Skip to content

M’Khiin Grubdoubler, BG2EE

1) Hoping she's evil. 2) Hoping XP Cap is gone 3) will we be able to import our BG1 team to BG2 with current stats and abilities? I hate going to find Dorn and see him gimped compared to the other former party members. Would love to try the goblin instead of the Vampire in BG2EE.

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    1) I would guess CN.

2) The XP cap is raised (to 12), not gone.

3) You won't be able to import a team into BG2 because plot. However, NPCs will be levelled up automatically when you first meet them, just as they always have been.
    ButtercheeseAWizardDidItSmilingSwordJuliusBorisov
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    My guess is that it'll be very easy to mod out any xp cap. (Right now, all one needs to do is change a value using any text editor iirc.) Not sure about 1
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    GrammarsaladganglerJuliusBorisovMortianna
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I assume that Voghiln will be keeping his NG alignment for consistency with BP2 (and indeed with his cameo appearance in Neera's ToB quest).

The Flaming Fist are officially Lawful Neutral, and Schael Corwin is a Fist, so most likely she'll be LN too. Presumably the FF would accept alignments one step away from their own, but I agree with @gangler that her ascribed motives sound more like Good than Evil, so perhaps she could be LG, but probably not LE.

Baravar is a NG deity, and Glint is apparently a Cleric/Thief follower of Baravar, so he's most likely NG too. However, FR gods generally accept followers one step removed from their own alignment, so rather than have two new NPCs who are NG, it might make sense for Glint to be CG, or conceivably TN instead (but not LG because Thief).

However, I agree that they're likely to be offering some new option for Evil players, so surely M'Khiin must be the Evil-aligned one. Goblins are generally Neutral Evil, so I guess M'Khiin is probably NE too.
    Mortianna
    If Corwin actually has the archer kit, then she has to be a ranger, and hence good. I'm not entirely convinced she is a ranger though, it doesn't seem very Flaming Fisty to me.
    Mortianna
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I wonder whether viewing the SoD NPCs as prospective replacements might shed some light on BG1 characters who don't make the jump:

If M'Khiin's spellcasting is based on the Druid template, she may be meant to replace Faldorn (or, more broadly, Branwen).

Glint is a Cleric/Thief, so he might be a substitute for Tiax.

If Corwin is an Archer, you could certainly make the case that she's taking Kivan's spot (especially since Kivan was never officially given the Archer kit in BG:EE).

And if Garrick and Eldoth are both out of the picture, we have a replacement bard in Voghiln.
    JuliusBorisovMortianna
    Since SoD is an expansion pack, there are no NPCs who won't make the jump. It will import whatever party you finished BG1 with. Some (many?) may not get any new content, but you will still be able to have them in your party.
    @Fardragon: Check the other thread - the devs have said that while you can import your actual party from BG1 to SoD (presumably for the initial part set in Baldur's Gate), not all BG1 NPCs will follow you to Dragonspear.
    edited July 2015
    I must have missed that. Do you have the actual quote, because I have looked through the thread and can't find it?

It's logical that some of the BG1 NPCs wouldn't choose to follow you to another region though.
    It's a bit vague. "Availability" could simply mean they aren't available to recruit if you don't import them. Or it could mean that Baeloth will clear off to BP2 at some point in the story. Or it could mean that the majority of the BG1 NPCs won't accompany you beyond the city. Or it could mean that Imoen, Minsc, Jalheira and Khalid will follow Dynahiar on some other mission and you won't see them again until the end.
    Agreed, @Fardragon, it could conceivably mean a wide variety of things. However, the new story must somehow account for the departure of numerous BG1 NPCs even though they can start SoD with you, and @shawne's particular interpretation is a sensible one.
    Oh, I agree that it is probable. I don't think it would be feasable to add content for around 30 NPCs, and you don't really want to depend on luck for the player to pick the ones with something to say.

The lack of a sensible neutral party also suggests that more appropiate characters (e.g. Branwyn, Faldorn) won't be featured.
    Mortianna
    How is Faldorn appropriate for a Neutral party if Jaheira isn't? If the Druid class didn't have an alignment requirement, she'd be Evil to the core.
    GallowglassGrammarsaladSmilingSword
    My issue is with Jaheira being in the same party as Dorn. I could imagine party with Jaheira, Khalid, Kivan, Neera, and Safana, or a party with Faldorn, Dorn, Neera, Safana and Branwyn.

