToB for example. Or completed a run with current settings and felt he was still too quick during the later stages.

Thanks
    ohrbear1.spl --> move rate 4 --> C:\createcreature("wilson13") --> ctrl+q --> rocket-wilson (old)
    ohrbear1.spl --> move rate 3 --> C:\createcreature("wilson13") --> ctrl+q --> fast wilson (suggested)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2015
    Gate70 said:

Has anyone else used him through an entire run before his speed-boost and felt he was fine throughout ToB for example. Or completed a run with current settings and felt he was still too quick during the later stages.

Thanks

I did a runthrough with him in SoA following the latest patch. I dropped him once I got to ToB though.

The problem is that he sucks against vampires and mind flayers. At level 9 a vampire only needs I think a couple of hits on Wilson to make it so that he is wielding normal weapons against them (his rage doesn't protect against level drain). Mind flayers on the otherhand only need 1 hit against him to kill him.

Where I'm going with this is that by making him the fastest person in your party (or one of the faster people) he becomes more susceptible to being the first person in your party to run into these sorts of enemies. If he were a tank it would be fine but as has been pointed out elsewhere he is meant to be emulate a Kensai. At most he should be moving at the speed that a Kensai would move at (without boots of speed).
    edited May 2015
    elminster said:

I did a runthrough with him in SoA following the latest patch. I dropped him once I got to ToB though.

The problem is that he sucks against vampires and mind flayers. At level 9 a vampire only needs I think a couple of hits on Wilson to make it so that he is wielding normal weapons against them (his rage doesn't protect against level drain). Mind flayers on the otherhand only need 1 hit against him to kill him.

Where I'm going with this is that by making him the fastest person in your party (or one of the faster people) he becomes more susceptible to being the first person in your party to run into these sorts of enemies. If he were a tank it would be fine but as has been pointed out elsewhere he is meant to be emulate a Kensai. At most he should be moving at the speed that a Kensai would move at (without boots of speed).

Definitely Wilson should be revised as @Elminister already suggested.
    http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/38244/suggested-simple-wilson-improvements#latest
    I don't really sure about "claws" progression but rage giving immunity to lv drain must be 100%