Skip to content

Quickest leveling (pre-roleplay).

I leave the Keep, accept potion of quickness from, Imoen, remove her from party, travel to the farmstead north, drink potion, enter the caves, grab the loot in the cave avoiding interaction with enemies, travel to Durlag's tower, stun the Death Knights with the wand from the loot, slay them, and earn 4000 XP.

Quickest way I have found so far.

Any other takes?

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    yksimalt said:

I leave the Keep, accept potion of quickness from, Imoen, remove her from party, travel to the farmstead north, drink potion, enter the caves, grab the loot in the cave avoiding interaction with enemies, travel to Durlag's tower, stun the Death Knights with the wand from the loot, slay them, and earn 4000 XP.

Quickest way I have found so far.

Any other takes?

Get Korax to kill all the basilisks for you. 20k xp or something right there.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    That's a really convoluted way to get 4k experience :smile:
    The way that most no-reloaders (or, at the very least, I) tend to go to get risk-free exp is one south and then one west. Travel straight west from the entry point, find Shoal the Nereid. Kill her; she's worth 5k EXP, has no ranged abilities. You have to kill her from range though, since if she talks to you, she kills you.

Korax has already been mentioned, but there's 900 free EXP from that Marl in Beregost; the answer chain that lets you not fight is 1-1-3-3-1. Giving a book to Firebead grants another 300 EXP. At this point you're probably at level 3 or 4, depending on class, and shouldn't die to a stiff breeze; have fun!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    I really recommend to have a look on existing threads about this subject, expecially:

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41113/fast-safe-xp-in-early-bgee

There're also other similar threads:

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/18725/fast-relatively-easy-quest-xp-to-hog-before-expanding-your-party

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/19237/what-are-some-easy-ways-to-get-xp

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/15119/exp-gold-exploit

Personally, in order to get some quick XP without ambushes, I head to Shoal via the High Hedge (staying close to the north border, and then go West, to the North Coast area, where the Nereid can be taken down with ranged weaponry for 5000 XP. Then I go to Beregost and complete quests there.

After that, with the help of Corax the Ghoul I clear the basilisk area. I generally buy the Protection from Petrification scroll in the Nashkel Carnival as well.

As soon as I have enough gold to buy a wand of sleep in the High Hedge, I then go the Ankheg area and farm Ankhegs there.

This can bring about 30-40k XP in 1 hour without any risks.
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    Create a character in BG2, export, move file to BG1, rename, import, and done. Level 10 / 11 character.
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    Non cheap:

I usually try to kill some high XP targets, like Gatewarden, Elminster (every encounter), Shoal, Mad Arcand, Thalantyr, Drizzt, Shandalar (later), etc.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    On top of the one mentioned above, I usually kill Firebeard in Candlekeep. the rep loss doesn't really matter and it gets you to level 3 IIRC? Makes traveling the map for killing nymphs etc easier.

At later stage I've found that farming wolfwere's on Baldurans island nets you 1400exp*5 or 6 per interrupted sleep. Good for when you have a full party. Though it's much later of course, but pretty much risk free with a couple of hold spells and perhaps a slow etc.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I don't like killing Shoal the Nereid until I have a full party as it's better to do her quest and kill her captor and then surround her and gank her before she disappears after talking to her again.

It's a nice helm off the ogre Mage captor.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I like traveling north.

1. kill the farmers, take the bowl to the Umberlee priestess
    2. Do the zombie quest. 20 easy kills at 65xp a pop and then

This generally levels you up. A nice, easy, profitable lvl 1 quest. Then it is down south to Beregost and the easy xp down there.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Power-levelling is such a bore. Struggling through the first few screens at starter levels (and hoping that the 10-bandit ambush doesn't pop up too soon for your team to cope with it!) is actually part of the fun, IMO. I'll eventually reach the XP-cap well before the end of the game anyway, so it's not as if I "need" to adopt artificial strategies to gain XP.

Sometimes I'll follow a non-default route if I want a particular NPC on my team quickly. For example, if I want Shar-Teel in the "permanent team", then I'll probably go fetch her early so that I can pick the proficiencies I want her to develop, whereas I wouldn't otherwise go near her area until I'm several levels higher. Other than that reason, however, I'll usually follow the default routes (i.e. as suggested by the dialogues and journal entries), and let XP develop at a "natural" pace. It's not as if the "natural" pace is too slow: I always find that I level up enough to cope with the next location, without having to force it.

So sure, of course you can power-level by going off to farm basilisks and ankhegs at an early stage ... but I can't see the point of it.