Skip to content

What are your Favourite Infinity-Engine Memories?

WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
These Are My Favourite Infinity-Engine Memories:
Baldur's Gate Tales of the Sword Coast: - Competing against my brother over who had more in game days. I blew up in Baldur's Gate.. I had a 1 minute mad dash on my last save to put all of my good items onto my character and import him.. This was when inventories had no pause.. Thalantyr, Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy, The Gnoll Stronghold, "My old toes as clean as an elven arse", BOWS, MAGIC MISSILE AND FIREBALL!, chunking things to death, the circus, short sword +2, Helm of defence and quest, finding the ring of wizardry on first months of Baldur's Gate (I was 9), finding the helm of Balduran behind a painting, ankheg hunting_farmer's sun_ankheg armor haggling and ten day wait, durlag's tower, Two-Hand Sword +2 quest and sword, Cursed beautiful Two-Handed Sword +3 quest and icon. The return random guy's body to the temple in friendly arm in quest, getting Jolia's house in friendly arm in, Umberlee quest outside of Baldur's Gate, Chainmail Armour +2, Drizzt everything (best cameo within any game so far), Marl quest, charming cloak, Plate Mail Armour+3, War Hammer +2 and dialog encounter, field of the dead mini area, the silly mage tower in Baldur's Gate, scar quest, finding the sewers, Bastard Sword +1, +3 vs Shapeshifters, The mage encounter east of friendly arm inn, the super scary basilisk area with Shar'Teel and the pompous dumb dumbs with the golden girdle, Bastard Sword of Balduran, The Jet'laya N.P.C. and quest (mod), d.s. Drow equipment (mod), mendas (mod), Tazok in bandit camp road (mod), The Grey Clan Quests and Items (mod), The Stone of Askavar (mod), [nerfed] crystal plate (mod), [nerfed] Duergar bounty hunters in Nashkel mines (mod), Original cinematics, the music, Dorn and quests, Shadow Armour +3, moon blade +3 and my favourite item in any game: Long Sword +2, Varscona.

Baldur's Gate II: - ***de'Arnise Keep and the Shadow Corrupted Sun Temple***. Now everything else listed was mostly just neat extras: Dual wielding, Darkmail +2, Ashen Scales +2, Flame of the North, Doom Plate +3, Crimson Chain Mail +5, Gold-Red Chain Mail +4, Lilarcor and related 'quest', Belm +2, Scimitar +3, having Imoen kidnapped, adventuremart, *SOME* of the Copper coronet and the slums, a bit of bridge, government, docks and cemetery districts, The Lich in the inn (a good wtf?!?), Cloak of the Stars, Haer'Dalis, Druid Grove, putting all of my extra spoils into the ranger house in Umar hills and then the town gave me the house and they 'gave' me stuff and I lost all of my old gear, sea troll in the sewers, upgrading stuff in the dock district, Temple of Talos and Defeating the cheating 'mage dude' at the end.

Icewind Dale: - Kuldahar *most everything*, Kuldahar inn story arc, Ogre in the abandoned tower, the talking goblin, the wizard tower in Kuldahar and the ancient king's crypt with the unenchanted plate mail armour. The unique unenchanted scimitar sold in the first town. The giant horde of stealthed thieves in the ex-Dwarven base, The gnome village + the 'double agent' Drow merchant. The ancient sword and the lake quest and unique bone dagger with +1 T.H.A.C.0 bonus from the first town. The 'Fine' quality equipment. Summoning skeletons and kill them to loot their random loot with a chance at magical weapons dropping from your summoned skeletons. The beetle shield. The haunted elf tower atmosphere and story. The cripple priest carbon freezing himself in the portal of doom and world death and destruction.
Post edited by WithinAmnesia on
TuthJuliusBorisovDJKajuruBlackraven

Comments

• TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    Now that's a nifty list of things. If I were to list every my favourite memory of the Infinity Engine games, it would take way too much space. So, I'll try my best to mention the very best memory of each game:

Baldur's Gate:
    Well, the whole game actually. It's really hard to choose just one thing, so I will list the top 3:
    - Cloakwood and the mines - the exploration of the wilderness, the creatures like spiders and wyverns, finding Spider Bane, the wyvern cave, encounter with Drasus and his friends.
    - the first locations in the game - Candlekeep with getting to know how to play, tutorial party, exploring the woods, the feeling of the huge world.
    - Baldur's Gate city and the chapter 7 - so many different encounters and tasks, the freedom, getting to know the whole plan and the ending of the game.

Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast:
    - Isle of Balduran - discovering what really happened on the island, exploring the area and the shipwreck.

Planescape: Torment:
    - Fortress of Regrets - the atmosphere of the place, encounter with past incarnations, meeting the Transcendent One, final dialogue with party members and the end of the game.

Icewind Dale:
    - Kuldahar Pass - the beginning of the game, exploring the snowy landscape, since it's the only "wilderness" area in the game, atmosphere, finding the Watchtower.

Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter:
    - Burial Isle - exploring the outside and the inside of the isle, finding the spectral armor.

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn:
    - The Planar Sphere - the mystery of the place, its connection with Valygar, discovering the whole story and exploring.

Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal:
    - Forest of Mir Temple - meeting with Gorion's spirit and Nyalee, the atmosphere of the place.

Icewind Dale II:
    - Targos - beginning of the game, the chaos in defending the city, various tasks within the city.
    JuliusBorisovWithinAmnesiaBlackravenDJKajuru
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Favorite memories...
    Chunking Tarnesh with a ferret, talking to Portalbendarwinden for the first time, talking to Mellicamp for the first time, the Amazing Oopah, roleplaying scenarios in my head that were not from the actual game, getting killed by a wolf in the first wilderness area, getting killed by a bear, getting killed by a gibberling, getting killed by a demon kid, getting killed by a town full of angry guards, getting killed by a polar bear in a non-polar region, getting killed by an ogre, getting killed by Tarnesh, getting killed by a trap in the Nashkel Mines, and getting killed by Gorion, my own foster father, in Candlekeep.

Of course, my most treasured memory is of watching my dad play the game for the first time and enjoy it to bits. He now owns the Enhanced Editions, and he plays them regularly.
    WithinAmnesiaJuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The most important stuff is in BG2, but there are others.

Icewind Dale:

1: Beating Belhifet on a no-reload run, after several things went wrong (Belhifet's attacks bypass physical damage resistance) and my main fighter was trapped by a bug.
    2: Beating HoF with an invincible party. I got a Fighter/Druid up to 100% physical damage resistance using bard songs and Water Elemental Form. This was before EE, so no Armor of Faith, and I'd never heard of anyone achieving this on my own. It was nice to find this out on my own.
    3: Creating another invincible party composed of gnomish Cleric/Illusionists. By stacking Righteous Wrath of the Faithful with Haste, and wearing the Helm of the Trusted Defender to negate the crippling fatigue penalties, I could have a party of fully buffed mages, Mirror Images and all, with 10 APR and subzero THAC0, at level 10, midway through normal mode. That party could take down the last level of Dragon's Eye, with Yxunomei and all the other Yuan-ti in the area, without resting once. And that was HoF mode. Another thing I'm rather proud of discovering.
    4: Soloing the game with a Fighter/Druid, because Fighter/Mage/Clerics were too boring.

Icewind Dale 2:

1: Beating a no-reload of normal mode and all or most of Heart of Fury (I might have stopped midway through HoF) with a Duergar Druid and a Deep Gnome Cleric. I abused the hell out of the game engine, though--the most extreme example was duplicating Potions of Greater Resistance.
    2: Another invincible party, composed of bards. I wouldn't let any bard stack more than one song at a time (no +20 to luck and damage), but I did let them stack their songs together (+6 to luck and damage). With bows and arrows and the Rapid Shot feat, they had better damage output and better saving throws than any other party. Even without stacking songs with one bard, bards are still crazy powerful in IWD2.
    3: Beating early game HoF with characters starting at level 1. I used sorcerers and bards and relied on song-boosted summons. I quit at level 10 or so, when the party was catching up to a normal HoF party.

