Skip to content

Dragonspear Screenshot Analysis

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited July 2015
    Hey, @Avenger_teambg, just out of curiosity: is Beamdog obligated to stick to the character templates established in BG1, or can you make lore-appropriate changes like making Safana a Swashbuckler, Montaron an Assassin or Branwen a Priest of Tempus?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    The event video shows Imoen present and interacting with the party, but as a guide or quest-giver, not as a party member. Given her prominence in BG1&2, this seems to me significant.

I suspect we'll find that Imoen can't be included in the party for SoD, or can't be included until late in the game, because she (again) has some special role in the story. Presumably, if she's imported at the start, then she'll quickly be detached on some pretext (e.g. scouting ahead), and not be seen again until we encounter her in her special role.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    elminster said:

Fardragon said:

Does that mean that thieves/bards won't be able to go over level 12?

Yes.
    Is this 100% confirmed? There's a big difference between a level 12 thief and a level 12 fighter.

When I heard the cap was ~level 12, I figured it meant 1 million xp. It doesn't break SOA in that the original NPCs have character files up to or about that same level. A couple of areas would have to scale in difficulty more based on level, including the starting dungeon, but at least they don't have to change the preexisting NPCs.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Unless something changes or there's something I am blissfully unaware of, there will be XP cap instead of the level cap. So you can get level 12th thieves, but not level 1th fighters.
    Ardanis said:

Unless something changes or there's something I am blissfully unaware of, there will be XP cap instead of the level cap. So you can get level 12th thieves, but not level 1th fighters.

Aha! Are you here confirming, @Ardanis, that Thieves (and Bards) will be able to reach 12th Level (440,000 XP), not only Druids (300,000 XP)? I don't think that's been made entirely clear until now ...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    luskan said:

elminster said:

Fardragon said:

Does that mean that thieves/bards won't be able to go over level 12?

Yes.
    Is this 100% confirmed?
    Yep
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Why is Imoen and Viconia the only ones getting new portraits except for the others? To me, i'm fine with the original portraits. The only character that needed a correct portrait was Viconia.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2015
    Probably because of their importance to the plot. It may be that some of the other important NPCs will also get new portraits (Safana) but they haven't been done yet.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
  • BazzaBazza Member Posts: 57
    My guess at the new XP limit is 600000 (or 610000) every class gets two additional levels during SoD, just like the 161000 limit in TotSC gave every class one additional level over the original BG limit of 89000.
    Bazza said:

My guess at the new XP limit is 600000 (or 610000) every class gets two additional levels during SoD, just like the 161000 limit in TotSC gave every class one additional level over the original BG limit of 89000.

I reckon that's too much. Two extra levels for everyone would make early-SoA too easy.

I hope they keep it down to (at most) just over 440,000.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Nimran said:

I don't know, sorry. I personally would like to give Viconia and Branwen their proper kits.

Viconia's kit? Priest of Shar kit confirmed?
    No.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited July 2015
    shawne said:

Quartz said:

At least if they're going to replace portraits like it's some kind of fan mod, the Viconia one is pretty decent.

It should be, it's pretty blatantly based on Miloch's:

I do not know about you guys, but I'll still use Miloch's portrait.
    New Viconia portrait isn't bad, (10x better than her portrait from BG1) but Miloch's portrait still "rule supreme".
    This image shows an incomplete party (4 members), therefore probably very early in the game, meeting Corwin outside Sorcerous Sundries.
    I reckon it's a fair bet that this is actually Corwin's recruitment scene.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Adul said:

I'm glad this topic already exists, this way I don't need to create it. This is more feedback than analysis, but I guess it fits the mold well enough. Here goes...

The new area art is simply beautiful! It's inspiring to see the evolution of Beamdog's area art from BG1:EE to Dragonspear. The improvement is very noticeable.

Great post! I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for that analysis.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Edvin said:

I do not know about you guys, but I'll still use Miloch's portrait.

I agree - Miloch's portrait is just super awesome!
  • BazzaBazza Member Posts: 57
    @Gallowglass I disagree and think it will be 600000 ish, if we're playing for over 25 hours the least I would expect is two levels gained for pure class characters.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

I just noticed.

"I long to see fresh air again, and give Dynaheir and I some time to rest! Even mighty berserkers can tire of adventuring..."

Way to rub the salt in the wound, Beamdog, and remind us all that Minsc isn't actually a berserker. D:

But...he was trained by a Rashemi berserker lodge and has an Enrage ability...

Way to rub the salt in the wound, Beamdog, and remind us all that Minsc isn't actually a berserker. D:

But...he was trained by a Rashemi berserker lodge and has an Enrage ability...

Perhaps the way to think of it is that Minsc is indeed a Berzerker, but he's a "Rashemi Berserker", which is a special sort of Berserker more like a Ranger than a Fighter, and unique to Rashemi warriors (of whom Minsc is the only one in this part of the world).

Er ... and that's more-or-less the canonical explanation, IIRC.
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    I saw an image for a quest saying "Skie's Plan" . I can't find this again. Does anyone have it?
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @Nonnahswriter @Gallowglass
    Yeah, Minsc being a ranger actually makes perfect sense from a lore point of view.
    Rashemen is a wild, untamed land and every warrior there needs to know their way around nature. If anything, he'd need to be dualclassed.
    Play Mask of the Betrayer and you'll understand ;)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I know it makes a lot of sense. I was just poking fun. ;)
  • MaeVarMaeVar Member Posts: 3
    Looks great, but i dont like the GUI. The scrollbar and the arrows looks bad. I hope the fix that.