Skip to content

Maximum age ...

icebladeiceblade Member Posts: 19
What do you think about maximum age being implemented?

I recall soloing icewind dale with a human was really not
very realistic, because the resting times got pretty long later...

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    You mean that your human slept for years and woke up with a big beard?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I am not sure if this is a serious thread. If it is, I don't see the problem.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    What?
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I THINK what is being asked is if there should be a maximum sleep time implemented so that characters aren't unrealistically resting for days on end in the middle of a realistic dungeon after being beaten up by realistic yuan-ti. If that's not the question, I have no guess.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @procco That's how I understood it as well. However, it is not a problem since you can simply disable Rest until healed and limit resta yourself.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    If we had the 1st edition haste spell which aged you an entire each time you used it, this might be a factor. As it it, this makes little sense to implement.

In the case that you really want to restrict resting, some sort of supply system (e.g. Pillars of Eternity) would be better. Personally I prefer to let the player decide whether to abuse the resting system or not. Balance is overrated in single player RPGs.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Given the reference to humans specifically, I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to spending in-game decades resting, and how that should start to have negative effects on the characters. Of course, I'm kind of blown away by that much resting, but to each their own.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I sleep a lot in the IE games, and even after a full adventure crammed with rest periods, it never exceeds a year. There might be a realism issue with rest times, but getting too old because of resting shouldn't be one of them.

I've always thought the PnP 1-year aging from Haste was rather excessive. I'd never use the spell, not with that big of a cost, and certainly not when other level 3 mage spells lack the same effect.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Obviously the in-game length of a run depends upon playing style, mods, and perhaps especially upon how complete a run it is. Also, some timings have changed in the EEs from the original games.

In my own case, playing the EEs as a completionist, and with "natural" resting (i.e. resting when the characters complain that they're tired, and also very occasionally when it's necessary to re-arrange/re-charge spellbooks for a particularly difficult battle), a full run usually takes me 400-500 in-game days for BG1ee and 190-240 in-game days for BG2ee.

How long are you talking about taking, @iceblade?
  • PKMN12PKMN12 Member Posts: 7
    exactly how long are you resting for this to be a factor O.o
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I'm guessing you must have been soloing with a fighter class and didn't make much use of clerical healing? I can see how the resting hours could add up in that case.
  • icebladeiceblade Member Posts: 19
    Yes, I soloed with fighter classes. Once with a dual F/A and once with a Fighter.

It was melee and the rest times were enormous. I really didn't get that far.

I think I played until I got to Yxunomei before I lost motivation, but I don't know
    exactly because I played IWD too many times. I also tried a F/M/C-run a while ago.
  • GenryuGenryu Member Posts: 372
    If you don't have a divine caster in your party, then rest times can become a bit ridiculous. On my current solo run, I've often slept for 17 days+ at a time!