Skip to content

Minimum roll is 75?

moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
Can anyone point me in the direction of proof concluding that minimum starting roll for a character is 75 points OR could someone from Beamdog in the position of knowing the coding confirm this please? Is this also true for the previous versions of BG and not just the EE's?

I'm having a discussion with a rather stubborn person and this would be the simplest way to shut them down.

Thanks in advance!
lolien

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I fully understand this. I'm simply looking for proof of this (other than the 30 minutes of rolling characters on Youtube I have lined up).
    lolien
    Perfecto. That will do nicely.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    SethDavis said:

How about a developer testimony?

"I solemnly swear that this restriction is in the code, with the addendum that the total of the values can be reduced below 75 by de-allocating points and continuing with them in the pool."

So sayeth the wise SethDavis
    moody_mageSmilingSwordBlackraven
    Apparently everyone here is mocking me and thinks I'm an a$$hole (not denying it :P), @SethDavis's testimony is actually a sarcastic mockery of me and doesn't count as he didn't develop the original BG and I'm pretty much a terrible person for using the term 'stubborn' to describe someone.
    WilburSethDavis
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    decado said:

Apparently everyone here is mocking me and thinks I'm an a$$hole (not denying it :P), @SethDavis's testimony is actually a sarcastic mockery of me and doesn't count as he didn't develop the original BG and I'm pretty much a terrible person for using the term 'stubborn' to describe someone.

There are certain people you just don't argue with.
    moody_mage
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    He has access to the code regardless... So moot point.
    SethDavis
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    edited May 2015
    You could always throw this person off a bridge. It'll be like what, a -2 to your reputation? Just do a quest or two, maybe drop Viconia from your party for a little bit, and you'll be fine.

Edit: Btw, the above is obviously a joke. Don't actually throw people off bridges. Unless it's Noober. Then it's ok.
    FinneousPJSmilingSword
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited May 2015
    hmmm, fair enough I suppose lol

on further thought, while I have access to the code and can see how it's changed from the original, the original is for bg2 rather than bg1 (I think)
    Post edited by SethDavis on
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    People will believe what they want to believe. Sometimes when you are facing someone that adamantly believes something its best to just walk away. They'll figure it out in time.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Who ever is arguing the point.

Sit them down in front of a computer and load up the orginial baldur's gate.

Place 500 dollars on the table.

Tell the person to roll a character and continuously reroll it till they roll an amount less than 75. Once they do, they get the 500 dollars.

For every reroll the person does though, they have to give you ten cents.

They can give up rolling whenever they want but if they dont roll less than 75 they dont get thr 500 dollars and still owe you however much they rolled for.

Easy money.
    SethDavisDaevelon
    It was an internet discussion and it was apparently too difficult to reinstall the game to test, nor should they have to as it my my assertion that this behaviour existed therefore the burden of proof was on me. Fair enough.

Hence the links to six or seven youtube videos all detailing character creation, all of which not showing a single roll under 75 and the cherry on top being a developer confirmation.

It's a lost cause. The person in question has never completed a game of BG and believes the manual supplied with the original BG saga is a holy grail and cannot be disbelieved. I wrote off the discussion at that point and didn't go into the numerous errors present in that manual.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2015
    decado said:

It's a lost cause. The person in question has never completed a game of BG and believes the manual supplied with the original BG saga is a holy grail and cannot be disbelieved. I wrote off the discussion at that point and didn't go into the numerous errors present in that manual.

Pff that manual was perfect. Everyone knows that Detect Invisibility will detect any target within 10 yards/level. Likewise Web could be cast at a range of 5 yards/level.

Ohh and Haste? Only affects 1 creature/level.

Confusion of course casts in a 60 foot cube. Much better than Entangle's 40 foot cube or Bless's 50 foot cube.

These are all undeniable facts. :p
    JuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    decado said:

It was an internet discussion and it was apparently too difficult...

NSFW but... http://ftf-comics.com/?comic=internet-idiots
    elminster
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    Is this something that would be possible to mod?
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I don't know if it is technically possible, but is surely possible to have a character with less then 75 stats so the problem is if it is possible to override the minimum value of 75 in the coding of the simulated dice rolls, not to assign to the character stats less then 75 as it can be easily done by the player without even using modding tools.
    What will be the purpose of the effort of creating such mod? The vast majority of the player seeing a very low roll would probably roll again and the masochistic ones that want to run a Charname with very low stats (and I see their purpose, it actually makes the game way more difficult if you want a solo run and mildly difficult if you go with a full party) can easily obtain the same rolling their stats with real life dices or any other tool and then minmax the stats accordingly at the character creation, a single roll is needed as they want a total less then the minimum value set in the rolling code of the game.
    So even if it is possible, and I don't have an answer, why a modder would have to loose his time and effort in doing something that most of the players would not use and that the few interested in it can easily replicate with some real life dices?
  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 119
    A problem i found about this is that we ALWAYS get the rolling of dice giving us 75-79 most of time, once in a while no matter hard it is, we should get a score above 100 but this never happens (i got 90 once IIRC) - this should be coded better to give us better probabilities to reach high scores (not all the time of course) but once in a while