Skip to content

Info about Bounty Hunter

Hi everyone, after a break of few months I'm planning a new full run over BG/BG2/ToB on my iOS device. This time it's gonna be mostly for roleplaying and storyline purposes than powerplay.
One of the most intriguing kits I always wanted to play is Bounty Hunter, but considering i've never used it (and traps in general) i'd like some informations.
First of all, are the special traps good and is it true that BH can throw traps instead of set them in a specific point? Do you think Special Traps are good enough to choose a BH over a dual fighter/Thief (still focused on traps) which is more versatile in combat due to access to all weapon types and Grand Mastery?

Thanks for your replies!

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Bounty Hunters can in fact throw traps. It opens up a lot of tactical possibilities that otherwise would not exist. They are a solid kit whether single- or dual-classed. They are particularly excellent in ToB when they can inflict an area-effect Maze that offers no save and bypasses magic resistance, as Maze allows you to lay several bigger traps while the enemy is temporarily vanished. @Alesia_BH did a lot to show the power of the kit.

A Bounty Hunter dualed to fighter is an excellent choice, as is a single-classed Bounty Hunter. And in my own experience in vanilla, which might not apply to EE, kit-based innate abilities like Boon of Lathander or Set Special Snare, for dual-classed characters, are cast based on the second class's level. So, a Bounty Hunter(5)/Fighter(15) will throw out a level 15 Special Snare, rather than a level 5 one. Assuming that applies to EE, you can get the Maze traps even if you dual to fighter before level 21.
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Bounty hunters can throw traps in BG2EE. Not sure they can in BGEE. Also in BGEE there is a bug at this point that gives their traps Resilient Sphere instead of what they are supposed to be doing.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    Fregasega said:

Hi everyone, after a break of few months I'm planning a new full run over BG/BG2/ToB on my iOS device. This time it's gonna be mostly for roleplaying and storyline purposes than powerplay.
    One of the most intriguing kits I always wanted to play is Bounty Hunter, but considering i've never used it (and traps in general) i'd like some informations.
    First of all, are the special traps good and is it true that BH can throw traps instead of set them in a specific point? Do you think Special Traps are good enough to choose a BH over a dual fighter/Thief (still focused on traps) which is more versatile in combat due to access to all weapon types and Grand Mastery?

Thanks for your replies!

BH is currently bugged, as elminster has mentioned. And no, they can't throw their special trap in BG:EE

However... Put spcl415 into your override folder to fix the BH, and, if you want to, spcl414 to allow throwing special snares :smiley:

semiticgoddessJuliusBorisovBlackravenulvino
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Fregasega, I don't have much to add to the above comments. @Alesia_BH and @semiticgod pretty much covered everything.

I'll leave you a link to the thread Alesia mentioned: http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/39041/the-solo-no-reload-adventures-of-norgath-dwarven-bounty-hunter-of-candlekeep/p1

Norgath made it solo into ToB without reloading (but fell quite early in the last part of the trilogy). In the thread you can see some examples of special snares helping Norgath to control the battlefield, for example in the improved Irenicus in Hell fight.

I'd definitely pick up the files that @JoshBG kindly attached to his post.
    JuliusBorisov