Skip to content

BG NPCs in SoD

Hi all,

There are a lot of NPCs in BG that don't see much development or dialogue, particularly when compared with the cast from BG2. My question is ... As you can import any party from BG over to Siege of Dragonspear, does this mean that Beamdog has written new dialogue for all of the BG NPCs? I'm thinking about characters like Safana, Coran, Quayle, Tiax, etc. That seems like it would be a tremendous amount of work, especially if some of the lines use voice acting. Does anyone know about this?
Thanks!
~Pally
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Afraid I don't have information, but I will add my voice in curiosity. The characters who arrive by Cloakwood or later (Coran, Eldoth, Faldorn, Yeslick, Quayle, Tiax, Alora, Skie) I always felt were shortchanged in the original game since you don't have access to them for what feels like half of the game (you *can* rush to the Cloakwood to get them, but it's difficult to rush past Davaeorn and reach Baldur's Gate). In addition, some characters just don't get that much dialogue no matter when you find them (yes I'm looking at you, Imoen). I'm not worried about Imoen, it seems like she'll play a major role in the Siege of Dragonspear, but the same thought process applies to others, as @Paladin said.

They have said they will announce the list of voice actors before too long, which might give us at least some idea of who is getting new lines. That's not the whole story though, since a new voice actor could add lines to an existing character in SoD. Like you, I am very curious how much effort has been put into the extant characters. Do they all get new voice-acted dialogue? Will even the "minor" characters get cool party banters and a chance to shine? Inquiring minds want to know.
    QuartzJuliusBorisov
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    It'll be interesting to see which of the old voice actors they could return and what they do with characters who they couldn't get back. Do they not exist in SoD? Do they exist but are mute? Do they have a soundalike stand in for them? Guess we'll just have to wait and see!
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    I sincerely hope that every BG1 character is fully supported for this endeavor.
    dockaboomski
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    I heard a (completely unsubstantiated) rumor that Tiax will be prominently featured in his own grand questline in SoD. In fact, the better part of the unfolding main questline will be about him, and his glory. Praise him.
    jankielcognoscentusJuliusBorisov
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Kagain.. I like that greedy money grubbing dwarf.

And I also like my evil dwarves, much like Korgan in bg 2.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    My guess is they would try to put in one line for each of the old characters, but some of the characters are likely to have much larger roles. My guess is the BG2 canon party (Imoen, Minsc, Dynahiar, Jalhera, Kaled) will all feature prominently even if they aren't in the player party at the start.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    gangler said:

It sounds like there are at least a few characters who have new voice actors. When they were asked if they'd gotten Minsc's original Voice Actor they were unsure and had to discuss it for a moment, despite the fact that it had already been established that somebody had come in and voiced new lines for Minsc. That seems a pretty sure indication that there are some new people in the mix with the old.

Are you sure that's what you heard, @gangler? As I recall the announcement stream, the question which they had to discuss was about who voiced the squeak for Boo, not about Minsc. And I think it was confirmed some while ago that Minsc's original voice actor (Jim Cummings) was involved in the new project.
    cmk24FaydarkGoodSteverorikon
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Uh... y'all heard Minsc in the SoD trailer, right? Certainly sounded like Jim Cummings to me...
    shawne said:

Uh... y'all heard Minsc in the SoD trailer, right? Certainly sounded like Jim Cummings to me...

Yes indeed. Although, of course, talented actors can be pretty good at imitating one another!

• AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760

And I think it was confirmed some while ago that Minsc's original voice actor (Jim Cummings) was involved in the new project.

Yes, Minsc is voiced by Jim Cummings in Siege of Dragonspear.

The other voice actors will be revealed soon, but those who have watched our stream have probably already heard some familiar voices.
    batoorcmk24JuliusBorisov
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Or infer from the screenshots - I'll take the house odds that Diane Pershing and Jim Meskimen are back as Safana and Edwin, respectively...
    batoorJuliusBorisov
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I heard Khalid and Jaheira voice a few lines in the stream. Khalid sounded a bit different to me, Jaheira a bit closer to the original. I hope they brought back a bunch of the original cast.

(Kevin Michael Richardson, please!)
    JuliusBorisov
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    I'm just praying that Frank Welker is on that list and possibly Earl Boen *fingerscrossed*
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I've watched the stream, and I *know* I heard some lines from Safana that didn't exist before. Sounds like the original voice actress to me.
    cmk24JuliusBorisov
    @LordRumfish - new voiced lines for Safana, agreed. Same actress, not so sure.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    She didn't even age
    elminsterAstroBryGuyJuliusBorisovStarflower2525
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    Unless they start bringing these NPCs through to BG2 and develop them further there I would much prefer them to focus on those that are present in that game. I think SoD will likely be too short to really develop much of a bond with these short-changed characters.

I would actually love to see more BG1 NPCs added to BG2 and fleshed out, but I think it's unlikely to happen sadly.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Paladin said:

I heard Khalid and Jaheira voice a few lines in the stream. Khalid sounded a bit different to me, Jaheira a bit closer to the original. I hope they brought back a bunch of the original cast.

It could be same actor, but, you know, it's been almost 20 years. Do you sound exactly the same as you did 20 years ago?
    Aedankaguana
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    If Melissa Disney doesn't turn out to be one of the voice actors I'm taking my toys and going home.
    KilivitzJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]Flashburn

Paladin said:

It could be same actor, but, you know, it's been almost 20 years. Do you sound exactly the same as you did 20 years ago?
    Probably not! 20 years ago, I was about five years old. :smile:

elminsterAstroBryGuykaguanaJuliusBorisov
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361

If Melissa Disney doesn't turn out to be one of the voice actors I'm taking my toys and going home.

Why do they even need Melissa Disney to come back? Imoen can use BG2 soundset.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    billbisco said:

I was rather hoping she might say something new.

• cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    billbisco said:

Because Imoen is likely to have new lines in SoD and it would be nice if they were voiced by the same person.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Paladin said:

Paladin said:

'Probably not?' You mean, you're not sure?
    Paladin
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Paladin said:

Paladin said:

By Ao, I feel old now...
    Paladin

Paladin said:

Paladin said:

By Ao, I feel old now...
    Wise, not old. :neutral:
    Hudzy