Baldur's Gate 1:

1: Not many, honestly. I never beat the original BG1, only every playing Tutu, sometimes with SCS. I had great difficulty with everything, all the time.

Baldur's Gate 2:

1: Solo no-reload SCS2 with an Archer.
    2: Creating the Phase Spider kit.
    3: Killing Kangaxx with +1 ammo.
    4: Discovering Feeblemind could kill dragons, way back when.
    5: Building an Archer/Thief with area-effect STR drain using flashers.
    6: Restless run with a Mage->Thief dual-class. Not all of it, though--much of it was a chore.
    7: Insane solo poverty in ToB with a Wild Mage, mostly the last battle with Melissan (the only truly challenging part).
    8: Insane solo poverty in SoA with a Conjurer/Cleric. Conventional wisdom, at least at the time, held that only sorcerers could handle the ISP challenge, so I wanted to try something new.
    9: Insane solo poverty in SoA with a Kensai/Druid. I didn't finish this one, since by the late game, it was basically the same as the Conjurer/Cleric: Armor of Faith, Devas, and Energy Blades.
    10: Beating Chateau Irenicus with a Kensai/Mage without resting--a challenge somebody posted a while back.
    11: Killing Arkanis Gath with a group of Archers, without Death Ward.
    12: No-reload SCS2+Tactics with the party of spiders, with all enemy mages and clerics beginning with full buffs (I understand most people don't install pre-buffs). Particularly beating Irenicus in Spellhold without our normal items; stunning Ka'rashur and his entourage with a flurry of Psionic Blasts; stunning Mind Flayers with Psionic Blasts; killing the Watcher's Keep Demi-Lich without memorizing the right spells first; and killing the four dragons after Draconis without having any of my buffs active and despite incurring eight (!) character deaths over the course of the battle.

In retrospect, it's a very power-gamey set of examples.
    JuliusBorisovWithinAmnesiaBlackraven
  • jscohenjscohen Member Posts: 117
    Nimran said:

roleplaying scenarios in my head that were not from the actual game

So much this!

I'll add finishing the Unseeing Eye quest (as in - no spoilers - the long way, not just walking in and killing everyone) for the first time. I literally teared up . . .
    NimranWithinAmnesia
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Punching out the Shadow dragon with my monk as a 1-hit-kill (lucky Quivering Palm)
    JuliusBorisov
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited May 2015

You'd think a Quivering Palm would be the weakest attack a monk could make. Right down there with Pillowy Fist, Warm Hug, and Cautious Poke.

Then - of course - there is the "One Thousand Years of Death" move from Naruto

...sometimes I imagine that's EXACTLY what happened with the Shadow Dragon.
    JuliusBorisov
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited May 2015
    @Southpaw I always thought that Naruto was a bit weird.. I often use it as the Butt End of my jokes.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Not my favourite but definitely the oldest, hope it's ok if I share this instead.
    I wouldn't be able to pick a favourite anyway :'D

When I was like ten years old, I was watching my oldest brother playing Icewind Dale. At one point he found a wine bottle and was pondering for HOURS if it was a red herring or not.
    WithinAmnesiasemiticgoddessSkatan
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    Loading up BG1 after being hyped for weeks only to discover my computer wasnt good enough at the time.

Gorion and the Armoured Man nuff said.

Cool dreams

Being repeatedly killed by huge bandit groups on transition. Swear thats been massively toned down. Dying a lot basically to all the surprise assassins then kobolds in nashkel.

BG2 and the first in depth conversation with Jaheira when it hit me that the characters had a lot more depth.

The dreams got better.

Going into the circus tent in the promenade.

The underdark and everything about it.

Getting timestop and feeling like a god.

Finally finishing BG2 and TOB.

Playing Baldurs Gate with Tutu and NPC Project and actually completing it.
    WithinAmnesia