Skip to content

Fallout 4, not The Elder Scrolls VI, to be presented at E3 2015

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited June 2015 in Off-Topic
I know not everyone here is a fan of Bethesda games, but still...

It has been a long, long wait to actually get the clear undestanding of what game will be announced by Bethesda this summer.

Back in February, Bethesda announced its first ever E3 conference, setting the internet ablaze with wild speculation over the conference's purpose.

Now, we know the answer. It will be Fallout 4.

http://m.ign.com/wikis/e3/Games_at_E3_2015

http://www.pcgames.de/Fallout-4-PC-218722/News/Insider-20-30-Minuten-Gameplay-Video-auf-Bethesdas-E3-Pressekonferenz-1158384/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/11/fallout-4-cinematic-trailer-allegedly-made-by-guillermo-del-toros-studio

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/07/fallout-4-rumor-puts-reveal-at-bethesdas-press-conference

So, for The Elder Scrolls VI, we have to wait at least one more year. Ok then, let them make the game better with more time available.
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
AristilliuswubbleNimranMhamzamlneveseTeflon

Comments

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Well I'm pleased to hear that, though not surprised. There's been a great deal of rumours that Fallout 4 would be next for Bethesda on their forums the last couple of years. Of course I won't be buying it for awhile. I've gotten into the habit of waiting for Bethesda to release their "Ultimate" editions before getting their products. I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on it though, I'm a big fan of the Fallout games. As for waiting a year for the next TES game, I think it will be a lot longer than that. Bethesda typically only deals with one title at a time, so now that Fallout 4 is winding down they'll only be starting to go full swing with the next TES title, with just a handful of people to work on bug fixes and DLCs for Fallout 4. So I believe it will be a few years yet before The Elder Scrolls VI is done. Who knows, I may actually get around to playing Skyrim by the time the next instalment is ready. I bought it awhile ago, but have yet to get into it. I'm still busy with their two Fallout games.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I am pleased. I have enjoyed the Fallout series from the start and would avidly play more.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    involves Del Toro? well, too bad it's gonna be canceled.
    AristilliusFardragonelminsterJuliusBorisov
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I still haven't got far into Fallout 3 or Skyrim.

Seriously, can't we have some more upbeat games? Lets go watch Tomorrowland!
    Southpaw
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Fardragon said:

I still haven't got far into Fallout 3 or Skyrim.

Seriously, can't we have some more upbeat games? Lets go watch Tomorrowland!

I have an ongoing save for Fallout 1 (almost completed) and I still haven't played 2 or 3 at all. I don't think I can play the new one before I play through the previous games at least once :(
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Thinking about it, my primary request relates to Fallout 2. This is what I want. No new game (Wasteland2 and PoE were very nice though) just a refresh of Fallout 2 + Killap's fixes/mods with a graphical engine à la BGEE.
    You ask for flavours, Bethesda just gives you sugar. Let them play their own boring F3 and F4 and give us real games.
    @Wilbur
    If you start Fallout2, the only thing you need on top of your game is: http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?202265-Fallout-2-Restoration-Project-2-3-3-(Unofficial-Expansion)
    This is both a global fixpack (critical) and a mod (similar to an extensive Unifinished Business in BG terms), It also includes an external mod for playing in high resolution and directX. You may have to tweak an ini file to get the optimal configuration for your computer.
    Wilbur[Deleted User]
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    @Musigny I've heard of the restoration project before and I will definitely use it when I start playing part two eventually. I've been playing Fallout 1 with Fallout Fixt patch/mod which I guess is somewhat similar although it doesn't really add content.
    Musigny
    The restoration project (you can also decide to install the fixes without the "unfinished business part" - not recommended) is huge, resilient and stable. The collection of F1 fixes used to be smaller. I think someone wanted to reassess the F1 part and do something similar to the restoration project but I haven't followed the progress and I don't know how stable it is. I had no major issues with the semi official patch 1.2 by teamX, the unofficial patch 1.3 by teamX, the npc mod by teamX (again) and the high resolution patch. If you don't have a US native version you also need the "children" patch. There is an item highlighter mod but I played that game so many times that I don't really need it...
    There is an installation order IIRC:
    children patch
    patch 1.2
    patch 1.3
    npcmod
    high resolution patch + edit its ini file.

With Fallout 2 this is basically the restoration project and nothing else, not even the "official" patches or the high resolution mods which are already included in that mod.

Back to F4 for those who are interested in it.
    Wilbur
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited May 2015
    I only just nearly finished Fallout 3, just 2 DLC's to go and I'm going to collect all bobbleheads as well. I liked the game, even though Fallout fans say it's the worst game of all regular Fallout games (Tactics seems to share the unpopularity). I still gotta play Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout New Vegas and Fallout: Tactics.

The title Fallout 4 gets me confused though: isn't Fallout: New Vegas the 4th Fallout game? New Vegas is already the 5th game if counting Fallout: Tactics as well (which the name Fallout 3 doesn't count, but the Fallout Trilogy (FO 1, 2 & Tactics) as sold at some shops does). Thus the E3 conference will be making an announcement for the 6th Fallout game, not the 4th.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

The title Fallout 4 gets me confused though: isn't Fallout: New Vegas the 4th Fallout game? New Vegas is already the 5th game if counting Fallout: Tactics as well (which the name Fallout 3 doesn't count, but the Fallout Trilogy (FO 1, 2 & Tactics) as sold at some shops does). Thus the E3 conference will be making an announcement for the 6th Fallout game, not the 4th.

Well yes, technically the new game will be the sixth of the series, but since Tactics and New Vegas both had specific names for those releases, it goes back the the numerical system of naming.

• TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I like Bethesda, but imo they should keep their mits off Fallout.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Belanos said:

[...] it goes back the the numerical system of naming.

I'm sorry your meaning gets lost in poor translation to English. But what you're saying is, the games without numbers are just skipped in numbering? Well, at least Bethesda is less sloppy in their numbering than Microsoft :wink:

Teflon
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    new vegas doesn't count as fallout 4 because it was obsidian rather than bethesda that did it.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited June 2015
    I really liked Fallout 3... for some reasons I never completed New Vegas although it's considered a much better game. I''ll probably buy Fallout 4 anyway, after all War... War never changes :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    FinneousPJwubbleJuliusBorisovTeflon
    I really liked Fallout 1 and 2. I played Tactics and had some enjoyment out of it but it was more of a tactical simulation than a RPG game (as I recall). In any event 1 and 2 were superior to Tactics (imho).

I quite enjoyed Fallout 3 and thought it was a game in it's own right. I can understand the problems people have with the total change of genre, but I don't think that the game itself deserved the negativity. I accept that it is merely a new take on the whole thing. For some reason I could not get into New Vegas. I felt, and this may simply have been subjective, that I had less control over who my character was. Plus the beginning learning curve was brutal.

I am looking forward to Fallout 4.
    mlneveseFinneousPJJuliusBorisovTeflon
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Musigny said:

Let them play their own boring F3 and F4 and give us real games.

You found Fallout 3 and New Vegas boring? I don't think we were playing the same games, then....

Where many people make a mistake in trying to compare Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics (which I never played) against Fallout 3 and New Vegas is this: even though the games are all set in the same world, the production companies and play styles are significantly different enough that the games aren't really comparable to each other. Neither Obsidian nor Bethesda are Black Isle Studios, no matter how much they want to be, so from that point of view a certain "feel" got lost; however, both 3 and NV managed to capture the world of Fallout in the correct way and are worthy continuations of the franchise.

If we are going to criticize Fallout 3 then it will have to be because Bethesda was trying to figure out how the game should be played and how that world is supposed to work. Was it an ideal experience? I would answer "no" but is *any* game *ever* "ideal"? Of course not--even the "best" games could always stand a little improvement but we as players need to realize that "good enough" really is good enough and that perfection is not attainable. Besides, what you think would make a game "perfect" is not what I think would make a game "perfect" and both our ideas are going to be different than someone else's.

Was Fallout 3 *enjoyable*? Of course it was. Is it replayable? Of course it is--I have never found all the bobbleheads (even though technically I know where they all are) and I have never finished all the quests or made it to all world map locations. In fact, I was thinking of restarting it as soon as I get to a good stopping point on my current New Vegas replay. Similarly, New Vegas is both enjoyable and replayable.

Is New Vegas better than 3? I think so, yes. Repairing items is better, crafting is better, and receiving a perk every other level prevents your character from becoming a demigod by the time they are 15th level. Recall that in Fallout 2 you gained a perk every 3 levels (4 levels if you took the Skilled perk, which I usually do for the extra skill points per level). Besides, the game looks better and the story is more appealing (at least to me).

Do I hope they announce Fallout 4? Of course I do. Will I buy it as soon as it gets released? Yes, I probably will.

Don't forget: the next time you feel like getting upset about Fallout or trash-talking Bethesda, just remember that they aren't EA and that Fallout isn't Mass Effect. Do you want your ending to be red, blue, or green?
    wubbleelminsterChildofBhaal599Elrandir
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Personally I found Fallout 3 to be a lot more replayable than New Vegas. But either way both were fun games :)
    ChildofBhaal599mlneveseTeflon

both 3 and NV managed to capture the world of Fallout in the correct way and are worthy continuations of the franchise.

My thoughts as well.
    ChildofBhaal599jjstraka34
    @Mathsorcerer
    I will certainly not question your right to prefer inferior games. I bet this is reciprocal so please don't overreact. I hope for you that you can convince other forumers but clearly that's not for me.
    Mathsorcerer
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I couldn't make it past the vault in FO3, it kept crashing on my pc. :/
    Personally I wish Obsidian would make a flashback fallout game to take it back before the NCR took over the known world.
    Teflon
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    JuliusBorisov
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Musigny said:

@Mathsorcerer
    I will certainly not question your right to prefer inferior games. I bet this is reciprocal so please don't overreact. I hope for you that you can convince other forumers but clearly that's not for me.

No worries and no problems. Fortunately, I never overreact.

When are they going to get around to Season 3 of Nuka Break?

When are we going to get a Fallout movie?

the_spyder
    We already had a Fallout movie. It's called Mad Max: Fury Road. Or did I mean Cherry 2000?
    CoM_SolaufeinMathsorcererTeflon
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

We already had a Fallout movie. It's called Mad Max: Fury Road. Or did I mean Cherry 2000?

Or perhaps The Road?
    MusignyNimranTeflon
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Fallout ended on Fallout 2. Now we just have post-apocaliptic Skyrim from people that deoesn't understand the source material.

Not excited for Fallout 4. Not one bit.
    Musigny[Deleted User]
    edited June 2015
    *Fallout ended with Fallout 2. Now we just have post-apocalyptic Skyrim from people who don't understand the source material.

[/grammarnazi]

;)
    Musigny
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Nitpicking on non-native english speaker. How cute.
    MusignyTeflon
    edited June 2015
    O_Bruce said:

Nitpicking on non-native english speaker. How cute.

I'm joking. Which I think is the aspect of Fallout 1 and 2 that Fallout 3 failed to understand.

Oh, and "english" should have a capital letter.
    MusignySethDavisTeflon