But it may be that only the 5 canon party members, 8 Beamdog characters, Viconia, Edwin and Safana is the roster for SoD. 16 is plenty really.
    But... Jaheira has always been in the same party as Dorn. She doesn't have conflicts with him in BG1 or BG2.
    edited July 2015
    Poor writing. She is a harper agent, he is the mass murdering servant of a demon.
    SmilingSwordMortianna
    She doesn't quite see eye to eye with Harper ideology, as her BG2 quest reveals.
    edited July 2015
    shawne said:

She doesn't quite see eye to eye with Harper ideology, as her BG2 quest reveals.

That doesn't mean she likes mass murdering demonic minions.

Her issue is with her superiors, not with the overall objectives of the group (do-gooding).

She barely tolerates Viconia, and she has much more reason to hope that she can change than Dorn.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    GrammarsaladSmilingSword
    edited July 2015
    She tolerates Edwin too, who has no such hope of change. She'll help Edwin seize a Nether Scroll under the belief it'll allow him to become a lich. She tolerates Korgan's bloodlust and generally vile behavior. She tolerates Sarevok's presence in the group even if Charname doesn't geas him. There's a lot she's willing to put up with, because that's who she is.
    Grammarsalad
    Edwin is obviously a self deluded loser who has about as much chance of becoming a lich as he does Miss World. Korgan is just a thug, not a minion of evil upon the Earth.
    GrammarsaladSmilingSwordNightRevan
    Fardragon said:

Edwin is obviously a self deluded loser who has about as much chance of becoming a lich as he does Miss World.

Well, no, hang on a moment, that's not so.

When you first meet Edwin, it's true that he has delusions of grandeur ... but if you stick with him to the end of the series, then he really does become an epic-level archmage. At that stage he surely could have chosen to become a lich, if he hadn't subsequently (as described in his epilogue) made the mistake of thinking he could challenge Elminster.
    edited July 2015
    Edwin making a mistake like challenging Elminster was an inevitable, and foreseeable, consequence of his character, not some random misfortune. What can change the nature of a man?

Not 30 or so levels.
    Fardragon said:

Edwin making a mistake like challenging Elminster was an inevitable, and foreseeable, consequence of his character, not some random misfortune.

I do agree that it's in Edwin's character to over-reach himself eventually, but I don't agree that his chance of first becoming a lich is entirely delusionary. Having survived (in your party) to become an epic archmage, it would have been quite plausible for him to become a lich before finally making his Big Mistake.

Of course, if he'd managed to become a lich, then perhaps instead of challenging Elminster (and coming unstuck), his Big Mistake might have been to challenge Szass Tam or Larloch (and probably come equally unstuck).
    Fardragon said:

What can change the nature of a man?

When by nature you mean character or personality, many things can affect it - quite often simply maturing and ageing can make quite a difference. And in the Forgotten Realms, with such possibilities as undeath, even a man's physical nature may change.

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Since Edwin's a Red Wizard it's natural course of action fot him to challenge the zulkir of his school first and then start plotting against Szass Tam. Many other zulkirs and alike have tried to dethrone the old lich and failed miserably. I think Larloch would be beyond his reach anyway, even after ToB. Maybe he would have a slim chance while fighting him toe-to-toe, but no way he'd manage to kill him inside Warlock's Crypt with all of Larloch's high level lich minions at command. The guy's just ill news for Edwin.
    edited July 2015
    Funny you should mention Warlock's Crypt, given it's proximity to the area covered by the SoD wilderness.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Yeah, it could be splendid to visit Larloch's dominion, but there's serious high level stuff out there.

As for Edwin since he's known for his impatience regarding power gaining he could also try to track down and challenge current Magister. They are not insanely powerful but Azuth grant some neat powers to his proxies.
    He could also challenge demilich The Creeping Doom which could be easier than attacking Larloch, but well, even Mystra said that this great wyrm could be considered the most powerful being in Toriil when comes to sheer magical prowess. But he developed many unique spells which Edwin could benefit from.
    edited July 2015
    Edwin: "Now, my minions, on our way to Dragonspear Castle, we are going to make a slight diversion. Yes, yes, the crypt will be guarded, but it shouldn't cause any problems with a Bhaalspawn to supplement my mighty power."