Skip to content

Greetings!!!

I'm new to the whole Baldur's Gate, Dungeons and Dragons thing and this has been driving me nuts since I started playing. I'm on a Mac OS X 10.10 and I can't get mods to work. I was hoping there was a God Mod somewhere so you could power up enough to play with a party of one instead of a party of six. I figured out how to give myself more gold, but I can't seem to get the same cheat (with a few changes in wording) to work for giving me experience.

I don't understand how to get the stats for armor and weapons so I can make sure I'm buying the right stuff that will keep me the most protected and deal the most damage. Since I'm new, I have it set on the lowest difficulty so characters in my party don't permanently die, but they still do and I can't seem to figure out how to revive them, so when I need to reform my party, I send them home, thinking they'll be alive where I originally got them from.

Sorry if it's a lot but I really have no idea. I have a few guides bookmarked to refer to but I need a little more help

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Welcome to the forums.

You may want to read this thread:

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/8317/general-bgee-customization/p1

Have fun!
  • Meri20098Meri20098 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks a bunch! I'll give them a try. Can you enable the Console cheats during character creation so you can set all stats to 18?
    Thank you so much *noms cookie and gives baldurs gate designed cake in return* In your opinion will this allow you to play as a sigleton rather than with six other people
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    you can play solo anyway as your character will develop faster and reach a higher level, plus with areful character control it's easier to micromanage. You may want to ask @Blackraven as he is something of an expert on soloing the game.
    Thanks! :D
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Welcome!
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Welcome, @Meri20098, and thanks for the mention @wubble.
    While it is true that I solo a lot, I wouldn't consider myself an expert, at least not on late SoA and ToB. The most flexible, versatile solo character would probably be an Elven Fighter/Mage/Thief. Very good for the entire trilogy.
    For BG1 your best armor would be a mage robe that you can buy relatively early on (as soon as you've got the gold). Good weapon picks would be longswords and bows. Elves get attack bonuses when using those weapons and you can find a nice enchanted longsword also quite early in the game. Also, unlike for example two handed swords, bastard swords, and blunt weapons (except staves and clubs), longswords can be used for backstabbing with extra damage which is a very nice ability. As to the decision between longbows and shortbows, I'd go with shortbows because there are more good shortbows than longbows throughout the trilogy.

Welcome to the forums, and enjoy the game!
    @Meri20098 I really wouldn't try to solo this game while you're new to it though... Get some experience first, learn how the game works. See your first playthrough with a group as a chance to see how the different classes, spells and abilities work.

Then when you feel confident, go solo or try something different such as an all mage group or whatever you think will be the most fun :)
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    The Ferret Lord sends his regards! :cookie:
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Welcome, enjoy the forums!
    Thank you all so much! For a newbie like myself I feel eternally grateful for all advice given. The one last question (for now anyway XD) I have is let's say you reform your party. One of your members (not your main) is dead. If you remove them from your party, will they be back where you first found them and how do you revive a dead character? For example, at the Friendly Arm Inn there is a priest who has a stone scroll which can remove the stone effect (I can't remember exactly what the scroll was called) but he doesn't have anything that can revive my dead party member. So what would I do in that instance? I mean I know about the console cheat that can help you refill your party members heath before they die but I mean when they are dead. How can that be remedied?
    @Meri20098 You take your party with the dead character to a temple and pay for raising him from the dead.

When you get to BG II your own high level clerics will be able to do it after they reach level 11.
    But right now I'm still in BG 1 EE
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Hello and welcome! To raise a character you need to go to a temple while the character is still in you party and have them perform raise dead spell on him. On higher levels your priest can perform this himself (a level 5 priest spell).
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    The raise dead function at the temples is in the list of Cures that you can pay for. It will be grayed out until you click on one of your black-and-white "dead" party member photos. Once you highlight the black-and-white photo, the raise dead button will light up and the gold price will change to reflect the level of the dead character. It's usually about 100 gold per level.

If you dismiss a party member who is dead (black and white portrait), they are gone forever.
    Ohhh ok thanks everyone!!!
  • GenryuGenryu Member Posts: 372
    edited July 2015
    If you find your self struggling with, or getting overwhelmed when trying to micro manage a whole party at the same time, dont forget you can still issue commands to your party members whilst the game is paused (Spacebar is your friend!).

You will soon find out that making use of the pause button is essential to a good play through, you can even set the game to auto pause under specific conditions from the menu (i.e. When your party spot an enemy, or they spot a trap for example).

Thanks @Genryu I knew about that. I'm going to keep toying with making different characters until I find one that fits everything I want more or less.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    If you're raising a dead companion at a temple, note that prices vary between temples, sometimes quite a lot. It appears to be related to alignment: temples whose deity shares the dead companion's alignment seem to offer a better price.