Skip to content

20th Discussion Special: What is the Single Most Awesome Moment in the Baldur's Gate Saga

13»

Comments

• James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    Definitely story related: Yoshimo turning out to be a traitor! Irenicus bursting through the large doors in Nine Hells! "I cannot be caged!" And, the final ceremony with Ellesime et al!
    Also: Voice acting in Anomen's personal quest, by the Empathic Manifestation in the Cult of the Eyeless quest, and Jaheira's romance "There is an ill wind in the air. Do you feel it? I feel a storm inside, in the distance…"
    GreenWarlockBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    The opening movie for original BG and the Sarevok Gorion battle.

Entering Baldurs Gate for first time.

Beating aec'letec demon thing.

Going into that circus tent after escaping irenicus dungeon. Just really surprised me after those rubbish places in Nashkel.

The entire planar sphere section of the game.

Becoming the slayer.. I just love randomly turning into it and whacking stuff.

When you realise the power of contingencies, sequencers, alacrity, project image, simulacrum and start to use them.

The first time you cast timestop and unload an armageddon of death on your enemies

The above with Robe of Vecna and sequencers to blow your entire spellbook on a single enemy and nearly break your old computer.

Casting wish to do it all over again.

Honestly a high level mage or sorcerer feels like a god in this game.
    killerrabbitJuliusBorisov
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    edited July 2015
    Best moment...
  • GenryuGenryu Member Posts: 372
    edited July 2015
    The Throne of Bhaal sound track!

Baldurs Gate had a great music score, but they really kicked things up a notch with ToB. Those boss battles against the five would not have felt half as epic as they did without that wonderful boss theme booming out in the background, that theme really set the tone of the fight for me, and helped to fully immerse you into the battles. And don't even get me started on the theme for the final battle!

ToB was a day one purchase for me, and I still remember sitting at the main menu in bedroom, in complete awe as the into music transitioned seamlessly from a hauntingly beautiful, calm and relaxing orchestral piece before kicking things into high gear suddenly with a loud, heroic and epically awesome, send shivers down your spine sort of transition.

To this day, ToB is still my number one video game soundtrack.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SgtZimSgtZim Member Posts: 2
    I freaking loved the game, it had a lot of highlights and plot twists. But those below had the greatest emotional impact on me:

-Yoshimos betrayal (He said something like "It hurts if you dont obey him"; damn that was awesome)
    -Imoens change from a healthy young women into a apathetic victim of torture
    -The nightmares and inner conflicts the Child of Bhaal had
    -The dialogues with Solar, and becoming a god
    -The moment you learn that Sarevok was you brother, and that Gorion had chosen to save you over him
    -And of course, the moment I realised that Koveras backwards means Sarevok

I almost shit my pants
    JuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I can imagine Yoshimo, standing in front of Charname and Imoen after their exhausting trek through Spellhold's lower reaches.

His sword in his hands, the red ribbon, symbolizing his devotion to Ilmater, and the narrow point directed at his friend. His body shaking with pain. His speech breathy and tortured, and he explains that he was trying to avenge his murdered sister, and he will die unless he manages to kill you:

"Do you know what happens when you try to break a geas?" He asks. "It hurts... it hurts and then you die."
    GrumJuliusBorisov
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Yes...Yoshimo. Poor Yoshimo. It's too bad you can't break Yoshimo's geas like you do with Lothander in BG1.

Mechanically: Yoshimo was a great thief, and his traps were second to none. Give him a few levels so he can get 100% trap setting, and he becomes the only reason that my parties can take dragons on in the lower levels.

RP: He was charming, fun to have around, and worked well with any party. That, and I'd like to see what kind of person he would have been when not magically forced to ensure you reach spellhold.
    ronaldoJuliusBorisov
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I think my favorite moment was the first time I played BG2 and saw how the NPC interjections were working. It was the first time I felt like a CRPG could have the same sort of life as PNP.

But for a pure laugh, I loved the party of young adventurers in ToB. I laughed so hard and so long...
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited July 2015
    You can break a geas in BG1, when your quests involve carrying around chickens, and another geas in ToB, when your quests involve slaying a demigod, but you can't break a geas in SoA, to save the one person you want to free the most.

EDIT: You can even break a geas on Ginafae in IWD. With a freaking potion.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I think Irenicus was probably smart/genre-savvy enough to give Yoshi a "don't tell anyone about the geas" clause of some sort. Which means by the time you find out, it's too late.

Honestly, as much as it's sad to lose a character who's both likable and mechanically strong, I think that very loss is what makes the betrayal really work from a writing standpoint.
    atcDaveGrumArdulJuliusBorisov
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Well, one of the latest most awesome moments in BG history for me was the announcement of a new expansion 17 years after the initial release of the game! Yay for Siege of Dragonspear!
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402

You can break a geas in BG1, when your quests involve carrying around chickens, and another geas in ToB, when your quests involve slaying a demigod, but you can't break a geas in SoA, to save the one person you want to free the most.

EDIT: You can even break a geas on Ginafae in IWD. With a freaking potion.

Can't remember 2nd edition rules but in 1st the person attempting to break the geas has to be a higher level to have a chance of success. What is Irenicus' level? 20 or so? He would need to find a 21 level priest and I'm not sure that there is one in the city.

Grum
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2015
    From the 2nd edition players handbook.

Geas
    (Enchantment/Charm)
    Range: 10 yds. Components: V
    Duration: Special
    Casting Time: 4
    Area of Effect: 1 creature
    Saving Throw: None

A geas spell places a magical command upon a creature (usually human or humanoid)
    to carry out some service, or to refrain from some action or course of activity, as desired
    by the spellcaster. The creature must be intelligent, conscious, under its own volition, and
    able to understand the caster. While a geas cannot compel a creature to kill itself or
    perform acts that are likely to result in certain death, it can cause almost any other course
    of action. The geased creature must follow the given instructions until the geas is
    completed. Failure to do so will cause the creature to grow sick and die within 1d4
    weeks. Deviation from or twisting of the instructions causes a corresponding loss of
    Strength points until the deviation ceases. A geas can be done away with by a wish spell,
    but a dispel magic or remove curse spell will not negate it. Your DM will decide any
    additional details of a geas, for its casting and fulfillment are tricky, and an improperly
    cast geas is ignored.
    Post edited by elminster on
    killerrabbitkcwiseGrumJuliusBorisov
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Ah. So it did change. So it is saying -- "whatever the DM decides"

From the 1st edition Dungeon Master's guide:

"Geas:

[irrelevant casting time stuff] . . . It is otherwise similar to a quest (q.v.)

Quest:

If the person agrees to a task, even though this agreement might have been gained by force or trickery, then any chance of avoiding the quest (the savings throw) is negated! Those of the same religion as the cleric are not able to avoid a just and deserved quest either, and those of the same alignment having to undertake a just and proper quest must save at -4 if they hope to avoid it. A quest can be negated by cleric of greater level than the one that placed the spell, if the cleric doing so is of the same religion as the quested creature. Some artifacts or relics can probably negate the spell, and any deity can do so, but only directly."
    elminsterGrumJuliusBorisov